jes

Ideas Of Eating Healthy Breakfast

21 posts in this topic

hi everyone how are you ? i was wondering if we can discuss this topic, if i go grocery store ,what stuff i should buy to make my breakfast healthy

This is quite subjective and people have so many conflicting ideas about this. One thing is certain - having breakfast yields no metabolic advantage or benefit. I actually think that waiting until noon is probably the healthiest thing you can do. 

When it comes to food. Something low glycemic that gives slow but long lasting energy. Fat and protein with fibrous vegetables are most satiating nutrients and great for stable blood sugar levels. Eggs, spinach, broccoli, sardines are probably the most nutrient dense options that are quick and easy.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

A green smoothie or a green juice.

But try out different things and look how you feel for the rest of the day. I used to eat a huge bowl of oat meal, then transitioned to a smoothie, and not I eat nothing until lunch.

Something with lots of water is very nice to hydrate and energize in the morning. Like e.g. melons, peaches, mangos, smoothies. 

Like @Siim Land said, this is so subjective that a specific answer doesn't really exist. Like him, I prefer to skip breakfast altogether and use an Intermittent fasting style eating routine. For one thing it's easier with less time spent cooking, cleaning and eating. And for another, the morning hours are my most productive time of the day and eating anything substantial in the morning makes me feel groggy, less focused, etc. 

If you're set on eating breakfast, my main recommendation would be to keep it carb free. Something like a few eggs cooked in coconut oil, a protein shake and mixed nuts, etc. Basically protein and fat, no carbs. Eating carbs causes the release of serotonin which causes a calming effect. Not ideal for breakfast! Carbs are best eaten before bed to aid in restful sleep. 

@jes Like other commenters, I also think it's subjective to what your body wants/needs, which is going to have to be something you're experimenting with and getting sensitive to. 

When I feel my food addiction getting out of control, doing some intermittent fasting (IF) helps, and I find I usually end up eating too much the night before too, which makes me not hungry for breakfast (the addiction says I "deserve" to eat because it's breakfast-time but my bloated feeling says I'm not feeling good.). So in my case, the healthiest breakfast was no breakfast for a while.

I think it's sometimes better to say what to avoid than what to have. Big things to avoid (in order of priority) are sugar, processed foods, and too many carbs, and excess meat. Best things are a balanced small meal of fruits and vegetables (fibre and nutrients), protein, fat (fat is not evil; just bad fats and too much), and some complex carbs if you can handle them without getting addicted. Also avoid any foods that are addictive for you. (I have a bunch: bread, butter, banana+peanut butter combo, milk+granola combo, tomato+cheese+bread combo... haha and the list goes on...). FWIW I'm not sure if I trust blended fruit drinks. They seem similar to juices in that they can give a sugar rush, which would make them more addictive than chewed food.

Edited by philosogi

What I am reading now: Smile at Fear, Chögyam Trungpa

It depends on what is Your biased definition of "healthy".

It also depends on how does Your first meal of the day corresponds to the rest of Your food intake of the day.
I'm not able to suggest anything without knowing those details.

And for the sake of not being a pretentious asshole I can say that a lot of people tend to do very well when they have high fat, moderate to high protein, moderate carb breakfast.

Most of them report hunger blunting effects, which lets them focus and not get distracted by cravings while they work.

That's it. No magic behind breakfast. 

@Thomas I agree with you about the non-existent advantage of eating in the morning. It's the breakfast myth. Get up, eat a lot of whole grain cereal and fruit to boost your metabolism and prevent your body from kicking into starvation mode. Grrreat advice there :D

I've been eating only one meal a day and have never felt better, had more energy or been stronger. Eating less frequently has more benefits. Probably the greatest one is the increased longevity and life-span. When you deprive any animal periodically from food for a certain period of time it will live longer. So it probably is with us.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

@Siim Land

<Highfive>

Man, I eat one meal a day for like consistent 3 years, even though the data suggests it is not optimal for MPS.
It is for me a good deal to sacrifice being theoretically optimized for muscle growth for the focus I have while being fasted.

Razorsharp mind for the whole day!

On 27.08.2016 at 0:34 AM, ChimpBrain said:

If you're set on eating breakfast, my main recommendation would be to keep it carb free. Something like a few eggs cooked in coconut oil, a protein shake and mixed nuts, etc. Basically protein and fat, no carbs. Eating carbs causes the release of serotonin which causes a calming effect. Not ideal for breakfast! Carbs are best eaten before bed to aid in restful sleep. 

Ohhh...you made null and voided all of the doctors  have recommended during many decades about the importance of breakfasts and their carb filling 

Your body runs on 3 eight-hour cycles per day. Formally referred to as the Circadian Rhythms, and known for thousands of years via Ayurvedic teachings, to me understanding and applying these body clock principles has been the reason behind enjoying easy digestion, keeping my weight from fluctuating, never experiencing fatigue and maximizing metabolism.

These are the cycles:

4AM-12PM Elimination (Detox: Liquids, smoothies, light or high-water content fruit)

12PM-8PM Appropriation (Solid foods, main, larger and heavier meals)

8PM-4AM Assimilation (Light teas, or just water, maybe a hot chocolate or turmeric milk)

I myself have tried almost every diet and method but all in all i have found the body seems to adapt to any diet although by following these cycles have shown the best benefits for me and make me feel great and full of life. 

There is much more information on these cycles and what they mean but i'll need to find them again.

Try it for yourself, start your day with a detox smoothie or light fruit and see how you feel.

B R E A T H E

29 minutes ago, pluto said:

Your body runs on 3 eight-hour cycles per day. Formally referred to as the Circadian Rhythms, and known for thousands of years via Ayurvedic teachings, to me understanding and applying these body clock principles has been the reason behind enjoying easy digestion, keeping my weight from fluctuating, never experiencing fatigue and maximizing metabolism.

These are the cycles:

4AM-12PM Elimination (Detox: Liquids, smoothies, light or high-water content fruit)

12PM-8PM Appropriation (Solid foods, main, larger and heavier meals)

8PM-4AM Assimilation (Light teas, or just water, maybe a hot chocolate or turmeric milk)

I myself have tried almost every diet and method but all in all i have found the body seems to adapt to any diet although by following these cycles have shown the best benefits for me and make me feel great and full of life. 

There is much more information on these cycles and what they mean but i'll need to find them again.

Try it for yourself, start your day with a detox smoothie or light fruit and see how you feel.

That ties in nicely with all the known benefits of intermittent fasting . You're basically saying that the vast majority of your calories are consumed during an 8hr period , which is exactly what the most common intermittent fasting protocol prescribes. Cool :)

@jes

Your digestion isn't in full swing as soon as you rise so it's best to keep it somewhat light and nothing too cold IMO. If you're having a smoothie, make sure it isn't ice cold! You can't go too wrong with warmed rolled oats and blueberries/acid fruits. Oats are cheap as hell too which makes them a no brainer. Berries can be expensive but if you buy 1kg frozen bags it won't be too hard on the wallet.

My breakfast usually consists of plain pot set yogurt with kiwi fruit and pumpkin seeds.

This is what I usually do:

• I start with a detox: Turmeric, wheat grass, and lemon in warm water. 
  • After 30 minutes. I drink a cup of green tea. I also make a smoothie. The ingredients of my smoothie are berries, specially black berries  and blueberries for being a potent antioxidant, 1/2 or 1 banana for potassium and digestion, 1/2 avocado for healthy fat, and one spoon of chia seeds. Keep your breakfast light but rich. 

I consider to buy the following vegetables from grocery store depending on the season, roughly in order:

• ·   Kale
  • ·   Spinach
  • ·   Broccoli
  • ·   Garlic
  • ·   Onion
  • ·   Artichoke
  • ·   Asparagus
  • ·   Sweet potato
  • ·   Tomato
  • ·   Bell Pepper
  • ·   Beets (including beet greens)
  • ·   Peas
  • ·   Onion
  • ·   Carrots
  • ·   Celery
  • .   Lemon

I consider to buy the following fruits from grocery store depending on the season, roughly in order:

• ·   Blackberry
  • ·   Raspberry
  • ·   Avocado
  • ·   Cranberries
  • ·   Kiwi
  • ·   Tomato
  • ·   Cantaloupe
  • ·   Honeydew
  • ·   Blueberries
  • ·   Grapefruits
  • ·   Watermelon 
  • ·   Banana
  • ·   Coconut

Obviously, you need to know what fruits/vegetables to buy organic. 

Edited by Seyed

new_clean_15_and_dirty_dozen_2016.jpg

The *Dirty Dozen* is what you need to buy Organic.

(Usually the Favourites that people like are mostly GMO/Highly sprayed with pesticides/herbicides.

The Clean 15 don't have to be organic.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

4 Easy Tips on How to Make Healthy Recipes :

For many people, making healthy recipes seems too difficult and time-consuming…

But with some advance planning and some basic knowledge of nutrition, it is easy to create a week’s worth of healthy meals that you and your family will love. The key to creating delicious and healthy meals for the family is planning …and lots of it!

Planning ahead of time an entire week of healthy recipe meals is the best way to create dishes you can be proud of while keeping cost and time commitment to a minimum. So below are amazing tips you can use to make healthy meals all the time.

full article:

https://goo.gl/ShmPsW