Thewritersunion

Resource Based Economy Mega-Thread

45 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, aurum said:

Really excellent. The deep systems thinking he goes into feels very Yellow to me. Reminds me a lot of Charles Eisenstein, who I'm guessing you already know:

https://charleseisenstein.org/

On paper I'm mostly interested in degrowth economics. I already have a Masters degree in general economics so it feels like a natural transition.

But of course this goes way beyond economics. We are talking about a whole new world, one that is going to revolutionize spirituality, medicine, child care, sexuality, technology, agriculture, etc. And I find anything that hints at this new world really catches my eye.

@aurum Yes love Charles! Went to his retreat this past March at Esalen. Daniel and Charles have interviewed each other for their podcasts.

Just listened to this - excellent conversation, particularly starting around 37 mins when they start taking Q&A questions. The last 30 mins are super powerful in particular. 

Have you read Reinventing Organizations? Might be of interest to you given your focus on economics. 

Anyone know what the main differences between Resource-Based Economy and Doughnut Economics are? Seems like a lot of similarities, but unsure if there's large scale differences between the two models. 

Edited by tuckerwphotography

Well, The Venus Project is taking action, planning to create a center for resource management. Their plan is to eventually create a city based on a resource-based economy and its values, with technology and architectural designs by Jacque Fresco — the creator of the RB economy.

Pretty interesting and intelligent thinking behind it.

Edited by Arzola

20 hours ago, tuckerwphotography said:

@aurum Yes love Charles! Went to his retreat this past March at Esalen. Daniel and Charles have interviewed each other for their podcasts.

Just listened to this - excellent conversation, particularly starting around 37 mins when they start taking Q&A questions. The last 30 mins are super powerful in particular.

That's awesome, Charles was a big part of me getting into this kind of thinking. Reading Sacred Economics from a perspective of someone who formally studied economics was transformative.

I also really liked this panel, all excellent communicators and deep thinkers.

Very interesting that Jordan mentioned an economic crash, e.g hyperinflation, would be a god-send right now. COVID may be helping fulfill that exact role. Right now the Federal Reserve is buying huge amounts of corporate bonds and it only seems to be buying more, not slowing down. Basically our economy is only hanging on to the degree it is because of massive government intervention. COVID exacerbated and exposed huge problems we already had. So question is, will that invention even continue to work?

I was also glad to hear them mention UBI. I think it's inevitable that some form of a UBI or UBS is going to be necessary. The problem is, UBI is a complete system disrupt-er. It's a massive step forward to eliminating the artificial scarcity of society, but the system that runs on artificial scarcity can't allow that. The Republicans are actually right in that regard, it would cause a lot of people to stop "working". What they don't understand is that is exactly what we need.

21 hours ago, tuckerwphotography said:

Have you read Reinventing Organizations? Might be of interest to you given your focus on economics.

I haven't but I'll check it out. My thoughts are that we are moving towards more of a worker-coop model for businesses. Less hierarchy, less centralization, less command and control and more general equality. Sounds very Green to me.

3 hours ago, tuckerwphotography said:

Anyone know what the main differences between Resource-Based Economy and Doughnut Economics are? Seems like a lot of similarities, but unsure if there's large scale differences between the two models. 

I haven't read her book but my initial thoughts are that Doughnut Economics is more of a subset of RBE. In other words, a resource-based economy will have "doughnut" characteristics, i.e circularity, but also many other characteristics. Circularity is just one feature of many important features. If you know more about it I'd love to hear.

How would we go about the research in RBE:

How is it decided what areas are of interest and what are not? There must be at least some limits in place as the researchers themselves still cannot be fully relied upon as self-bias is in action (even when they're conscious there's an influence) and one has limited pov (even when the pov is extensive).

Edited by Loving Radiance

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.