Angelo D

Buddhist criticism of beauty

28 posts in this topic

@Leo Gura Just curious...has Rick Archer ever reached out for a possible interview on the BATGAP? The format seems like a fit for the type of teaching you are offering....

Edited by Merkabah

1 hour ago, Merkabah said:

@Leo Gura Just curious...has Rick Archer ever reached out for a possible interview on the BATGAP? The format seems like a fit for the type of teaching you are offering....

Not that I know of, but I'm bad about checking my emails.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think it's possible for people to suggest Leo as a guest via the website. Assuming Leo would want to. Frankly I'm not sure it's entirely compatible audience, but hey why not.

10 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Not that I know of, but I'm bad about checking my emails.

Have you tried searching for batgap or rick archer in your mailbox.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

It is, or it isn't, there are many reasons why you might view something as beautiful, but the key here is that it is beautiful for you because of thous reasons. 

Edited by purerogue

18 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

In this way the ego is never technically wrong. It's just highly partial and missing a lot of stuff.

If you examine a piece of art, you don't love the partial but the details that make up the whole. Absolute = relative. Wrong is the perception that you love only the woman in the painting, when in fact you love all the colors on the God's canvas.

Edited by Member

On 28/08/2020 at 11:45 AM, Angelo D said:

So maybe it is that there is an intrinsic beauty in all things, but to say that one thing is more beautiful than another is something like a judgment and therefor false. 

So a pretty woman is not more beautiful, in truth, than a paperclip. 

Tell me if I understand.

Do you want to know if that's what Buddhists believe, or if it's true? Because it's not true.

Beauty is a quality of perception, the subject perceiving qualities in the object.

Perhaps the point is that appearances can be deceptive and you have to go deeper, realer, truer.