Breakingthewall

What is a thought?

29 posts in this topic

Unreality.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

1 hour ago, zeroISinfinity said:

Thought is a thing that convinced Neil that there is no Consciousness. Must've been helluva brainstorm. 

Sorry for not adding any value to the thread, but this made me crack the fuck up 

39 minutes ago, allislove said:

@Breakingthewall Great insight.

You are absolutely right about nothing is everything, and vice versa. The suffering arises when you think you are somewhere in between. If we look from the "everything" perspective you create thoughts, you are the thought itself. If we look from the "nothing" perspective you are that that never changes. Thought come and go, so you are not it. I find it useful to think about the thought as a perception, something you perceive. Ego is deeply believed thought: "I am separate". An illusion, since the ego doesn't exist. There are no problems with thoughts at all, only if the thought doesn't feel good to you and you believe in it. The thoughts which don't feel good ultimately arise from the belief in a separate entity. I find it useful to make a distinction between thought and not a thought. What is not a thought? Experience of bodily sensations is not a thought.

ego does not exist? from the point of view that only consciousness exists and the rest is illusion, true, it does not exist, nor does the wasp exist, but it stings you. the point is that at this level thoughts do exist, real as the wasp. they are "something", not "nothing". I understand non-duality at the theoretical level, but I have not experienced it, therefore for me it is nothing. For me the reality is that thoughts are something, and that something can, in some way that I don't understand, stick to you, merge with your being. I have also seen that you can separate them from your being, and that bad or good thoughts are the same

13 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

ego does not exist?

The ego exists only as a story. Say, I see a rope in a dark room and I think it's a snake. I turn on the lights in the room and see that this is a rope. It always was a rope, the snake exists only as a story :)

I understand non-duality at the theoretical level, but I have not experienced it, therefore for me it is nothing.

How do you know you haven't experienced it if you don't know what it is?

I have also seen that you can separate them from your being, and that bad or good thoughts are the same

That's a great insight. Indeed, you can let go of any thought. It's up to you whether to believe the thought or not ;)

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

2 minutes ago, allislove said:

That's a great insight. Indeed, you can let go of any thought. It's up to you whether to believe the thought or not ;)

Believe? Who believes or not is the ego. The being doesn't believe, it's more like a mechanical process. You create like a shape, a wave, a thing, that can glues to you, merge. You can see it and when you see, it can't merge. 

About non duality...I don't doubt that in deeper levels sure you get it, but I see duality. Being and thought. 

I know all of this looks like mental masturbation, but I think it's useful to educate your mind to get opening

@Breakingthewall

There is no who, everything is one, choice without chooser :P
Just be open to the possibility that there are no deeper levels, that what is in your direct experience right now, as you call it a duality, is in fact non-duality :) 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

How can one create a thought when one observes them appearing & ceasing?

Is a thought creating itself?

Is creation possible because of observing nothing?

Is observation = creation?

Life Purpose journey

Presence. Goodness. Grace. Love.

2 hours ago, zeroISinfinity said:

Inside - outside That's duality. What if YOU is singular. 

yep, it's a duality. as i was trying to point to: if you see that the inside depends on the outside and vice versa, then you'll start seeing that Reality is 0nE.

Every duality is a strange loop, basically. Strange loops are everywhere, simply because reality is fundamentally non-dualistic (One/Nothing/Absolute) and not dualistic. It APPEARS dualistic however. It makes sense (from the pov of a human) to talk about dualities such as good-bad, inside, outside. It appears as though there is a world of opposites; this is the ego's job of creating this apparant dualistic world, wherein a separate self shall -by all means- survive. 

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.