Dryas

Is a life purpose necessary?

9 posts in this topic

I saw this twitter thread.

I’m not quite sure if I agree or disagree. Thoughts? Could you live life like this? Personally, I don’t I could..

Edited by Dryas

Well even being an "explorer" like what she's describing could be considered a life purpose, it's just not a consolidated/focused one like we traditionally think.

Nothing is "necessary". There is nothing wrong or right about wanting to stay in your hometown and live a quiet life as a farmer or whatever.

Life purpose is just for those who feel a strong affinity towards something in particular and want to have something to pour themselves into because otherwise a lot of uncomfortable feelings come up like feeling you wasted your potential.

There is no meaning to any of this stuff that is happening. We are small sacks of meat floating on a pebble of an endless cosmic beach. Enjoy the ride! Then you "die" and who knows what's next.

Edited by Roy

hrhrhtewgfegege

10 minutes ago, Roy said:

Well even being an "explorer" like what she's describing could be considered a life purpose, it's just not a consolidated/focused one like we traditionally think.

Nothing is "necessary". There is nothing wrong or right about wanting to stay in your hometown and live a quiet life as a farmer or whatever.

I kind of agree with the whole nothing is "necessary" and the tweet in general. But I can see potential unhealthy and healthy manifestations of this attitude. This attitude can have a healthy manifestation in things like the explorer archetype but it can also manifest in an unhealthy way where you're constantly running around trying to find the next high. However, having a clearly defined life purpose can give you a stable and healthy place to derive that high from if that makes sense. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

@Roy So it all depends on what I want and my happiness? If I was truly happy living a simple life and not getting into any deep work, it wouldn’t really matter?

Like Leo said in one of his videos, it's temperamental thing. Some people like to "wander through life finding interesting things until they die". However some people want a grand purpose and are ambitious. Everyone's different. Do what works for you 

I think life purpose is somewhat American ideal. I dont mean this as if Europeans or Asians cant have a life purpose, but the lifestyles and ambitions between Europeans and Americans differ in a such way that makes Americans more inclined to crave a grandiose obstacle they want to overcome in their life. You know, "Land of the opportunity". Its in their culture to become something great. Meanwhile where I live, the most common dream is to own a summer cottage, car that moves and turns, and a house. Nothing fancy, something that even a Taxi driver can achieve in their lifetime.

I haven't taken the life purpose course yet, but Im planning to do so just to find whether I actually do have an ambition to something.

EDIT: When I started self-actualization, I had huge dreams and ambitions. They were my main motivator to work on myself. Ironically, more I do self-work, less ambitious I have become and I just want to experience life as it is, without worry, in peace. Go figure.

Edited by Hansu

What is your greatest limiting belief about a life purpose?

11 hours ago, Dryas said:

So it all depends on what I want and my happiness? If I was truly happy living a simple life and not getting into any deep work, it wouldn’t really matter?

These are questions you have to ask and answer yourself.

hrhrhtewgfegege

Is a life purpose necessary?

Yes for some people

No for some people

Some people's psyche work better if they have a grand vision to work towards. Other people are more scattered and just prefer to go with whatever appears. Choose your poison and go with it.

You need to choose what you think will bring you the most happiness. Or not. In the end it doesn't matter. When you physical body you're identified with dies of clinical death you won't care of what you did during the time you were alive.

Even if 99.9% of people need a grand vision to work with to be fulfilled you may aswell be in the 0,1%. There's nothing preventing this. Now choose what you want. Or don't.

Of course, you can also merge both perspectives and create a third way.