Zak

How much time does it take to heal from Trauma?

12 posts in this topic

I chose to no longer be a member of this forum.

13 hours ago, Zak said:

Where to start.  There's the "doing" approach and the "not doing" approach.

To make it simple, I'll try and give a brief overview of the "doing" approach. 

Trauma "can" take a long time to heal, and its better to understand this instead of thinking it will be quick and easy, which for some its easier and often the first hurdle of looking into the dark basement which is the scariest part.  This doesn't mean it shouldn't be attempted because it sounds like long term work, which it can feel like at times, sometimes right out of the gate which is why some people never attempt, the fear is to overwhelming or anger to strong.

However if you go in with the attitude its not going to kill me, it just may suck at first, and at various times during the process, there's LOTS of rewards so to say.

For starters it can feel great to overcome something, even if only in degree's at first, because in those degree's you may start to feel better, or less overwhelmed in life situations that would of made you clam up, run away, rage in anger, abuse drugs or alchohol with, hold a job that you never could, forgive someone or something that hurt you and find love or well being replaced.

Just doing this with one issue you may find yourself inspired or REALLY inspired and feel like you can overcome anything.  This may lead to another thing your willing to try and overcome, which again can fuel the degree of effectiveness you have in overcoming trauma's and limitations in general.  Its possible to eventually reach levels of fearlessness you never thought possible and be able to so to say do anything you dream of in which your the only limitation.

Now there is a "not doing" path as well, but I'd say go with the above until you feel a sense of stability or confidence in yourself.

@Zak

It depends on how deep are your traumas, what's your environment, what techniques you decide to use, how often you'll use them, how committed you are and other factors. The depth of your traumas depends on what happened to you, on how you interpreted the events and on the sensitivity of your nervous system. The environment means family or school or whatever social circle or situation wounded you and which you are still in.

I had CPTSD and I've been working on my traumas for two years doing psychotherapy and psychological/spiritual exercises. There were weeks when I went berserk and did a therapy session one day + two hours of inner child work/emotional expression on the other days, giving myself only 3-4 days off. There were days when I got fever because of the strain I put on my body (with care and love). Saying I was determined would be an understatement.

However I had to do all of this in the same environment that traumatized me (home), so if I'd left home in some way I think I could have recovered faster.

If your traumas are deep: the earlier you start, the better it is for you. Going on this journey will be a fucking huge one-of-a-kind experience, a glorious epic adventure. You'll feel like a real life hero. You'll grow so so much, emotionally, mentally and spiritually, and your experience will spill in all areas of life. If you decide to embrace pain and purify yourself from all the hurt and suffering and rage and hate, taking full responsibility for yourself and your wounds, I'll tell you, you will tap into the highest inner peaks a human can reach. It will be tough, you'll want to quit, but when you'll be on the edge of quitting, you'll remember why you started, life will smack in your face all the work you'll still have to do, and you will gather all your energies to keep going, because what else are you gonna do? Quit? Go back to the hell where you started? You won't regret all the work once you recover by 40%-50%.

If your traumas are not so deep: you'll still have work to do, the best thing to do I think is therapy and digging your psyche to find the motives and causes for your behaviour. However nothing forbids you from using methods and techniques created for serious traumas. It will be like killing a fly with a cannon. 

These are the best and most powerful techniques and methods I tried on myself:

• Inner Child Work
  • Emotional Vipassana
  • Parts Work (Teal Swan video on how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxMD4tSHwfc&t=1130s)
  • Shamanic Breathing (Leo's video) (however this technique requires a lot of free time if you want fast results)
  • Contemplation/Journaling (writing why you do what you do, why you do it that way, where your behaviours come from)
  • Teal Swan frequency paintings 

Powerful books I read:

• The Completion Process - Teal Swan (Inner Child Work + Emotional Vipassana)
  • The Anatomy of Loneliness - Teal Swan (Parts Work and Family Dynamics)
  • Complex PTSD: From Surviving To Thriving - Pete Walker
  • Trauma and Memory: Brain and Body in a Search for the Living Past - Peter A. Levine & Bessel A. Van Der Kolk
  • Healing The Shame That Binds You - John Bradshaw

Been on the healing journey for 5 committed years: traumas, deep wounds, negative beliefs, emotional blockages, internal fragmentation, blocked chakras, tight muscles, deep tensions, dysfunctional relationship dynamics. --> Check out my posts for info on how to heal:

https://www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82579-what-causes-anhedonia-how-can-it-be-cured/?page=2#comment-1167003

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Zak

What would healed look like?   What comes to mind from that question? 

I would say healed would be not having the negative thoughts and sensetions trapped in the body that are associated with the events that caused trauma.

Also having big picture understanding why things happened this way.

@Mu_ Yeah your answer focuses more on the knowledge part, rather than the work. I guess awareness is more curative than any other practical work when it comes to healing trauma. Telling you from my experience.

5 hours ago, Nahm said:

@Zak

What would healed look like?   What comes to mind from that question? 

Bravery in all domains of life. Exclusion of confusion, low self-esteem, fear, neuroticism and relationship problems from ones skin. That's how a healed mind and body would look like.

This topic are so important for everyone to try seek the knowledge, accept it exist and get a know-how to identify.

Untrap are hard one, most people have little or no knowledge and then a trauma says hello im here now, people thinks, what is this nonsense, let's go to the pub and cheer up the mood. And probably collect a new trauma on top the one who came to the surface.

Until that day mind will make you suffer in a way that stop your life work.

My back was/are full of ptsd/trauma, spine gets more straight for longer time now, after every trauma i can get thru i got a better back :)

I also had other problems in bodyparts illness that are better or gone since stopped flight/fight/freeze living in stress.

I recognize often thru my back and neck if there are something in life that i need put my focus on and take care of.

6 minutes ago, DIDego said:

people thinks, what is this nonsense, let's go to the pub and cheer up the mood. And probably collect a new trauma on top the one who came to the surface.

This "Let's fuck it" culture is so widespread in young adults. This is certainly not the way. It's sweeping the problem under the rug.

Very good point.

Hope you get well with your back brother. :)

Edited by Zak

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

@wavydude

That is an excellent & clear way to frame it up imo. 

How to ‘untrap’ then, right?

Thoughts?

I would say that trauma happens when through some events beliefs of separation, unworthiness etc are created then these beliefs get linked up with a feeling in a body and both are fueling eachother. To heal there needs to happen reframing of the event and seeing through falseness of the negative beliefs held then new beliefs are created that are empowering and steer person into taking right actions and practices to heal the body and dissipate trapped feeling and allowing them to pass through which further creates more positive perspective. Self fueling cycle in the other direction.

Ideally all parties involved in the traumatic events would have that understanding and willingness to work things out but from what I can tell it's not very common in todays world.

@Zak Thank you, because you care brother :x i choose spend my last evening energy to post this :x

What works for us to get forward are different for most people, and trauma are disputed how it works and what they come from and where they are storaged.

And this is my theory or perspective of trauma issue in a scratch on the surface explanation.

There are so complex to be human and talk about trauma are small thing for most people, but a big important issue to manage to be able live a joyfull life.

My main perspective: Parenthood: Fostercare in a practically patriarchy and got stucked in the game of ego, logic was all we should focus on before emotions all time, unless they could be good to be used in a form for control.

Important insight that made a huge change in my life towards better awareness and in my case was the starting point to live more effortless.

I had totally burnout and was told from doctors that i got probably no or small chance come back in life.

I got in an extreme survival mode and fuck you all, i will show you, so after pretty much 1 year in bed  Then Song describes the feeling:  Eye of the tiger >:( 

I tried everything that i could do from internet (did not try castrol oil O.o).

1 big crucial change came from (what i felt silly to try, but rather try that before castrol oil because i felt that was absolute last resort)

It was sound and movements that made me different in so fast pace, it was scary to feel the change, in a couple of months i was able to do much more for much longer time periods.

Why do i mention this, because the lack of emotions in day to day operation, there we are in need or just try pushing emotions aside and doing everything thru logic thinking to handle todays society.

Can it in the long run imbalance in the brain?

Then we get more disconnected and there starts an catch-22 situation,

And then you need take care of emotions you probably are not able to do, because of not used how or lack of awareness how to identify.

Then can even small shitty things be described as an trauma for people.

and how about autism and adhd?

Example for information

left right brain hemisphere sync

Im not an doctor so try investigate for your self .

Take care, Love & Stay safe! 

12 hours ago, wavydude said:

I would say that trauma happens when through some events beliefs of separation, unworthiness etc are created then these beliefs get linked up with a feeling in a body and both are fueling eachother. To heal there needs to happen reframing of the event and seeing through falseness of the negative beliefs held then new beliefs are created that are empowering and steer person into taking right actions and practices to heal the body and dissipate trapped feeling and allowing them to pass through which further creates more positive perspective. Self fueling cycle in the other direction.

Ideally all parties involved in the traumatic events would have that understanding and willingness to work things out but from what I can tell it's not very common in todays world.

Well said!

13 hours ago, Zak said:

Bravery in all domains of life. Exclusion of confusion, low self-esteem, fear, neuroticism and relationship problems from ones skin. That's how a healed mind and body would look like.

What do you think of Wavydude’s description? 

If one was to reframe perspective from exclusion, to abundance, what would that look like?  Basically, what would be the opposite of those?  How would one get there? 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE