Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Consciousone35

The Toxic World of Self Help-“Personal Development” As Procrastination

9 posts in this topic

A very interesting and essential video that talks about how “self help” and “personal development” can become nothing more than repackaged procrastination and even a drug of false progress. Notice how so many self-help “gurus” never actually talk about resolving past trauma or learning to play the system? Instead it’s just get up and work hard and get “motivated” with the next seminar. So much of self help sounds a lot like Scientology. Instead of actually helping people it’s filled with personality cults who simply advocate working really hard and who conveniently ignore things like the dangers of burnout and crunch and the importance of taking breaks. Yes working hard is great but you also have to work smart.  I’m sure most millionaires work hard but they also are smart with how they maneuver around the being of Capitalism and bend it to benefit them almost like magic. Calling self help “gurus” gurus is an insult to actual gurus. These guys are nothing more than cult leaders who self false hope, false progress, and false optimism to people.

Don’t get me wrong, personal development is important but there are a lot of false personal development gurus who just indoctrinate people into becoming pawns of the system while they laugh all the way to the bank. I notice there’s a growing trend of simply working really hard to become successful. Again, working hard and being disciplined is great but there are people who work hard with 9-5 jobs, and they struggle just to afford healthcare. I have helped get a repeat sex offender a permanent record that could help make sure he won’t be allowed to live near schools and how did I do that? Over the course of months I smartly got evidence from his victims and smartly contacted the authorities and gave them that evidence. Getting the evidence took time and patience, I didn’t just “work really hard.” I thought of how I could provide proof that this guy is a repeat sex offender who would hurt children just to get revenge on his girlfriends who escaped from his brutal outbursts and extreme sexual offenses. I took my time and made sure I was doing things professionally and smartly. And now that heinous person could very well end up in jail eventually for his crimes. I had a lot of motivation to see justice be served but I didn’t approach it with the mentality of “work really hard,” instead it was “work hard and work smart.” The clip in the video where there is a montage of self-help “gurus” almost gaslighting people to work very hard has the atmosphere of a fire-and-brimstone preacher.

So while you’re doing your personal development make sure you’re not falling into dopamine trips of false progression. Although I was never into self help videos I was very much into personal development and I adopted a “work really hard” approach and I burned out to the point where it took a year to recover and get back into personal development. First I helped get charges against that sexual predator and that encouraged me to try to be my best and set up a life purpose of helping to reform laws and launch more investigations that help more sex offenders get punished instead of walking away scott free. My therapist said I’m too hard on myself and should tip my toes into my goals instead of having impossible standards. I followed their advice and now I’m becoming more productive than ever. There’s more to becoming successful and helping the world than just working hard, you have to work smart and take the time to reflect. Stop wasting your money on these cult seminars and get a therapist who could help you solve the real problems in your life that make you feel down and get into personal development in the first place.

Good luck on your personal development journey and hopefully this great video will help you avoid false prophets! :D

Video already posted before not once but twice. And maybe a few more times.

Edited by hyruga

Sure, but also you could think of it as investment. You shouldn't make self-help your main priority. Just something you do on the side as an investment that you find joyful.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Somebody please create a, "Traps! Traps everywhere!" Toy Story meme ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Yeah personal development has a lot of traps where there are false gurus who are in it only for the money. Remember folks, it’s an industry that makes billions a year, if you don’t think there are people who are literal psychopaths using pseudoscientific “motivation” techniques to make money at the expense of their audience, perhaps think again. Like sex offenders and pedophiles in the spiritual world, psychopaths and sociopaths in self help is an uncomfortable truth that once acknowledged can save you from a lot of traps and trouble.

I remember when Tony Robbins got outed for basically harassing a woman who I think was abused. How did his fans respond to Buzzfeed reporting on women coming out describing him as emotionally harassing? They called them “fake news,” “SJWs,” said how great Tony Robbins is, etc. Despite the fact that Tony was telling women who have been domestically abused such toxic masculinity his fans completely ignored that and basically continued to mock the women. Sick. A lot of these “self help” gurus are cult leaders. Tony Robbins charges thousands of dollars for his seminars, which people have speculated have paid actors in the audience. Instead of getting the real therapeutic help that has a century of evidence people are wasting their money going to Tony Robbins seminars so they can mental masturbate and feel like they’ve accomplished something when they’re just patting each other on the back like a group of chimps

@Consciousone35 I would totally go to a Tony seminar, if you think it is just a waste of time, I don't even know what you are doing in a self-development forum.

I don't know what happened in the situation you talked about but maybe she had wrong expectations about the guy, maybe she was hoping for someone to hold her hand and tell her how much he is sorry for her situation and cry together and Tony has chosen to not fuel this perspective.

Every teacher has it's style, some are more aggressive than others, some can simply tell you to quit being a little bitch and that's what you needed, and another one can hug you, show you with motherly love, you feel good and nothing change.

Triggering transformation in people is a lot more complex than most realize, you are going to have to touch some deep wounds and some people are not ready for it yet.