Josh2

Meditation Postures-the No Bullshit Quick Review To What Postures Are Best For Certain Techniques

8 posts in this topic

Hi Leo! I would like to have a video on Meditation and Self Inquiry postures: which ones do you use, how comfortable is too comfortable, which postures would be good for beginners, intermediate, and advanced meditators, or which postures are best for which techniques. If these are irrelevant and any posture would be fine....just make a video regarding that this is the case and any posture would be fine - but then give examples of these as well please! Thx :)   

Honestly I think postures are the last thing you should be focusing on. Just sit as comfortably as you can but not so comfortable you're falling asleep.

Memento Mori

He said many times : it's up to you, and it doesn't matter.

When meditating for many hours on end, the posture is surely an important part.

If you are maintaining a practise for many years, surely at least some guidance on posture would be advisable? Otherwise many people might inadvertently give themselves aches and pains in their old age. I personally would love Leo to give at least some guidance on this topic, because when I am sat alone meditating my posture is often a part of the process that is uncertain.

Dear friends, i nkow what you mean, as much as you want ot meditate, but that bad lower back or other aches in other parts of the body make it harder for the already wondering mind to become still, so even taking one problem out of the equation can improve the meditation for us the unenlightened ones. For months i was struggling with posture, until i went to India and stayed in the ashram, see here in UK a teacher wouldnt touch me, but there in India, the yoga teacher/students staying in the ashram would comfortably touch and adjust you, without any concept of agenda whatsoever, pure blessed minds,,. So after months of back ache, this one yoga teacher adjusted my spine a bit, my shoulders , even my chin, he basically made tiny adjustments as i was seated here and there and i felt really comfortable, and so grateful instantly :)

Do in my very humble opnion it will be hard for Leo to give advise on posture as i think one has to see your posture and be there to correct you. my little advice is to go to a meditation centre, join a meditation group or something, and see if there is an experience teacher/a guide, and ask them to check your posture. Another thing you can do is seat next to a mirror and correct yourself - in essence you want your spine to be tall, your shoulders relaxed, your chin is slightly tacked in , the spine is creating a natural curve, while chest is open as much as comfortable, also if you are doing any mudras with your fingers, i would say try to not do it (this can stress your fingers and resonate all the way to shoulderblades) would also suggest against any type of lotus like foot posutres, the thing is many us westerness try to replicate these seating postures, but those guys in India are used to seating like that from childhood, its just customary to them, whereas we have to consider our own habbits and unless you are really flexible and have no problem seating any complicated cross legged, just sit on a chair . Also just make one change at a time, and see if it works then move onto the next change. 

@Josh2 Man, you have to find what works for you. There are many postures out there. I like the burmese position.

I think Leo considers posture pretty irrelevant, in the sense that any posture you can do the technique in is fine.

Personally, I haven't a clue. It seems like upright (without back support) and even standing keeps me more alert, but that may be because I'm somewhat sleep deprived. I suspect there's something more to it though, as the experience of "do nothing" while laying in bed is way more pleasant than "do nothing" sitting on the couch. I've read somewhere it has something to do with the activation of the RAS (reticular activating system), that's just hearsay. Likely, the people in the East were on to something, why else did they always sit in certain postures? 

To sum up, I don't think it's such a big concern. If you can comfortably sit in a lotus or stand up, then by all means do so - it's probably healthier for the body than slouching on the couch, plus your mind might be more alert. The primary concern should however be doing the technique you're doing, don't be turning the inability to comfortably sit in some posture as an excuse not to meditate.