Carl-Richard

World map of SD development

8 posts in this topic

I wanted to see if I could find a map of the world that correlates with SD development. I first checked out the Human Development Index, but that doesn't take into account things like political systems (Hong Kong has the same score as Germany). I then found the Democracy Index which measures "pluralism, civil liberties and political culture". It looks like this (2019):

1280px-2019_Democracy_index.svg.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_Index

I didn't spend too long looking for alternatives, but I have a feeling this is as good as it gets. If you can spot any flaws or if you know about a better index that gives more accurate results, please share it here :) 

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

America is looking cute. St Patrick's Day :x

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, JosephKnecht said:

Few more years of Trump and the USA will go from green to red. 

Haha probably. I like how the colours also roughly correlate to the SD colours, red through green. You also could easily change the colours in paint or something with not too much work.

Edited by Carl-Richard

33 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

That's a pretty good map.

You could also look at a map of CPI: Corruption Perception Index.

https://www.transparency.org/en/cpi

That one seems much more proper. I still prefer the layout of the Democracy Index though :) 

Interesting, thanks for sharing this, though honestly, I am skeptical of the ranking criteria conclusion and positioning for some countries by this think tank of experts in the Economist Intelligence Unit which finances this research (e.g. Russia being lower on the electoral and freedom scale than the Republic of Kongo and Syria being ranked only four spaces above North Korea with lack of data in some categories and still during wartime) given the fact that some of them are one of the main competitors and rivals in global financing and politics to the Western "Euro-Atlantic" Alliance world vision and that the Economist Intelligence Unit which is a part of the Economist media group and magazine which has a pro-Western geopolitical biased outlook on events and countries and a competitive interest against Chinese and Russian transnational companies and enterprises, because most of its shares are owned by a holding company Exor N.V. which is de facto in the hands of Agnelli family, an Italian Jewish wealthy industrialist lineage which also holds a controlling stake in Ferrari, CNH Industrial and Juventus F.C. ( in fact the current chairman of Ferrari from 2018. is the current heir to that family John Elkin) and also the Rotschild family which owns also over 20% of the shares in the Economist Group.

So I think the pegging some countries that low on the scale in authoritarianism is unfair and some ranking of other countries as high up on the electoral freedom and fairness scale as overly gracious and imaginative, for example I consider my country Serbia, in which's parliamentary elections I participated as a local monitor and based on some articles and reports I read written by election monitors from election observations NGO's from  other voting polls across the country impossible to have the score of almost 8.25 out of 10 on the regularity and fairness of the electoral process (given the fact that most citizens and NGO's have documented examples of the overly majoritarian ruling party (with more than 60% of the turnout vote in these elections(they can basically now singlehandedly form a one-party government with no need of any coalition with other parties or members from other parties) blackmail and coercion methods (e.g. via employment guarantees) during the elections that were applied to guarantee votes from it's voting base, other potential voters and a significant number from poor and disenfranchised national minorities in the country and also the vast irregularities and fraud documented purported by their election monitors on some polling stations where they had the majority party personnel that was reported  across the country during the parlaimentary elections). Serbia by these criteria and the means by which this president has remained in power, guaranteed and secured his rule (basically when he was prime minister he, it seems to me and many other's in retrospect from this time and place, performed with then-president Tomislav Nikolich the Putin-Medvedev formality in governance position switch, which it seems now that he planned all along to take advantage of the weakness and fragility of the flawed democracy in this country) that is more on the edge of being a hybrid system (as described by this Index) than a flawed democracy by now, while Russia I feel veers also more to a hybrid system based on a good-faith ranking of all the answers of the questions in the five categories than ranking it that down in authoritarianism among the worst based on all the results in the categories. Maybe I am wrong but I sense a bias in the methodology and credibility of all the ranking in this list by this Economist affiliated think tank.

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

BTW Transparency International which created that world map based Corruption Index assessment, also maybe has possible outside influences interfering in a fully objective ranking of countries by the corruption index, for example, the U.K. and the U.S. State Department are one of the main funders of this NGO. I say this for example because they have been silent on the violation of human and legal rights of detained journalist Jullian Assange, per this report from the self-funded media organization the Grayzone:

https://thegrayzone.com/2020/07/21/state-dept-transparency-international-silent-jailed-julian-assange/

quote from the article:

"Unlike Transparency International, several other large NGOs have been vocal about the case within the last year. Those groups include Amnesty International, the American Civil Liberties Union, the Courage Foundation, Reporters Without Borders, and the Freedom of the Press Foundation. A total of 40 rights groups recently signed an open letter urging Assange’s release. "

Edited by Milos Uzelac

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks