GroovyGuru

High quality newspapers and magazines to subscribe to?

9 posts in this topic

Although I already try my best to stay informed, I want to branch out a bit (outside of youtube) and maybe subscribe to one or two magazines/newspapers. Based on the limited research I've done so far, some of the potential subscriptions that have peaked my interest include The Economist (I'm about to start an economics masters program), Time magazine, The New York Times, The Intercept, and one or two others. Any suggestions or comments about the sources I've listed?

P.S. some of the content I watch on youtube about politics and society are: The David Pakman Show, Kyle Kulinski, The Majority Report, The Intercept, The Hill, JRE, Demoracy At Work etc... If anyone has any other suggestions for similar content here too please share. Thanks.

22 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

Any suggestions or comments about the sources I've listed?

You should read papers in other languages, especially if you you're not fluent enough yet in any other language. The Economist and Intercept are solid but the NYT and Time are junk. Read the FT or something Asian if you must read a daily in English. As to magazines, you should try something more challenging ideologically like National Review or Monthly Review. I suppose something more cultured like that NYRB or the Atlantic might also be worthwhile.

39 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

P.S. some of the content I watch on youtube about politics and society are: The David Pakman Show, Kyle Kulinski, The Majority Report, The Intercept, The Hill, JRE, Demoracy At Work etc... If anyone has any other suggestions for similar content here too please share. Thanks.

This is a bit of an echo chamber (with a topping of lunacy). But most non-professional newsy content on youtube seems to be junk or worse. There's one reasonable right-winger I found with a channel called MFF. As far as the pros are concerned, DW has decent youtube content and there are also think tanks like the INET which have good content. Again, also look for Asian pros. A young person can't afford to be as ignorant of Asian perspectives as I am. But Youtube is best for non-political stuff or quirky politics-adjacent content like Contrapoints.

Can't you do podcasts instead? Like when you're doing chores or commuting? Bloomberg's Odd Lots is a must.

My only advice is to be very cautious with Mainstream Media. They have been the world's primary source of information since the beginning, and are the reason we find ourselves in state of affairs we see today. A lot of what you listed @GroovyGuru would fall under that category. 

You gotta dig deep if you want truth rather than manipulated half-truths with bias and special interests behind them. 

I unfortunately cannot advise any specifics here. 

mainstream media bad! gotta dig deep good! I have no source though! did I mention mainstream media evil??!!

The Daily Prophet xD

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

As far as subscriptions, I've been thinking about subscribing to a couple:

The Atlantic. They have some of the best long form articles I've read recently and tend to focus on what's important and be forwarding thinking.

Foreign Affairs as well. I didn't find out about them until recently, and it's really nice to have an in depth foreign policy source. There's another one called Foreign Policy too.

Other than that maybe the New Yorker or Mother Jones. Oh and I love The Independent enough to support them.

It's really important to chip in to a good investigative news org that doesn't take money from corporate interests. I know the Independent and Mother Jones are reader supported; Foreign Affairs is a non-profit. Much higher quality information that way. Not 100% sure about the funding of the others.

@Hank Galaxy Brain Thanks for the Foriegn Affairs suggestion. I subscribed to the Economist but have read a couple of the unlocked essays from F.A. and have enjoyed them.

@GroovyGuru No problem, I’m glad you liked it. They seem to cover things very broadly which I like. The one on the new age of Great Power Competition was really enlightening.

As far as I can tell, the Atlantic seems like a pretty authoritative #1 for me as far as forward thinking, political, somewhat centrist (american “left”), what’s on thinking minds.

You got me interested in the Economist as well for a more right wing perspective. Didn’t realize how broad it was. A good thread, thanks to you as well.