Nick_98

How do you think effectively ?

8 posts in this topic

Well, this might sound like a simple yet so vague kind of question so I will try to add more context. 

Let's say there are various debates/point of views about a certain topic. Usually , it could be some incident that happens in your country and go viral.

Usually, I try for entertainment purposes to grasp the different point of views and think about an ultimate solution/agreement that could be possible. 

1-What's the problem that I face ?o.O

• I find my mind foggy, unclear, and sometimes it just stales. I feel like I'm not armed with a good , genuine point of view.

2-How do you usually think ? What kind of agenda do you use to try to analyze life mandatory problems ?

• I would love to hear if you are using certain questions/models/methods that makes you more clear, not only in this case, but in general.. Any aspect of life.

@Nick_98 Great question. 

Thinking about thinking is an interesting field of study that has lots of granularity to it.

In a debate/argument, the best position to be in is the one that doesn't need to defend it's beliefs.

Ask yourself, "What is a belief?" what function does it serve?

As you think about this, sit in silence for a bit. 

Then when you go out into the world, notice how people have beliefs but haven't questioned them.

This may lead to a heightened sense of awareness and a ability to think more clearly.

That's been my personal experience. 

(btw, this process takes time, perhaps 3-6 months. But it's totally worth it!

Research the hell out of every point and see whats correct

If someone is arguing one thing, look into it to see if it is valid.  If someone is arguing something else then look into that. 

You could perhaps look at someone's argument and relate it to what has previously happened in history. Chances are there have been many similar problems or situations in the past.

Edited by Osaid

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Study critical thinking. Any university library will have books on it. I read Paul Richard and Linda Elders ''Critical Thinking''. Covers much of what you'd be interested in. Frequent meditation to detach yourself from ingrained perspectives, reading as much as possible with time to let it settle, abstaining from alcohol, keeping body and mind healthy.

Much of humanities stupidity stems from ego based thinking, trying to prove other people wrong rather than seeking the truth. Always try to align yourself with the vibrations of curiosity, earnestness rather than obnoxiousness and arrogance and you'll do pretty well.  

I'm trying to figure this out as well. Whenever I'm studying maths or physics I have a habit of straining unnecessarily. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@Nick_98 You'll be getting good feedback on different ways to boost your mental clearity, such as diet, water consumption, stress coping techniques, good night sleep routine, regular exercise, etc. One thing I personally suggest that helps me is to go without thinking for stretches of time. If you can't do it yet, start with a daily meditation routine. After awhile you'll train your mind to not have to think. Use this ability as a tool, so when there are times to focus, make a decision, etc you can switch back to thinking at will. You'll see how much sharper, clearer and more effortless/flowy it will become :)

30 minutes ago, Loving Radiance said:

@Natasha Letting thinking go and then acting instinctively? From a place of being rather than doing?

Yes, the ability to observe without conceptualizing and absorbing, staying present and detached from the thought story in the head is very powerful and freeing.