Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ya know

Progression through regression

6 posts in this topic

Hey, I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on the spiral nature of development? I've watched all the spiral dynamics videos and have a personal story that I would like some pieces to add too.

I got very drunk with co workers the other day after spending spending years without drinking to excess. After experiencing it I have no desire to go back to it and thought of the TS Elliott quote - 

“We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring. Will be to arrive where we started. And know the place for the first time.''

After so much personal development returning to that state felt terrible. With all I know now I felt like I kind of knew what I was doing for the first time, which will allow me to never do it again.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comparisons? 

That's just an ego backlash.

I don't think anyone should be consciously doing stupid stuff to try to grow themselves, though. That's just accelerationist thought. Like voting for Trump because you think it will teach the DNC a lesson.

3 hours ago, Ya know said:

Hey, I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on the spiral nature of development? I've watched all the spiral dynamics videos and have a personal story that I would like some pieces to add too.

I got very drunk with co workers the other day after spending spending years without drinking to excess. After experiencing it I have no desire to go back to it and thought of the TS Elliott quote - 

“We shall not cease from exploration. And the end of all our exploring. Will be to arrive where we started. And know the place for the first time.''

After so much personal development returning to that state felt terrible. With all I know now I felt like I kind of knew what I was doing for the first time, which will allow me to never do it again.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comparisons? 

There might be no real progress just the illusion of progress. I am into selfimprovement because it is a nice story that works for me for now. No need to get too attached on the story if possible except for survival and exploration.

Get drunk, why not?

To qualify that statement, getting drunk serves a purpose, it has utility. I can't say exactly what it was in your case, but I'm guessing it was some sort of social bonding. Keeping up social ties is important for survival - of course there are other way to that too.

The other utility of getting drunk in your case was regression. Regression is useful as a form of contrast. By contrast I mean a way to compare two things easily.

You say you felt terrible after getting drunk. But it certainly gave you a good way to compare your current level of development with how you used to be. And you have come to the conclusion that you dislike how you used to be. Good. That should have strengthened your view of yourself as you are now - not diminished it.

We all regress from time to time, it's no bad thing, it helps us to reinforce what we don't want in our lives. 

Just be super vigilant and don't let it become a habit - otherwise you really will have regressed.

All stories and explanations are false.

this is like learning by failing. try, fail, stand up, repeat. there is also failing by failing, the beautiful part about that is people sometimes fail for years until they stop failing. regresses are more present if we focus on regress instead of on progress. we remember our failing sometimes more than our acing.

although through a meta lens failing or acing is absolutely subjective. only that some topics seem karmic which is a pointer that they are, without learning they  will probably even repeat themselves in the next life.

Edited by remember