lmfao

The binary and linear nature of reality depresses me.

10 posts in this topic

I wondered today if its depressing that everything in the universe is space. Initially I was just thinking about threads, lines. ( For context, my mind has always been quite visual and fascinated with structure & motion. ) I was thinking about strings, yes, strings. Like a string also being a set of things that "just go together", an angle I hadn't had felt so deeply before. But then also thinking about strings in the sense of, strings of information. Language being a specific string of letters. It's quite a binary, linear thing. All structures in reality just being like strings of information. And space itself, my mind pessimistically looks at it reductionisticly.

The dread and depression I feel from it is similar to the depression of a determinist. Everything is binary, linear. I remember having an insight a very long time ago that space itself, the human mind, can't transcend sum of the parts thinking. And sum of the parts thinking is depressing. 

----

I just imagine a ball moving through space. The ball is moving to the right, and the other dual lens is space is moving to the left rather than the ball moving.

Or I just think in images , comparable in metaphor to the sort of conservation laws you get in physics. e.g. If there is an infinitely thin barrier between two objects, and a cloud of charge exists in object A and enters object B, the amount of cloud leaving A is equal to the amount of cloud entering B. That linearity, that binaryness, that's what depresses me. Even if the cloud is, instead of charge, replaced in imagery of  instantaneous "flow" it's still the same linearity. 

Colour and flavour exists. But there is a blockage I'm having to it. Whatever this qualitative dimension is, it often eludes me. My mind is like a knife, it dissects thing and seeks to see things at a higher resolution. Any mindfulness I do have is like a knife, making more and more spatial distinctions. It's why I've always resonated with the likes of Peter Ralston or Krishnamurti. 

(and lol, that string theory exists didn't cross my mind until writing this message now. Idk anything about string theory, just something random and pointless in relation to this)

What I'm reflecting upon here, I think it reflects well why I've lost passion for the things I used to enjoy. I never really gathered the words before or could figure out why precisely my passions have changed. I'm now about to finish my 2nd year as a physics student. I used to love math, science, discussing shit. But now I've reached this unsurmountable obstacle, of realising that my mind and that "space" can't transcend sum of the parts thinking, and finding that so utterly meaningless and depressing. Boredom and indifference. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

A bunch of logical bullshit.

Go awaken for real.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Reality is all magic. You can reduce it down infinitely. It is groundless. 

Focus less on the stories and concepts and more on what is actual.

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, "This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful." The moment you see it, the head stops spinning thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts beating faster. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

Almost everyone here will tell you that your problem is that you’re thinking logically. That’s not it. The problem is that you didn’t go far enough with your reasoning. 

You say that the mind can’t transcend the sum of its parts. Okay, but everything is infinitely divisible and composed of infinitely many pieces. Therefore, everything (including the mind) is composed of infinitely many aspects and is functionally infinite. If the mind is infinite then it doesn’t need to be transcended. It’s already got limitless potential. 
So don’t worry. You’re not trapped in a limited mind composed of limited parts. On the contrary, you have access to something boundless. 

As for linear qualities, those don’t pose limits either. To use an analogy from basic geometry, lines go on forever in each direction. So even if existence were reducible to one linear-dimension, that still wouldn’t mean it’s limited. Each dimension is infinite in its own right. 

Dude, it sounds like you have a clinical depression. At this point, I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have to do with the thoughts. From what I've read you seem to feel depressed almost all the time. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I wouldn't also neglect/bypass it. Take whatever action you think is necessary. And any time you feel sad, remind yourself that it's just a state, and that it isn't permanent.

Also, I would exercise if I don't already. It helps tweak your brain chemicals to degrees you can't even begin to imagine.

This view of mine in this thread is but another position to be surrendered.

@Synchronicity Yes. I've started to see through what I was saying a bit more now. I'm still far too unconscious. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

27 minutes ago, lmfao said:

Yes. I've started to see through what I was saying a bit more now. 

That’s awesome!
Just remember that. Every time you feel trapped, it doesn’t mean there’s no way out. You just need to keep looking