Nulik

Is My Life Purpose Too Selfish?

21 posts in this topic

Hi,

my life purpose is to make 5 million USD cash by 2020. Is this too selfish ? Will I achieve it if I think this way? Of course, I am not going to just print this money out of nowhere , I will achieve it through hard work and offering useful services to other people by doing what I love to do, which is many different things. So, my doubt is, if my life purpose is has some flaw in it. I wouldn't say it is a goal, it would be purpose, because once I achieve it , I wouldn't do anything substantial in my life anymore.

Edited by Nulik

@Nulik

In this world, to make five million, somebody is going to have to be exploited, or loose, just so you can make the money. 

It's not about value. It never was. That is a false belief. 

Making money is about rape and pillage and nobody in the end wins. 

I know my words are irrelevant to your question, please ignore them if they do not resonate. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, Mal said:

@Nulik

In this world, to make five million, somebody is going to have to be exploited, or loose, just so you can make the money. 

Those who exploit others don't earn large amounts of money usually. For big success you need to lead many other people and they aren't going to go behind you unless you offer something good in return. Making money is the result of helping others, i.e. the opposite of exploitation. 

3 hours ago, Quizzer said:

You won't be satisfied after this... what will happen afterwards?

Therefore it's not a life purpose. I don't think a purpose ever ends. This is a goal.

You are saying, the only difference between a goal and a life purpose is the length of the period?  Sounds logical. I think you are making a good point. Then I have 2 life purposes, first make the money, and then relax and live a good life.

9 minutes ago, Nulik said:

Those who exploit others don't earn large amounts of money usually. For big success you need to lead many other people and they aren't going to go behind you unless you offer something good in return. Making money is the result of helping others, i.e. the opposite of exploitation. 

You clearly don't know how capitalism works 

-

Edited by Mal

@Nulik  your life purpose sounds selfish in the sense that you want five million and then to do nothing substantial with your life, like the 9-5 worker who only focuses on earning enough for themselves and not about contributing to something larger than themselves 

its not the sum of money you want that makes it selfish, it's whether you want enough for just yourself, or if you want more money to benefit more than just your little life  

I'm selfish too with money goals, maybe once your selfish desires have been satisfied, you might actually want more money to do more, you'll probably get bored staying at that level 

I feel like you need to balance passion as the first priority and money. Wanting money is not inherently bad but if you're only focused on the money, than it will be highly likely that you'll be unfulfilled. To achieve fulfillment, you need to be motivated by passion, vision, and purpose which will guarantee fulfillment for you. What makes you the happiest and how will your passion make you money? I can think of so many success stories who profited from their passion. Walt Disney transformed animation into an empire! Jim Henson originally saw puppetry as his foray into TV and he deepened his passion for puppetry and created an empire based around revolutionizing puppetry from simple hand puppets and marionettes and transformed puppetry into an art form. Steve Jobs applied his passion of calligraphy and Zen simplicity into Apple fonts and to Apple's user friendliness. The truth is that passion can be profitable because profit without passion is soulless and hollow. I want you to ask two questions "what are you passionate for? How can you make the passion profit?" 

Life purpose is much more extensive than a single goal. It has a lot more to do with what you have to give throughout your entire life, than establishing a particular lifestyle or meeting a particular goal. This is too narrow a scope. Your life purpose is only completed upon your death, unlike a single goal which is more like a single component of your life. Your main idea should be "What impact do I want to have on the world which fits with my values?"

Enrollment now open for my Shadow Work Group Class! Limited spots available. 

Click here to learn more!

On 7/14/2016 at 5:08 PM, Saarah said:

@Nulik  your life purpose sounds selfish in the sense that you want five million and then to do nothing substantial with your life, like the 9-5 worker who only focuses on earning enough for themselves and not about contributing to something larger than themselves 

Thank you guys for the comments, I really appreciate it. Just to complement the answer on selfishness of the life purpose, I just read the Success Principles 10th anniversary of Jack Canfield and he clearly states that life purpose has to be selfish and only when you fulfill your own interest, you will will succeed.

So, I guess the level of success you will achieve will be measured of how much selfishness of other people will you fulfill with your own goal. Obviously making 5M for myself doesn't sounds of interest for others. But I do have passions and I am going to make this money by doing what I love to do.

I really just think of life purpose as doing whatever the fuck you want to do when you strip away all the social conditioning bullshit. Maybe for you that's to build a huge business that puts 5 million in your bank account. I don't know. But whatever it is, just do it.

On 13.07.2016 at 6:13 PM, Mal said:

@Nulik

It's not about value. It never was. That is a false belief. 

Making money is about rape and pillage and nobody in the end wins. 

I know my words are irrelevant to your question, please ignore them if they do not resonate. 

Thanks

I think this is a pretty crazy idea of how economics work. Especially the raping and pillaging part.

There's nothing wrong with making lots of money with honest work.

@SaynotoKlaus

There is nothing wrong with it because we're conditioned to believe it's about hard work.

It's not.  The 1st world is only here because we exploit the third world.

Take some time to find some sources of info close to the reality of this rather than resting on what society tells you that you should be thinking.

This is awakening

And if you think we're living in a fair world then you are the crazy one my friend :)

Edited by Mal

@SaynotoKlaus

You are a slave and a donkey for consumerism, capitalism and corporatism..

You are programmed through language to be an individual to serve this system.

Spiral Dynamics orange deceit

Edited by Mal

@Mal

But what if his being is part of being selfish? since it's quite neutral as there is no right or wrong regardless of being indoctrinated. since we all fall under that category of being programmed that can't really go outside their boxes

@khalifa

Hi Khalifa,

Right and wrong is part of the programming. It's part of what keeps us enslaved to playing the game.

To say that programming is neutral just puts you back at square one with no progress made.

So do you want to use one thorn to remove the other, then throw both thorns away once liberated? 

Or,

Do you want to continue to keep denying what programming is because you imagine that you are being spiritual by pretending that everything is OK?

The choice is ours.

It is important to differentiate "process" and fixed beliefs.  Fixed beliefs are the unexamined mind.  Process is the examination of mind and the use of insight to crawl out of the pit of Samara one notch at a time.

People on here like to hinder themselves, people like Bruno or "Welcome to reality" imagine that one should embody the goal right now.  

Attempting to emulate a spiritual person is dogma, it's called spiritual bypassing.  This is a process, and it's messy, it's not just a case of sit in lotus and let all thoughts pass by like clouds. This is New Age claptrap.

The pathless path is true for being "present", but there is also a process of de-conditioning that has to happen, which is called process.  

Not sure how else to explain it. Hope this makes sense

Edited by Mal

@Nulik That is NOT a life purpose at all. That's just a money goal. It will have none of the inspiring and motivating qualities of a real life purpose. In fact, it will do just the opposite. You're just chasing money because you have no idea what you really want to do with your life, and you don't want to bother finding out.

So yeah... that's not very wise.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

21 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Nulik That is NOT a life purpose at all. That's just a money goal. It will have none of the inspiring and motivating qualities of a real life purpose. In fact, it will do just the opposite. You're just chasing money because you have no idea what you really want to do with your life, and you don't want to bother finding out.

So yeah... that's not very wise.

I disagree. I have clear idea of what I want and it is being financially independent. That's why I need the 5M. And after that I have no other goals. My life purpose would be enjoy life by living for myself , my friends and family , if this qualifies as a life purpose of course.

@Nulik Life Purpose (Self-Actualization perspective) = Top Unique Ability + Impact On The World + Domain of Mastery + Ideal Medium.

How are you impacting the world? Why is it that your "life purpose" will be completed in just 4 years, versus striving towards an ideal for a lifetime?

P.S. Impacting your family & friends  ≠ impacting the world.

Why is your "life purpose" not selfish?

Are you absolutely sure you're crystal clear what you want in life?--That this is what you want, and not what you think you want? Have you thought about this deeply? Contemplated, introspected, journaled, meditated, etc?

P.S.S. Purpose ≠ Goal

Edited by Patrick