Esoteric

Tantrika Institute (Shaiva Tantra Yoga and Philosophy))

4 posts in this topic

https://courses.tantrikainstitute.org/

This is a free foundation course in Tantrik Yoga led by practitioner, Tantra and Sanskrit schoolar Christopher Wallis. Tantrik Yoga is an internal yoga originating from the Tantrik Shaivism movement that arose in India over a millenia ago. It emphases embodied awakening and is a path suitable for householders. There will be a 4 year curriculum starting at the end of summer (that is the plan anyway) that will contain 7 facets: Philosophy and View, Awareness Cultivation, Energy body practices, Yogic Lifestyle, Deity Yoga, Mantra Science and Living in the World. This will be a subscription based membership and you pick and choose what you want to work on. So for example, if you just want simply practical teachings and are not interested in Non-dual Shaiva Tantra Philosophy you simply skip the View teachings.

It's very cool to see a curriculum being built on this very rich and beautiful tradition. 

Very nice, thank you! I was already intrigued about Shaiva Tantra because of Christopher Wallis' book. This foundation can be a really important step towards a clearer understanding of Yoga, both Tantra and Kriya. :)

@CVKBT It will definitely clear a lot of misconceptions about what Tantra, Yoga, Kundalini is etc. Wallis has a great youtube channel as well with a lot of valuable information. Once you start to study this stuff you see that so much have come from Tantra, and that Kriya Yoga has a strong Tantrik foundation. Wallis has a youtube series going through all of the verses of an early Tantrik scripture (from the Trika lineage) called Vijnana Bhairava Tantra. It was an esoteric text written probably in the 9th century that has a lot of Tantra Yoga techniques in it. Here (and perhaps in even earlier Tantrik texts) you first start to see the mentions of a central channel, side channels, chakras etc. 

His book/commentary on the Recognition Sutras is also highly recommended. These Tantrik masters had such quality teachings that they feel really fresh, open and alive even today imo.

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, I will definitely check it out! I agree, studying Tantra sheds a huge light upon the complex yogic system. You understand more and more why you do for example the Kriya Pranayamas and why they lead you towards Parvastha etc.

I guess you just gotta be careful not to make a mental masturbation exercise out of that hehe.

I've seen Wallis' video on Kundalini and already found it of big value. I'm excited what I will learn out of your recommendation!