StarStruck

How to deal with being a slow learner?

9 posts in this topic

I did an IQ test for a job application a while back. My IQ is above average for an European. They said I could do a masters. My experience with myself is that I’m a slow learner. I have a motivation/self discipline problem. I’m trying to let go of that identity but my experience says otherwise. Usually I get stuck in the monkey mind who reminds me of my failures while learning. I’m kind of struggling how to deal with this. Meditation helped me and I made progress with calming my hyper active brain but what should be my game plan? Just accept who I am as a Buddhist would? That is the first step. Last couple of weeks I suffered emotionally because of my not so good productivity. 

My friend I feel you on this I struggle as well now to keep my focus and hyperactive mind fixed on topics that I have to learn for essays I need to write and exams that I have in plan for passing in summer. I got carried away by incoming information from the virus updates around the world and distracted easily by chatting online with friends and focusing on taking up opportunities for possible doing favors for certain youth pro-worker organizations, to translate a video-clip in my mother tongue Serbian, for that audience of that organization here in this country that I posted in the society thread the US military-industrial complex war maneuvers and geopolitical plans in the wake of the coronavirus - and that's what distracted from writing my essay today. What I will try to do is to set time and discipline for a focus breath meditation for concentration and reducing of anxiety that I feel now and write out my study time plan since we got the news in my country as the virus infection spreads among certain parts of the populace, they will also probably put us here on 24-hour lockdown like in Spain and Italy for an undetermined time. I will use this time to boost my learning speed skills and techniques, as I am slow and tend to focus too much on completely connecting the dots on one paragraph and being able to reproduce it in my own words which takes up time which I need to manage and organize better in regards, to time spent and focused on certain partial things and not the whole picture, in order to read achieve what I planned on reading and what exams I want to study for to pass. I am in a sociology department on a state university, what are you studying, why are you studying and in what environment and where are you studying it at (a private course or public institution) I think these are the crucial questions that you have to inquire yourself about in order to find methods and pathways about your study motivation and best strategic path to increase it (like researching besides something connected about the topic at hand in free time), mine is descriptive, heavy on learning and learning to use new concepts correctly and using them in literary purpose writing sense when explaining and making conclusions from the study of its sustainment mechanisms of social order in question and it's future heading and sort of various dot connection and metaphor using from different scientific disciplines, natural and social.

If you want to start this as a thread for learning techniques I can post what I find or advice and insight that I gain from practicing to study better and more efficiently in the speed in which I cover a topic, proper focus and time allocation, here tomorrow. Sorry for the long post and lack of clarity and a long bulky post, I have the same strategic problem for at home studying for faculty and catching up in attendance and coverage of our zoom courses for sociology - I am in fact lagging heavily behind now.

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

I also consider myself a slow learner but there are some things that I am naturally good at like athletics. What I've learned is to find some sort of balance. Do the things that come naturally and continue to hone those skills. As for the things that don't come naturally, push yourself just a little bit harder than you would like. By a little bit, I mean A LITTLE BIT. Do that more and more to exercise your brain and build strength. In the process you will improve as will you learn to believe in your abilities. I could go on and on about this topic but that's it in a nutshell.

I think it is key to move forward but if you move so slow that it almost looks like you are not making progress it is not good. 

This video is a gem:

I’m kind of confused right now which might a be a good thing. Trying to figure out why I should do something if I’m truly in the now and enlightened. I reached those higher states of the now and I didn’t have intention to do something. 

@StarStruck You can absolutely develop those soft skills like: Time management, organization, focus, pomodoro, clarity etc. The resources exist. Hmm, this is a good topic I will research a bit how to explain this. I grew up with adhd, but have managed to develop these skills through persistant action.

Honestly, the App called Fabulous will help you. It is one of the best apps I've ever ever ever used. Changed my life, right up there with Actualized.org. 

https://www.thefabulous.co/

As Howard Vernon would say: You are 10x more capable and powerful than you think you are. You just have to interface with the corrected systems and resources and be persistant. Even when you fall off... persist! Much love

and ultimately yeah... self love.

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Thought Art I will try that app out. 

pomodoro is great. It is only thanks to this technique that I get something done. :))

17 hours ago, StarStruck said:

I did an IQ test for a job application a while back. My IQ is above average for an European. They said I could do a masters. My experience with myself is that I’m a slow learner. I have a motivation/self discipline problem. I’m trying to let go of that identity but my experience says otherwise. Usually I get stuck in the monkey mind who reminds me of my failures while learning. I’m kind of struggling how to deal with this. Meditation helped me and I made progress with calming my hyper active brain but what should be my game plan? Just accept who I am as a Buddhist would? That is the first step. Last couple of weeks I suffered emotionally because of my not so good productivity. 

If you made it this far in life as you are to a job that accepts you, whats to worry about?