Parththakkar12

Dysfunctions in the Education System

8 posts in this topic

I want to make a list of dysfunctions in the current education system. Chime in!

• Exams give you points for being right instead of being useful
  • Classes condition you to sit passively in a classroom and zone out instead of actively contemplate and learn what you want to, i.e. lack of activity. In fact being active and not sitting still in class gets you punished! "Teachers" value the facade of attention over actual attention.
  • Exams give you limited number of points which condition you to believe that you can only make a limited amount of money in adult life.
  • We assume that school is useful for kids without really asking kids if they're really growing as intended by the school. My claim : School isn't useful to kids for their learning, rather it's a tool society uses to condition kids to enslave them when they grow up.
  • We assume that an educational environment is necessary for kids to learn. This is not true. Kids learn from anything and everything in their environment. My claim : Child labor is better than school education, as you learn to bring home some cash and you learn a craft that's actually valued by someone!
  • Of course, massive value placed on memorization which is utterly pointless, especially now that we have Google. It conditions kids to believe that knowing what society knows is a useful thing, when the reality is that adding to what society knows is valuable.
  • Most of the crap kids learn in school is utterly useless! A lot of schoolwork in Languages, Math, Science, Social Sciences is utterly useless and is a waste of resources. Conditions us to be useless to society and imprints us with the belief that society doesn't really want us to be useful. (Credit for this one also goes to parents btw)
  • Kids go together to school, which conditions them to go with the herd. It also conditions them to believe that mainstream society has it all figured out.
  • Everyone's treated the same way, which conditions them to believe that everyone's the same and there's nothing unique about anyone.
  • Somebody tell me what the point of homework really is, cuz I haven't figured that out yet!
  • Exams give you points only if you give them the one right answer, which conditions you to believe that any question only has the one right answer. It also gives you points for being right and takes away points for being wrong, which conditions you to believe that being right is valuable/significant while being wrong is not valuable. This is not the case, as right/wrong are relative and value is relative. You don't have to be absolutely right in order to have a significant perspective as there is no absolute right/wrong.
  • "Teachers" aren't open to other answers than the one right answer, which makes you believe that people out in the world never reconsider their opinions when faced with an alternative perspective.

I'll continue adding points to this list.

Edited by Parththakkar12

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Really nuturing a childs growth involves following along with the childs interests and passions. The education system just trys to ram information into their heads. The system is too ridged, calcuated, and lacks heart. It needs more flexablibity in order for it to bend to the visions and passions that the students have. Teachers would teach what would be useful to the students, knowledge that would be connected to their interests and show them how it connects back. This would inturn motivated them to learn further. 

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

• College prices
  • Useless information
  • Rude and ignorant teachers/substitutes

I think school should be more individual focused with it being customized for an individuals needs and wants and what they wanna do in life. Also with more time off and open school hours. I think it would be cool if school could be a place that's open all day, and has open doors with a bigger library so kids can have fun and explore at the same time. Also, with teachers there too. I think a 3 hour day would suffice even more useful than an 8 hour day.

Also, more outside exploration and field trips--not to just museums but to actual cool sights to see!

Teachers also need to explain why kids are there and how life can be amazing, inspiring and exciting! Teachers need to show kids the excitement and beauty of life! If you go to school and feel worse about life (which is what happens to everybody), then the school system is doing something deeply wrong to make you feel that way. Because it ain't your fault. 

Genesis 27:27-29

I'm starting to wrap my head around what they're actually doing. They call it teaching, but what it really is, is indoctrination.

1. There's a lot of focus on memorization. What that means is that they want kids to blindly take on what they're saying in class and program themselves with it. They call this 'learning' when it's programming. Real learning would be happening if the minds of kids were actually expanding because of school activities.

2. The exams are standard, easy and have a low passing percentage. What this means is that they're aware, in an odd sense, that their curriculum isn't really useful and that their goal isn't really to test the abilities of their students, but rather to just put students through 12 years of indoctrination in a specific regimented environment.

3. In an odd way, religious people really like school! They see it as 'The temple of knowledge where the "teacher" is the Holy light-bearer of knowledge and is the doorway for knowledge for the students' and so on. School is a hold-over from religious indoctrination camps.

4. Giving tons of homework is a cult programming strategy, believe it or not! Keep them busy so that they don't have any time to question what's being fed to them. In fact, lets make them write out what they're programmed with so that it sticks.

School doesn't care about the individual, but rather it's a tool of society to integrate kids into mainstream society. The method is to indoctrinate kids with the religious/materialistic/nationalistic/scientific worldview of mainstream society. This has an underlying assumption that the ideology of mainstream society is 'right' and 'should be taught to kids'. There's always this air of 'The "teacher" is always right' and 'Mainstream society has the one true ideology which all kids should accept blindly'.

The more I look at this, the more I see that it's not the job of the school to help kids learn useful things, cuz they can't do this for all kids who have unique needs! That's the job of the kid's primary caregivers.

Note : I keep putting "teacher" in quotes cuz they're teachers by the mainstream definition, not mine! When a real teacher talks their students get mind-fucked.

Edited by Parththakkar12

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Needs to teach at an existential base, not just a mathematic base. :)

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

if the school sees that a kid comes from a difficult home, having no father, parents on drugs etc. etc. there should be some ways in which the school could help those kids. i'm not saying taking them away from their family

Edited by PurpleTree

It's all wrong from the ground up. That's what happens when something barely evolves over hundreds of years.

We forgot the biggest one of all. Bullying can lead to life-long dysfunction.