Hansu

Healthy snack suggestions

13 posts in this topic

Hey,

I recently picked up on eating 5 times day and I've cleaned up a lot of my diet through this new eating style, but now I've got a problem

Sometimes I just feel an urge to eat something that is not part of my daily diet (I usually eat the same things every day, with some variation on the meat of my main lunch and dinner)  and I end up walking around my local grocery store looking for something to eat. Problem is, after walking around for 15 minutes I usually end up buying something unhealthy like a soda with candy bar.

Usually these urges subside as I know that there is dinner waiting at home, but sometimes I crave more sweet than sustenance.

So I was wondering, what are some healthy but sweet snacks I could stack up in my drawers so I always have an obvious healthy choice over things like Pepsi and snickers?

I eat a lot of carrots and some apples but they can get stale after a while. Does anyone have good alternatives for these?

Edited by Hansu

Dried fruit is a nice treat every now and then. I like to have a variety of nuts on hand. One of my favorites lately is to have a fresh pineapple too. 

Look into Quest Bars or Bulletproof Protein bars. They are both guilt-free treats that are much better than a snickers bar :)

Snacks are great but I’d warn against the habit of constant snacking, and recommend looking into Intermittent Fasting. 

Bodybuilding/ Typical nutrition and the whole 6 meals a day gym bro science is complete BS 2-3 meals a day without frequent snacking is more than enough and becomes effortless after a while. 

Your digestive system needs a break!

it also doesn’t boost your metabolism at all...

This way you can also fully indulge when you do eat and won’t feel the need to snack! 

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/fat-loss-articles/snacking-metabolism/

https://www.greenmoxie.com/the-hidden-dangers-of-snacking/

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

11 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Snacks are great but I’d warn against the habit of constant snacking, and recommend looking into Intermittent Fasting. 

Bodybuilding/ Typical nutrition and the whole 6 meals a day gym bro science is complete BS 2-3 meals a day without frequent snacking is more than enough and becomes effortless after a while. 

Your digestive system needs a break!

it also doesn’t boost your metabolism at all...

This way you can also fully indulge when you do eat and won’t feel the need to snack! 

https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/fat-loss-articles/snacking-metabolism/

https://www.greenmoxie.com/the-hidden-dangers-of-snacking/

I did IT and OMAD for 6 years and it did increase my mental performance when I was in fasted state, but when I tried 5 meals a day I was completely blown off by the sheer willpower and increased bodily awareness I got from doing the 5 meals a day diet. Its not that I don't think IT and OMAD work, but they have their time and place just like 5 meals has its time and place, so I'll switch around as I feel the need.

16 hours ago, Average Investor said:

Dried fruit is a nice treat every now and then. I like to have a variety of nuts on hand. One of my favorites lately is to have a fresh pineapple too. 

Isnt dried fruit kinda like candy tho? Dried banana is awesome though :D

16 hours ago, Austin Actualizing said:

Look into Quest Bars or Bulletproof Protein bars. They are both guilt-free treats that are much better than a snickers bar :)

Ah! This reminded me, I can make my own bars! Thanks

@Hansu you know your own body man, fasting isn’t for everyone.

But I wasn’t suggesting OMAD that can be incredible difficult to get 2k+ calories and aLl required nutrients in one sitting, I was also more suggesting it from an overall health and longevity standpoint, good luck man ??

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

@Hansu I over indulged in some dried dragon fruit today lol. But I typically buy some as a treat every now and then. I see it as a really good replacement to soda and candy. When you go to buy it though watch out for the sugar and other things that article mentioned. Some get a lot of crap added to them that is just competently unneeded. No problem! 

I would recommend investing in some things like organic cashews, almonds, walnuts, etc. Lots or amazing nuts that are packed with nutrients. One of my favorite snacks, but it does get a bit expensive. I recommend buying bulk if you can. 

@Average Investor

Damn, dried dragon fruit sounds and looks awesome. I'll have to see if there is any at my local store

Im atm eating almonds, walnuts and pecans. All unroasted and unsweetened. Awesome addon to the self-made oats, peanut-butter and honey snack bars

Raisins, all sorts of nuts without salt and avoid roasted ofcs, dates,... Dried fruits and normal fruit.

Edited by Shiva99

"I should've been a statistic, but decided to go against all odds instead. What if?" - David Goggins.

@Hansu It was not quite as sweet as I would have expected. It kind of had a roasted flavor to it. But that might vary from where you find it. It was rather expensive at $9 for 10oz. But dragon fruit is a bit hard to come by I would imagine. I would like to get one in it's raw state soon too and try it that way. I buy frozen fruit for smoothies and I have one variety that has it, but I don't consume it individually, so I will be excited to see how it is normally. 

Awesome, it sounds like you are on the right track for snacking. I do intermittent fasting myself now, but I do snack in the 6 hours I eat. I have found pretty good results doing this it seems. I have a pretty well managed eating time.