Matt23

To Read or Not To Read?

6 posts in this topic

Recently, I watched a Rebel Wisdom episode with Daniel Schmachtenberger which focused on sensemaking, epistemology, and how to separate true, truthful, and representative information, as well as information ecology.  Basically, how the hell do we know what's true.

I just started reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond.  Partway through I thought "How the hell do I know if any of this is true?  Especially if it's a book and not a study with all the methods of research outlined.  Additionally, I'd have to really fucking think and do my own research on everything he claims in this book before I could have any semblance of truth, and even then I could be wrong."

This lead me to this question...

"Why am I even reading at all if there's so much up in the air?"    

Have you come across these issues?

How have you dealt or resolved them if you have?

How do you find the balance between critical reading and reading fast enough to get through information?

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

14 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

Additionally, I'd have to really fucking think and do my own research on everything he claims in this book before I could have any semblance of truth, and even then I could be wrong.

Of course! How else could it be?

14 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

"Why am I even reading at all if there's so much up in the air?" 

This is the fundamental nature of knowledge/science.

You're damned if you do but you're even more damned if you don't.

Hold ideas loosely, is the key.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Matt23 when you read this type of books it's pretty stressing. It's not like reading a novel wich you enjoy. These books you read slowly, and prety carefully. 

I think I've been trying to create some sort of ego around gathering knowledge and being "the one who knows" (for power, security, prestige, etc.).  I think I even do it to try and get some sort of fulfillment.  To "fill the void" as it were.  Knowledge as something to hold onto. Like, if i can just get enough of the right knowledge, or learn the best ways to sort information, I'll be able to accurately navigate reality using mental maps and know everything about how life works, etc.  Maybe I'm starting to see the limits of knowledge. 

Knowledge as smoke instead of cement.  

@Jonac I find I can make myself stressed about it forsure, but I also find some satisfaction and enjoyment.  I'm starting a new strategy of not going overboard on the note taking and simply working on getting the "just" of books, etc.

@Leo Gura Yea, I think the whole notion of holding ideas loosely is something I might've been shying away from due to what I said above.  

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

15 hours ago, Matt23 said:

I think I've been trying to create some sort of ego around gathering knowledge and being "the one who knows" (for power, security, prestige, etc.).  I think I even do it to try and get some sort of fulfillment.  To "fill the void" as it were.  Knowledge as something to hold onto. Like, if i can just get enough of the right knowledge, or learn the best ways to sort information, I'll be able to accurately navigate reality using mental maps and know everything about how life works, etc.  Maybe I'm starting to see the limits of knowledge. 

Knowledge as smoke instead of cement.  

@Jonac I find I can make myself stressed about it forsure, but I also find some satisfaction and enjoyment.  I'm starting a new strategy of not going overboard on the note taking and simply working on getting the "just" of books, etc.

@Leo Gura Yea, I think the whole notion of holding ideas loosely is something I might've been shying away from due to what I said above.  

Do you think there's inherently something wrong with looking to acquire vast amounts of knowledge or does the mistake lie in being too relient on this knowledge and living through it as opposed to directly experiencing life? 

@Matt23 Super interesting thought huh, how do you know the knowledge you're reading anywhere is accurate? If they had scientific journals in the olden days, they would've came up with peer reviewed studies on how the earth is flat.

It's always good to research the authors and where they're coming from, what bias they have and how they got the information. Also reading books recommended by someone who's judgement you trust to at least a degree is a good idea. 

It's also good to develop critical thinking and a wealth of knowledge so you can tell for yourself what is bullshit. Then, of course, become careful of your own bias but trusting your authority over an arbitrary one is a good skill to develop. 

Edited by LordFall

Kyle Fall - Lifestyle Photographer

Follow me & Watch my Content on Instagram

<3