Rasheed

Question about Calcium

18 posts in this topic

I have a question about Calcium intake:

• How can I get daily calcium requirement?

Most people like to stress importance of calcium. That’s cool but when I look at way they eat, 0 chance they are getting enough calcium daily, therefore I am asking this question.

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

@Rasheed it really depends on what the body is utilizing its calcium for. Doesn’t matter how much calcium is being consumed if all the calcium is being used as a buffer against acid build up to protect the cells. Even calcium in the bones will be leached if the parathyroid isn’t working properly. 
The best source of calcium is fresh fruits and veges, not the acid/mucus forming cow milk our bodies can’t even properly digest 

Veggies veggies veggies! Green stuff, will get a lot of calcium. Also some nuts, beans, and of course dairy, which be mindful of your consumption of. 

"Started from the bottom and I just realized I'm still there since the money and the fame is an illusion" -Drake doing self-inquiry

Lots of really good plant based sources: tofu,tempeh, natto,  sesame seeds, bok choy, amaranth, okra, almonds. You need around 700-1000mg/day but your body can regulate this easily even if you don't as long as parathyroid and thyroid are working optimally and gut is clean. 

+ good vitamin D levels are crucial for calcium metabolism as well. Also coffee may block absorption of it so best to separate it from large meals. 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Based on what I've read and been told calcium usually isn't the issue... Low magnesium and Vitamin D are legitimate health issues for many Americans... It's an epidemic by functional medicine standards and lab ranges are low according to these health professionals... PubMed has studies that say these levels are low by allopathic standards too...  Good luck

I googled foods which are rich in calcium. That's great but they still don't have enough calcium, per 100g to get up to 700g calcium per day...

How do you eat guys to make sure you get required amount of calcium?

6 hours ago, pluto said:

Silica is the missing element ;)

Why is silica the missing element? Calcium is not as important?

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

1 hour ago, Rasheed said:

How do you eat guys to make sure you get required amount of calcium?

By not believing what others say is the required amount of calcium and instead, listen to my body 

I like using my body for reference because it’s much simpler, and it communicates by energy flow 

Edited by DrewNows

16 hours ago, pluto said:

Thank you.

22 hours ago, DrewNows said:

By not believing what others say is the required amount of calcium and instead, listen to my body 

I like using my body for reference because it’s much simpler, and it communicates by energy flow 

That makes sense. People say that calcium is important for healthy bones. How can you test that, if you just listen to your body? 

P.S. Please remember, I am not trying to "prove you wrong" and staff. I agree with your point, 100% because that is what I am doing, every single day of my life, and that's extremely important in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

People say that calcium is important for healthy bones. How can you test that, if you just listen to your body? 

I trust my body first and foremost. Why not test through stretching, moving, or physical activity? But also it's not always what people say (on the surface) that matters, but why they say what they say, where the info comes from, and who benefits. Does adding more calcium to my diet fix weak bones? Maybe, but then why did my bones get weak? Old age is a commonly given answer but i wont settle for that. Why are my cells getting old? Why are they losing their ability to regenerate? Why is the body pulling the calcium from bones? Is it for neutralizing acids in the body? Perhaps diet plays a vital role in health and longevity. What if the body is a self sustaining system able to produce all the nutrients it needs but when it becomes too acidic due to poor elimination of cellular waste, cells/organs get damaged and the system has to adjust by creating sickness and weakness? Of course there's genetic weaknesses but with cellular regeneration, anything is possible

If the body truly is a self sustaining system then this might explain why there are people who claim to live without the consumption of food. Why some claim to get a blood test after months and months of living off only liquids and are told by the doc "whatever you are doing, keep doing it, everything looks perfect".  But then again, maybe all these stories and claims are untrue and it's best to put them all to the test. Cheers! 

15 hours ago, DrewNows said:

I trust my body first and foremost. Why not test through stretching, moving, or physical activity? But also it's not always what people say (on the surface) that matters, but why they say what they say, where the info comes from, and who benefits. Does adding more calcium to my diet fix weak bones? Maybe, but then why did my bones get weak? Old age is a commonly given answer but i wont settle for that. Why are my cells getting old? Why are they losing their ability to regenerate? Why is the body pulling the calcium from bones? Is it for neutralizing acids in the body? Perhaps diet plays a vital role in health and longevity. What if the body is a self sustaining system able to produce all the nutrients it needs but when it becomes too acidic due to poor elimination of cellular waste, cells/organs get damaged and the system has to adjust by creating sickness and weakness? Of course there's genetic weaknesses but with cellular regeneration, anything is possible

If the body truly is a self sustaining system then this might explain why there are people who claim to live without the consumption of food. Why some claim to get a blood test after months and months of living off only liquids and are told by the doc "whatever you are doing, keep doing it, everything looks perfect".  But then again, maybe all these stories and claims are untrue and it's best to put them all to the test. Cheers! 

You are a legend. Very inspiring. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, Nickyy said:

@Rasheed Drink raw milk. One glass a day has all the calcium you need. 

But make sure you know where you're getting it from and it's properly chilled. 

I've been drinking raw milk for years and I've never had a problem yet (touch wood). 

Milk is Acid, way too acidic. I read that milk's calcium is not helpful because It does not go to bones, because of it's acidity. Body has to fight  acid of milk with calcium of bones...

- What do you think about that?

Exercise and mechanical stress on bones are probably more important for bones loss prevention than calcium. This is a frequently missed element. Osteoporosis patients are prescribed gigantic doses of calcium and vitamin D and nobody points out their lack of mobility. Put frequent mechanical pressure on your bones through exercise, weight lifting, mobility exercises and manual work and your bones will be good for life :) Also having some additional muscle mass will protect your bones. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

Exercise and mechanical stress on bones are probably more important for bones loss prevention than calcium. This is a frequently missed element. Osteoporosis patients are prescribed gigantic doses of calcium and vitamin D and nobody points out their lack of mobility. Put frequent mechanical pressure on your bones through exercise, weight lifting, mobility exercises and manual work and your bones will be good for life :) Also having some additional muscle mass will protect your bones. 

Thank you. Very helpful.

I also think that diary causes osteoporosis. Like for example, my grandma eats tons of dairy daily, she still got osteoporosis. If it's was true that diary is good for bones, guess what would happen? Everyone would have healthy bones. No doctors need. No osteoporosis because everyone eats dairy. Dairy is just ain't good...

Edited by Rasheed

3 minutes ago, Rasheed said:

Thank you. Very helpful.

I also think that diary causes osteoporosis. Like for example, my grandma eats tons of dairy daily, she still got osteoporosis. If it's was true that diary is good for bones, guess what would happen? Everyone would have healthy bones. No doctors need. No osteoporosis because everyone eats dairy. Dairy is just ain't good...

I agree that it is a factor. Countries with the highest consumption of dairy have the highest ratio of bone loss. At the same time I think there is way more than dairy in Osteoporosis. There is sedentary lifestyle lack of sunshine, digestive impairment, acidic diet, chronic inflammation and unhealthy microbiota. Oestrogen in women is very important for bone maintenance and post-menopausal women have a drastically increased risk for bone loss and same for men with lower testosterone. In my opinion coffee is also has a correlation, the more the worse. Chemicals and heavy metals being stored in bone tissue may also be doing a damage. 

one problem about calcium is that if you have too much of it it will get stored in your blood vessels and care for some of the worst vessel diseases when you are older - the problem is not the calcium as already said - just wanted to point it out again - but the lack of vit d. vit d is involved in taking up calcium from the vessels (bioavailability). i stopped taking calcium as a supplement entirely and only take vit d as i am more concerned about my vessels than my bones in that regard.

Edited by remember

On 15/12/2019 at 4:55 AM, Rasheed said:

Milk is Acid, way too acidic. I read that milk's calcium is not helpful because It does not go to bones, because of it's acidity. Body has to fight  acid of milk with calcium of bones...

- What do you think about that?

Nonsense. 

One glass of raw milk per day is not going to give you oseteoperosis. 

Think about the studies done showing a correlation between oseteoperosis and dairy intake and you will find they are full of confounding variables. Beware of diet propaganda. Conventional pasteurised and homogenized dairy might not be healthy, you're right about that, but there are no studies done on raw milk consumers. Think about that for a while and you will see how this data can be manipulated to get the gullible to follow a strictly vegan diet. 

Second, if you eat some fruit and vegetables as part of your diet there is no need to worry about acidic foods being neutralized by the minerals in the bones. 

Humans have been drinking raw ruminants milk for thousands of years. No need to fix something that ain't broke 

Edited by Nickyy