Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
traveler

Is it “wrong” or “bad” for your spiritual growth, to get cosmetic surgery?

8 posts in this topic

I have to make a choice based on an unconscious action I took in my past. I sought jaw surgery/chin surgery about 3 years ago because of an insecurity in my appearance. I got referred to an orthodontist to get checked for a chin surgery, but he said that the whole jaw surgery would give me better results in the end. I have a disguised overbite. My upper teeth a tilted back and lower teeth tilted forward, creating the illusion that I don’t have an overbite when looking at my bite. My profile is pretty recessed though.
I went to my dentist today and she told me that she couldn’t promise improvements in any of the concerned areas I mentioned in terms of functionality (breathing, sleeping, posture etc.)
Let me get to the point: Since I had a profound awakening, there have been great difficulties in terms of taking actions like this one. Beliefs have been formed about what's right and what’s wrong in terms of spirituality, and my own growth. I have built a very strong belief that seeking aesthetic perfection is of the materialistic paradigm, and that it is very unspiritual and wrong to alter your looks just because you’re not particularly happy with it. On the other hand I do want this surgery because I have an intuition that it will help me health wise in the long run and that it also will make it easier for me to be at ease and accept myself on a human level. But I still don't know if this is real intuition or if it's my ego secretly using this as an excuse to get the surgery done so I can look better.
There is some strong cognitive dissonance going on here, and I would greatly appreciate some of you guys wisdom.

Basically: Is it “wrong” or “bad” for your spiritual growth, to get “cosmetic surgery”?

Edited by traveler

If u can’t cohabit with ur defects,I guess this is something u can do to improve ur life,in the end it doesn’t matter what You rationally believe as “spiritual or not “ ,what’s matter is how u interact deeply and how much u are in love with urself ❤️❤️

Edited by Fede83

1 hour ago, traveler said:

I have to make a choice based on an unconscious action I took in my past. I sought jaw surgery/chin surgery about 3 years ago because of an insecurity in my appearance. I got referred to an orthodontist to get checked for a chin surgery, but he said that the whole jaw surgery would give me better results in the end. I have a disguised overbite. My upper teeth a tilted back and lower teeth tilted forward, creating the illusion that I don’t have an overbite when looking at my bite. My profile is pretty recessed though.
I went to my dentist today and she told me that she couldn’t promise improvements in any of the concerned areas I mentioned in terms of functionality (breathing, sleeping, posture etc.)
Let me get to the point: Since I had a profound awakening, there have been great difficulties in terms of taking actions like this one. Beliefs have been formed about what's right and what’s wrong in terms of spirituality, and my own growth. I have built a very strong belief that seeking aesthetic perfection is of the materialistic paradigm, and that it is very unspiritual and wrong to alter your looks just because you’re not particularly happy with it. On the other hand I do want this surgery because I have an intuition that it will help me health wise in the long run and that it also will make it easier for me to be at ease and accept myself on a human level. But I still don't know if this is real intuition or if it's my ego secretly using this as an excuse to get the surgery done so I can look better.
There is some strong cognitive dissonance going on here, and I would greatly appreciate some of you guys wisdom.

Basically: Is it “wrong” or “bad” for your spiritual growth, to get “cosmetic surgery”?

@traveler Its not what you do, its why you do it.

We are social animals and making the best that we can of our appearance can influence our "social credit", which in turn can affect how and what we get out of life. Its neediness and insecurities that should be investigated however.

28 minutes ago, Matt8800 said:

@traveler Its not what you do, its why you do it.

We are social animals and making the best that we can of our appearance can influence our "social credit", which in turn can affect how and what we get out of life. Its neediness and insecurities that should be investigated however.

This is a big point right here.

Neediness and insecurities is something to not underestimated when u can’t accept urself for who u are :)

Sometimes people need to go through something to realize they never needed it to begin with.  

Another way to look at it.. .  Imagine your best friend was going through this. How would you lovingly help your friend?

Hey there,

"Strong Beliefs" are the opposite of spirituality, not the "materialistic paradigm", which is just one specific example of such a belief.

If you are juggling around beliefs and taking them seriously, you are in a state in which I wouldn't make important decisions. 

Deal with the internal dogma first (it goes hand in hand with the insecurity). If you then still feel like doing it without insecure motives, go for it.

Cheers