Surfingthewave

Diet and sleep

28 posts in this topic

Thanks everyone who replied I will be trying all these suggestions and will report back. Interesting about magnesium I shall try that, I love herbal teas and absolutely a holistic approach is key to this. I'm starting to eat less at dinner time and I've started upping my exercise as I think this time of year my energy is whacked due to lack of light. 

I also have a mother and sister who both have issues with sleep but that's a whole other thread..... 9_9

Edited by Surfingthewave

On 26/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, Michael569 said:

I'd try to start with this before blaming it on chakra imbalance ;) sometimes the answer is very simple.  

@Michael569 That made me laugh :D

Edited by Amandine

"Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence". Erich Fromm

Interestingly my sleep has improved. It's not consistent but much better. My mind becomes very active at night I've become aware of this.  My chakras are more balanced ? 

- I reduced my portion sizes and stick to mainly protein and veggies  for dinner, before bed  (no meat or carbs) 

- I've introduced more herbal teas, particularly ginger and turmeric. I've also introduced more blueberries, nuts, avocados etc into my diet. 

- I stick to a script when I wake up in the night, a bit of a mindfulness practice so I don't get into a cycle 

Sleep is medicine. Let's not underestimate it's value. Someone also posted on here you need less sleep the more spiritual work you do. Not sure about this but I'm sure that when I'm exhausted my ego runs amok. 

On 02/12/2019 at 8:05 AM, Aggelos Doulgerakis said:

Magnesium.

It's the mineral that is responsible for controlling anxiety and making us sleepy.

Magnesium sources include:

- Dark Leafy Vegetables (Definitely not the only reason to eat a TON of those)

- Nuts and Seeds

- Dark Chocolate (Preferably go for 80% cacao or more, so it doesn't have a lot of sugar)

- Legumes (Lentils,Beans,Chickpeas)

Also consider taking a magnesium supplement. It helps, but of course it is not necessary.

Try eating more of these foods, and I'm sure it will help you a lot, not only with sleep but with your general health. :)

Also like @Preety_India said, chamomile tea is really good too.

Nuts and seeds: packed with anti-nutrients, very difficult to absorb/digest, can cause digestive sleep disturbances,  will provide little magnesium benefits. Avoid. 

Dark Chocolate: Caffeine, avoid at all cost. 

Legumes: High carbs, increase glutamate in the brain, does with sleeping issues have a gaba/glutamate imbalance. Avoid.
____

When through 10 years of debilitating sleeping disorder, completely cured/fixed it with this routine:

- Low carb diet, any kind that can be digested, for most thats carnivore/paleo diet. 
- Avoid all digestive stressers

- Exercise... 

- Identify hidden stressful activities/habits and avoid.
- Learn what GABA is and how to maximize the bodys production of it. Can take Pharma Gaba supplement (highly effective).

- Magnesium glycinate supplement: Can be effective but for some it increase glutamate levels worsening mental chatter. 

- Melatonin Supplement Night: small dosage.

- Sun exposure, vital for melatonin production at night. 

- Fermented foods: Powerful effects on everything. Try Sauerkraut or Kimchi.

------
I now get 10 hours+ knockout sleep every night, 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@integral Thank you for this, I've been struggling with sleep again this week ? 

I do suffer with seasonal affective disorder due to lack of light, hadn't thought about the link with melatonin production. 

I would say I have an excitable nervous system so GABA could be key. As a kid I always struggled with sleep. 

I also have a stressful job, could be time to quit. Really great dietary tips. 

Again thank you and get that book published ? 

I get used to eat something before going to bed, because this is one of the ways to fall asleep faster. I can't just fall asleep hungry, with an empty stomach.  

On 26/11/2019 at 1:47 AM, Surfingthewave said:

Struggling with sleep right now, have upped my spiritual practices recently but also looking at link between diet and sleep. I tend to eat a largish meal before bed. I mainly do eat meat however once a week, and most of the time I eat pretty well.

In the past emotional pain always seem to go to my gut, very sensitive area, have looked into sacral chakra healing in this area. 

Anyone found success with changing diet and impact on sleep? 

I watched 1109 JRE and I bought the book, why we sleep by Mathew Walker. Try your library but honestly the book is a life charger. 

I cut out coffee after dinner. I workout earlier instead of later. I dim my tv and phone after dinner. I bought blinds. I have a sleep mask. My room is pitch black. I have been dedicating time to maximising my sleep. I have felt better. My training is going well. The quality of my life is 100x better. 

Read the book. At least, watch the podcast and do the work. Good luck.