Elisabeth

I actually found and applied for a "yellow" job offer

9 posts in this topic

... and I have to tell you because I can't stop thinking about it :)

So I was just randomly browsing job offers, and there was an unusual one: A small nonprofit networking other nonprofits regardless of their particular area of impact. I immediately thought it's a good endeavour, and I went to the nonprofit's website, read about their values and mission and thought "wow, yellow".

The job they offer is to network leaders of non-profit organizations across the "Visegrád Four".  (At first I didn't realize this was the case, I thought I could start in just Czechia :))

I applied, and amazingly, was considered, because of my experience with personal development and facilitating small groups. (Btw. the director absolutely knows Spiral dynamics and subscribes to Wilber's "integral" vision.)

I have no experience with either the non-profit sector, the V4 region, networking organizations, evaluation of projects, or organizing big events, and the little I know about Hungarian politics is scary. 

i was totally honest about my (lack of) experience at the interview.

Since then I'm thinking. It's likely they will take someone else, but what if they do call back? Could I take this challenging endeavour on, or is that too much of a jump? Will I be able to facilitate communication between leaders of foreign NGO's operating in a harsh political climate??? I'm a good listener and often I can point out the important, but generally, I tend to be kinda shy in communication. Do I want to travel every month? Also, I haven't been interested in politics very much so far - that would have to change, and I don't know if it would bother me to follow all the trouble closely (as has been the case so far), or if I'd be able to take it as a necessary and interesting part of work. 

It's clear that this is potentially way more impactful and meaningful than the phd in physics that I'm doing now. But I'm unsure whether I would be able to rise to the challenge. 

Comments welcome. 

Edited by Elisabeth

If you were honest within the interview of being inexperienced and they still have an interest in hiring you, then chances are they're looking for integrity and honesty within their system to maintain the apparent values they hold and respect what you bring to the table.

The only one who can really answer whether or not you are able to take the job is you. If you take the job and it doesn't work out, then it doesn't work out and you move on. The opportunity and experience is what is important. 

However keep in mind that all these thoughts are expectations that YOU hold towards this organization. You may be hired on and completely appalled at the way things are ran, or you may be surprised to know it exceeded your expectation, just notice that you have set one to begin with.

pretty much the choice is up to you. Ask yourself these questions as if you were asking someone else. Or more-over just re-read this post and answer the questions as if someone else was asking you these questions. 

sounds like this is out of your comfort zone and would really be a hit or miss opportunity, therefore i say go for it - but my answer is arbitrary. Do what fits with your purpose.

16 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

... and I have to tell you because I can't stop thinking about it :)

So I was just randomly browsing job offers, and there was an unusual one: A small nonprofit networking other nonprofits regardless of their particular area of impact. I immediately thought it's a good endeavour, and I went to the nonprofit's website, read about their values and mission and thought "wow, yellow".

The job they offer is to network leaders of non-profit organizations across the "Visegrád Four".  (At first I didn't realize this was the case, I thought I could start in just Czechia :))

I applied, and amazingly, was considered, because of my experience with personal development and facilitating small groups. (Btw. the director absolutely knows Spiral dynamics and subscribes to Wilber's "integral" vision.)

I have no experience with either the non-profit sector, the V4 region, networking organizations, evaluation of projects, or organizing big events, and the little I know about Hungarian politics is scary. 

i was totally honest about my (lack of) experience at the interview.

Since then I'm thinking. It's likely they will take someone else, but what if they do call back? Could I take this challenging endeavour on, or is that too much of a jump? Will I be able to facilitate communication between leaders of foreign NGO's operating in a harsh political climate??? I'm a good listener and often I can point out the important, but generally, I tend to be kinda shy in communication. Do I want to travel every month? Also, I haven't been interested in politics very much so far - that would have to change, and I don't know if it would bother me to follow all the trouble closely (as has been the case so far), or if I'd be able to take it as a necessary and interesting part of work. 

It's clear that this is potentially way more impactful and meaningful than the phd in physics that I'm doing now. But I'm unsure whether I would be able to rise to the challenge. 

Comments welcome. 

I have a feeling I was looking at this job (is it with ashoka?/) as well :). However, I do not look for a job I look for vision at least.

.... my advice ... always look who is behind the flow of the money... I do not think it is yellow in this case, it is still green, if not worse.

Otherwise, good luck, I hope you are going to like it.

Edited by archi

28 minutes ago, archi said:

I have a feeling I was looking at this job (is it with ashoka?/) as well :). However, I do not look for a job I look for vision at least.

.... my advice ... always look who is behind the flow of the money... I do not think it is yellow in this case, it is still green, if not worse.

Otherwise, good luck, I hope you are going to like it.

Nope, something else. Could be still green though, yeah. I didn't get the position yet, so don't worry :D

Out of curiosity, what would be the definition of yellow jobs?

And, what would be some yellow available right now across the spectrum?

@Omni Thanks a lot for your post, especially the bit about these being my expectations is spot on. I somehow knew, but I still need to hear that. 

9 hours ago, Omni said:

Do what fits with your purpose.

1 hour ago, archi said:

However, I do not look for a job I look for vision at least.

My purpose is still at the making. I think I need more real-world experience. I have some experience with groups. I have made at least two posts here on the forum about my search for purpose (the first one is more a result of contemplation, the second one is a bit more of a momentary mood, but still somehow true)

3 minutes ago, fi1ghtclub said:

Out of curiosity, what would be the definition of yellow jobs?

And, what would be some yellow available right now across the spectrum?

It's "spiral dynamics" stage yellow, and it's rather rare to find organizations this advanced. Of course, labeling this one as yellow is based just on my own understanding of the model.  

@Elisabeth What's up, I am from the Czech Republic! So I know a thing or two. I've never come across a job similiar to what you're describing. But I would really appreciate more detailed info. Gonna give it a thorough inspection, at least, see what they're up to. -_-