Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Raptorsin7

My Diet Is Terrible

42 posts in this topic

I want to improve my diet. I eat take out for almost every meal, aside from the occasional kale smoothie or grilled fish filet. I feel like my diet could be holding my personal development back, and I need to finally address this problem. I am still skeptical about how important diet is to self actualization, but I need to test this for myself. 

I am not ready for advanced meditation practice. I remember reading a post a while ago about how some people need to do ordinary self development before beginning advanced meditation, like a self inquiry practice. I used to think i was above that, but I feel like I am one of those people. I am not living the life I want to live, and right now i'm looking to meditation and yoga as practices that will satisfy my life. But i feel like I need to do ordinary self development first. 

I don't understand spiral dynamics yet, but I feel like this could be an example of me trying to skip stages by ignoring my diet. 

The purpose of this thread will be to track my diet every day. I am going to record all my meals, and maybe in the future i will include how my mood is changing with my changing diet. 

Edited by Raptorsin7

October 31st 2019

First Meal: Italian Pizza from Earls- Takeout

Second Meal: Grilled Fish Filet- Grilled at home

Third Meal: Kale + Spinach + Banana + Peanut Butter + Almond Milk Smoothie - Homemade 

Edited by Raptorsin7

November 1st 2019

First Meal: Italian Pizza from Earls- Takeout

Second Meal: Cod rice bowl from Browns- Takeout + Coke Zero 500 ml

Third Meal: Kale + Spinach + Banana + Peanut Butter + Almond Milk Smoothie - Homemade

November 2nd 2019

First Meal: Large Coffee 1 cream 1 Sugar + Banana Pecan Muffin- Tim Hortons

Second Meal: Teriyaki Rice Bowl - Earls

Third Meal: McChicken- Mcdonalds 

November 3rd 2019

First Meal: Large Coffee 1 cream 1 sugar + Banana Pecan Muffin- Tim Hortons

Second Meal: Italian Pizza- Earls

Fourth Meal: 2 Grilled Fish Fillets- Homemade 

November 4th 2019

First Meal: Large Coffee 1 cream 1 sugar + Banana Pecan Muffin- Tim Horton's

Second Meal: Italian Pizza- Earls

Third Meal: Mcchicken- Mcdonalds

Fourth Meal: Kale + Spinach + Banana + Peanut Butter + Almond Milk Smoothie - Homemade

November 5th 2019

Second Meal: Chicken Teriyaki Rich Bowl- Earls

Third Meal: Small Pepperoni Pizza- Boston Pizza

Fourth Meal: Kale + Spinach + Banana + Peanut Butter + Almond Milk Smoothie - Homemade

November 6th 2019

Second Meal: Pasta and Chicken- Browns

Third Meal:  Coca Cola Stevia + 2 Homemade Beef burgers + Bowl of Potato Wedges- Hello Fresh/Homemade

November 7th 2019

First Meal: Fish and Chips- Browns

Second Meal: Baja Fish Tacos- Restaurant

Third Meal: 2 Bacon and Cheese whoppers + Bottle of Sprite

Edited by Raptorsin7

November 8th 2019

First Meal: Large Coffee 1 cream 1 sugar + Banana Pecan Muffin- Tim Horton's

Second Meal: 2 Baja Fish Tacos + Sour Cream Sauce+ Coke Zero- Takeout

Third Meal: Kale + Spinach + Banana + Peanut Butter + Almond Milk Smoothie - Homemade

Lots of Alcohol. Beers, Vodka Cranberry's, etc

you need a very basic book on a healthy diet , not something exotic or overly complicated
Something for ideas and that you leave out on the table to physically remind you.  And then begin to transition gradually .
On a plate make half good stuff and half you regular stuff. Eat the good stuff first (use this mindset for everything)

At the same time meditation will help you but it is not directly related to diet and having a good diet is not a prerequisite to mediation.
That would be an excuse not to do it. Meditation is more of a prerequisite for eating properly than the reverse.

starts small, 5 minutes in the morning 5 minutes at night, eyes closed sitting silently and still, at the same times of day and night each time
Don't expect anything mystical just get used to the physical routine it.  Don't will anything to happen just observe your thoughts as they come to you and go. If a thought comes, wait until it passes. You can worry about it later this is just 5 minutes.
It isn't directly attached to diet.  Anybody can do 5 minutes.  Do that for a week and then increase to 7 minutes.
The persistence is what is important. As for diet you can learn more cooking techniques., eating out or ordering food in is more conducive to eating poorly

@Nak Khid I meditate consistently an hour a day, and i do ashtanga yoga 5 to 6 days a week. My diet is my biggest weakness, but im just too lazy to cook. Its too easy to just come home and order food, compared to taking the time to make stuff. I've experienced transformative change in my life, all the while eating a terrible diet, so i think mentally i dont actually believe that much in the importance of diet because i know growth is possible without it. But im defintely aware of how bad my diet is, i just dont have the will to change it.

Edited by Raptorsin7

One cooking method I often use is steaming in a large Chinese steel steamer. before it's finished cooking I heat up a frying pan, put some oil in and add spice and sometimes crushed garlic or fresh ginger, cooking the spice medium low for a minute or so.
Then add the steamed food into the frying pan and cook for a couple of minutes.
However if you don't want to do this you could start buying pre-prepared food from a healthfood store, that you just need to heat up Amy's is one of many brands that does a good job on these items.
If not you subscribe to a service that delivers these items to you on a regular basis.

About the mediation had the wrong impression you were a newbie  it but I see that you are not, it was the advanced meditation you were speaking of

@Nak Khid I've been ordering hello fresh recently, I'm going to continue ordering that. I've been meditating for a while now, but I haven't had any insights into selflessness, or any awakening experiences so I still consider myself kind of a newbie. I'm going to start using a dream board, and eventually I'm going to use it focus hard on my diet. 

Edited by Raptorsin7

Good work ?.

I started to incorporate on green smoothie per day into my diet which has already shown some results (better skin mainly). Other than that I eat want I want (sometimes healthy some times unhealthy). But for me doing this one healthy thing already lifts up my spirit and I can build upon it. So maybe thats for you also. I saw you had some green smoothies yourself ;) 

(But it could also be something smaller than that...)

@lennart Thanks man. Yea, i really like the green smoothies, they are super easy to make and I always feel good about myself after eating them. I do think eventually I need to clean my diet up hard, right now i'm just trying to limit my binges on junk food so I don't do too much damage to my body.

November 9th 2019

First Meal: Large coffee 2 cream + 2 sugar + Banana Pecan Muffin- Tim Horton's

Second Meal: Parmesan Chicken Pasta - Browns

Third Meal: Kale + Spinach+ Almond Milk + Peanut Butter + Banana 

Fourth Meal: Mcchicken + junior chicken + Sprite

1 hour ago, Raptorsin7 said:

November 9th 2019

First Meal: Large coffee 2 cream + 2 sugar + Banana Pecan Muffin- Tim Horton's

Second Meal: Parmesan Chicken Pasta - Browns

Third Meal: Kale + Spinach+ Almond Milk + Peanut Butter + Banana 

Fourth Meal: Mcchicken + junior chicken + Sprite

Your advanced meditation is let go of some of these food attachments.   Little things are actually attached to big things
I advise you buy a book on healthy diet immediately so you have a physical object on your table reminding you in detail of a better way.

1) do not always eat 4 meals eat when you are hungry
2) right now you are recording in writing what you are eating, so now using a book or website in eating healthily you need to write down some foods 
which are healthier in a meal plan (but you can do it n combination with your less healthy foods to make an easier transition)
3) the first meal is the most important one to eat as healthily as possible because this sets  the tone for the rest of the day
4) the meditation is this, positive affirmation, 5 minutes of  repetition in the form of a question and answer
"Will I eat and begin to enjoy eating healthier foods ?  Yes I will eat and begin to enjoy eating healthier foods"
This has to be done every day.  This is what you want and you need to train your subconscious animal mind  and it responds to repetition.
That is an advanced meditation dealing with a problem and accepting a solution on the subconscious level that responds to repetition.
Your conscious mind says "yes I understand that why should I say it 50 times?  "  It is because the subconscious mind is like a wild animal and needs to be told over and over again to get it to gradually settle.  The advanced part is introducing something you get pleasure from and transforming it, dealing with the addiction and transforming it to better habits through repetition
5) Your first meal was burnt bean water with animal fat, sugar, white flour, nuts and various Tim Horton's chemicals.
So  a better first meal does not have to be breakfast-like, don't worry about that.  The trick is if it doesn't sound appealing just wait another hour before eating until the hunger builds. At this point it will be appealing.

Overnight oats
1/3 cup of oats, two whole fruits finely chopped, a small handful of unsalted raw nuts or seeds, a tablespoon of yogurt, 1/4 cup of organic apple juice.   Mix and let set overnight in a covered bowl in the refrigerator.
Taste it you will probably like it. If not wait another hour, do something else in the meantime and by that time your hunger will make you like it
Drink: hot or cold tea, no fruit juice, no coffee

Replace soda with cold tea or sparkling water that has a fruit flavor but without the sugar.  Soda is one of the worst things you can put in your body.

You had two meals with chicken. Try to cut down the chicken and meat to one meal or none.
think whole grain, beans, vegetables as the staples.  Make sure this is on at least half of your plates and eat it first, then as transition the other half can be your usual Mcchicken crap.   If you have the good with the bad on the same plate and you eat the good first it is going to train you to eat better rather than one meal being the healthy meal and the other being the unhealthy meal.
The healthy pre-made meals are ok but they usually don't instill liking for fresh vegetables  since they are often in frozen form.
You  need a steamer and try to find some particular fresh vegetable that you enjoy and build from there.  The steaming method is healthiest and it's easy.
Just put a dash of olive or advocado oil and salt and pepper on it afterwards or add Tabasco
The trick is eat when you are hungry and if you are not just wait until you are. Every meal should have something healthy in it that you eat first.
If that is too unpleasant go do something else for an hour, the hunger will build and it will become appealing.  If you feel impulse to eat junk, don't eat for an hour.  Then it will be easier to eat something healthy first rather than be particular to some binge fantasy food.

@Sombra I will definitely look into those. I'm just being super lazy with food, and I always take the easy route and order take out.  

@Nak Khid That feels like a lot of work, and honestly I don't have the energy or the desire to do that much. My plan at the moment is to just eat healthier take out food then progressively work towards cooking.