GromHellScream

Requests for advice on how to wake up easier

9 posts in this topic

Hello. I hate waking up in the morning, but I have to to get the kids to school. It usually ruins my day because just because all I want to do is go back to bed, but i have to get some work done.

I'm trying to meditate before bed for more restful sleep

I'm trying to go to bed earlier.

I'm trying to have more positive thoughts about waking up.

Any advice from people who have become morning people? 

Do you feel that you get quality sleep?

Do you have consistency in sleep cycles so that you don't have to constantly readjust yourself, including weekends.

Weight -of course - but also different foods have huge impact on sleep quality.

Would you say that you have a peaceful mind - or - is your mind busy with thoughts, problem solving, worries and so on?

There are so many factors at play when it comes to high quality sleep.

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

My mind is constantly active... I do not worry, but i do problem solve, and i can only go just a few seconds without being sucked out into thought land, and i know that must be very draining on myself. It feels uncontrollable almost, and is only lessened by a consistent meditation practice. 

My wieght / deit is good. I eat mostly only what my body approves of.

My bed time is more steady recently as I am making an effort to feel better during the day.

Get into bed around 11:30, think uncontrollably for an hour before i fall asleep. wake up at 7:30 or so

I automatically wake up at 6 these days! And I think it's because I have more works during the day and I sleep around 11. 

But I remember a time I did anything to wake up soon but I couldn't. I even set the clock far away from my bed and put an apple between me and the clock to bite it on the way and deprive the sleep and it didn't work either xD

Edited by Elham

I also struggle with becoming more alert in the morning. What works for me is to immediately start cleaning my room, showering, taking care of my hygiene, and then meditating. Usually I'm alert after all of that, but in the cases that I'm not, I may go on a brisk 5 minute walk. The other thing I would suggest is going to bed at the same time every evening and set an alarm, which studies have shown, is much more healthy than the alternative.

In any case, I would suggest a strong morning routine of your choosing.

Notice that you did wake up. You didn't die in your sleep so that's a win already and the day hasn't even begun! 

Sailing on the ceiling 

• Have something that excites you that you get to look forward to each morning
  • Use your bedroom and bed ONLY for sleep (no phone/iPad/laptop in bed)

@GromHellScream I'd place my bet on doing some work to help quieting down your mind is going to be very helpful. If it's doing its thing, it's doing its thing also when you sleep - unless deep sleep - and also if you wake up in the night, it tend to be busy, and when you wake up you're back in the game, if you were ever out of it. 

Getting away from having a mind that is doing stuff with the past and/or the future and instead is most of the time present in "now" without being too analytical will instill a calm in your waking hours and it's not hard to see that a calm mind is going to get better sleep quality as well as less need for the same amount of sleep. Reversed, a busy mind can require huge amounts of sleep without being rested, in fact, too much low quality sleep in itself will have an amplified negative effect on the waking hours. Then you risk being caught in a negative loop.

If you don't already meditate, that is helpful. Also being mindful what it is that you keep your mind busy with, so that you don't get carried away with through processes that you don't purposefully engage yourself with. Thoughts have a great tendency to take you along for a ride without you having any intention to engage.

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today. 

two practical tips: put your alarm clock further away in the room so that you have to get up and actually walk towards it. The second one is to set two alarms 10 minutes apart from each other. The first alarm is to wake you up, and then in the next 10 minutes you can take time to prepare for the next alarm, in which you will have to get out of bed and stay out of bed.

Also, be aware of your thoughts which can create resistance towards getting you out of bed. And once the second alarm rings, just don't think about it anymore and just go. Personally I prefer no thoughts about it over positive thoughts about it.  Alternatively or complementary, contemplate if what you're currently doing in your life right now is really what you want to be doing right now in this stage of your life. If you are doing something right now that is not aligned with your purpose, it indeed will make it much harder for you to get out of bed.

Edited by Skanzi

I am using a new account named "Nightwise". In in fact intend to stop using this account from now on and use that account instead. So I am not planning on using these two account interchangeably or intermittently. Only "Nightwise" from now on. I am doing so merely because I like the username much more. For some reason, that feels to be important to me.