Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VeganAwake

Darn Sneaky Spiritual Ego!!

6 posts in this topic

The spiritual ego is the most armor-plated of all egos. It really is the toughest nut to crack. Many in their journey to return to wholeness experience this phase where the ego takes on yet another layer of inflation, of “identity”. Only this time it deems it legitimate because it has a spiritual label. This phase of the ego is still the ego however now it becomes largely impenetrable. From my own experience some of the traits of this phase are:

Becoming overly identified with intellectual knowledge

Defending that knowledge – spiritual righteousness

Spiritual vanity and pride

Spiritual superiority ( seeing others as less than)

Lack of genuine emotional vulnerability and transparency

Lack of radical self-honesty

Lack of self-awareness, self-observation

Lack of genuine curiosity

Teaching more than listening and learning

Lack of gratitude for others as teachers in their own right (students are teachers)

Resistance to being “called out” – lack of accountability

Wearing a mask of positivity (arising from fear)

Engaging in spiritual debates (arising from the need to be right)

Every one of these expressions is simply a defense against awakening. As such they represent the ego’s many and varied delaying tactics.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Indeed! The higher/deeper you go the sneakier your ego become ... and counterintuitively trying to escape or prevent directly is often (if not always) the best way to reinforce it !

That would be a perfect topic for a video ("Spiritual Ego : what is it ? how to escape?"), wouldn't it be @Leo Gura ?

@VeganAwake what I found is that the spiritual ego is a phase on your journey to melting the ego. You can’t skip that stage. The mistake would be to stop there. 

And anyway, I think that the spiritual ego is superior to a normal ego. A spiritual ego is just a half-melted ego. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

Oh yeah... It snuck in the back door on me a while back when I was at home on a family vacation. It took me awhile to even admit that that's what had happened.

Becoming aware early on is definitely helpful.

When one is awake the Consciousness shines through these masks..

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi