Zigzag Idiot

A COURSE IN MIRACLES

33 posts in this topic

IMG_0723.JPG

https://acourseinmiraclesnow.com/

ACIM got mentioned in Top Christian Spiritual  Resources. To not overcrowd it in the long run is my reasoning for starting this. Forgiveness and letting go of greivences is not a very popular message but it's at the core of ACIM. The theme of Leo's latest video.

Can you let go of things?

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

I need to go back to this. I tried it and didn't take to it. Can't remember why. I still have it. Maybe I wasn't ready before. 

Has anyone done the whole 365 exercises?

@Bill W  I did but it took me 2 1/2 years to mope my way through the exercises. On the other had, the text is brilliant and inspiring. I would recommend ignoring the exercises and just reading on the text. 

1 minute ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

@Bill W  I did but it took me 2 1/2 years to mope my way through the exercises. On the other had, the text is brilliant and inspiring. I would recommend ignoring the exercises and just reading on the text. 

Thanks. I'll take a picture of the book for you as when I ordered it I got confused as to what ACIM I was getting. 

@Bill W My messages above were probably confusing. 

The standard version which is basically 1/2 text and 1/2 lessons is great and they can be picked up cheaply.

There is a newer version that has the lessons but is also annotated with footnotes to New Testament. It's good if you're interested in cross referencing the text wth the New Testament and weighs about 4 lbs. It came out a couple of years ago.

22 minutes ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

@Bill W My messages above were probably confusing. 

The standard version which is basically 1/2 text and 1/2 lessons is great and they can be picked up cheaply.

There is a newer version that has the lessons but is also annotated with footnotes to New Testament. It's good if you're interested in cross referencing the text wth the New Testament and weighs about 4 lbs. It came out a couple of years ago.

Thanks. Yes I would be interested in that version. Thanks for letting me know. To be continued! 

@Bill W  I should have just put the links. 

This is the old original book put out by a nonprofit bunch out in California. This is the one I used.

https://acim.org/

This is the new annotated version that weighs 4 lbs.  However many stones that would be,,,,,?

While we're making distinctions here is what they call the urtext.

Its basically their notebooks on the material as they were in the channeling process.

http://a.courseinmiracles.com/#gsc.tab=0

On 9/2/2019 at 0:07 AM, Zigzag Idiot said:

@Bill W  I should have just put the links. 

This is the old original book put out by a nonprofit bunch out in California. This is the one I used.

https://acim.org/

This is the new annotated version that weighs 4 lbs.  However many stones that would be,,,,,?

While we're making distinctions here is what they call the urtext.

Its basically their notebooks on the material as they were in the channeling process.

http://a.courseinmiracles.com/#gsc.tab=0

I'm about to watch the video you linked above. Whilst I'm watching that I thought I'd post here.

This is the version I have https://www.amazon.co.uk/Course-Miracles-Pocket-Workbook-Manual/dp/0976420031/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1II7WCYC21I76&keywords=a+course+in+miracles&qid=1567941376&s=gateway&sprefix=a+course+in%2Caps%2C156&sr=8-4

Basically, with my version, that means I don't actually have the original text then?

Man, I could write forever right now. I glanced through the book above and I can see I underlined a bunch of stuff that grabbed my attention a few months back. I might end up doing a new thread on ACIM in another section of the forum as I have so many questions.

I'm struggling right now. I'm not in a good place at all. I am not doing any of the practices with regards spirituality in any form. I am not doing the work, and that's why I am on shit street right now.

I've also looked at your other links above, thanks for that. It reminds me of when I discovered my love for the Bible a few months ago, I then feel like a child in a sweet shop and don't know where to start!

Speak soon. 

@Bill W As far as I'm concerned, I welcome all your thoughts and questions about ACIM here on this thread. 

The version you have seems to mesh nearly 100% with the original.

The old original standard combined version was put out by. the foundation for inner peace. If I understood correctly a while back they also endorsed the newer annotated version put together by David Hoffmeister a couple of years ago. It's designed more for long time students but if you felt highly compelled to buy it, maybe you should. It's just that it's a massive book and not easy to carry around.

The biggest controversies with a Course in Miracles come from books like long term ACIM student Gary Renard who wrote The Disaperance of the Universe which is a part biographical and intimately connected with ACIM ideas. I would also recommend reading the version you have or the old combined version first and decide for yourself whether to also do the daily practices or not. IMO the daily exercises represent a form of boot camp for strengthening continuity of consciousness.

i would recommend looking at the urtext only after you have well begun or finished the edited versions. The interesting thing with it is commentary and critique by Jesus on Freud, Jung and others and the ideas they brought into the world. Other trivial stuff exist like the compulsions which bring about highly identified Quarter horse and thoroughbred race horse owners and enthusiasts and the phenomena underlying it.

Hope this makes sense and is some help,,,,

Edited by Zigzag Idiot
Cleaning up composition

@okulele  Thank you!

I'll try to check him out soon. Like Marianne Williamson, Gary Renard, who I've both enjoyed plus others I can't think of at the moment who have really devoted large parts of thier lives to studying this. It seems to attract rogue seekers and students like I am with the Gurdjieff Work and AH Almaas Diamond Approach. I appreciate the mention. 

When I encountered another rogue student of the Gurdjieff Work, Ocke de Boer. I felt blessed 10 fold from his particular articulation of the Gurdjieff Teachings. ?

Can anyone help with this. 

Why is ACIM referred to as Non-Dual?

I've never grasped what Non-Dual really is, despite many hours of reading about it. I know I don't have to understand it, and I am sure I could get a lot from ACIM anyway, but can anyone describe to an idiot why ACIM would be said to be Non-Dual?

.I know what it is and then I drink the water of forgetting. You're just like me. 

Love has no opposite. Love is experienced as Unity therefore nondual.

A bit from the preface:

The opposite of seeing through the body’s eyes is the vision of Christ, which reflects strength rather than weakness, unity rather than separation, and love rather than fear. The opposite of hearing through the body’s ears is communication through the Voice for God, the Holy Spirit, which abides in each of us. His Voice seems distant and difficult to hear because the ego, which speaks for the little, separated self, seems to be much louder. This is actually reversed. The Holy Spirit speaks with unmistakable clarity and overwhelming appeal. No one who does not choose to identify with the body could possibly be deaf to His messages of release and hope, nor could he fail to accept joyously the vision of Christ in glad exchange for his miserable picture of himself.

Christ’s vision is the Holy Spirit’s gift, God’s alternative to the illusion of separation and to the belief in the reality of sin, guilt and death. It is the one correction for all errors of perception; the reconciliation of the seeming opposites on which this world is based. Its kindly light shows all things from another point of view, reflecting the thought system that arises from knowledge and making return to God not only possible but inevitable. What was regarded as injustices done to one by someone else now becomes a call for help and for union. Sin, sickness and attack are seen as misperceptions calling for remedy through gentleness and love. Defenses are laid down because where there is no attack there is no need for them. Our brothers’ needs become our own, because they are taking the journey with us as we go to God. Without us they would lose their way. Without them we could never find our own.

A distinction needs to be made here.

Two different usages for the word 'mind'.

ACIM is not in contradiction with Dr. Robert Morse. They are in alignment. ?

Edited out of the final book was Jesus channeled through Helen, critiquing Freud and Jung. To be found in the urtext

The ego is as frail as Freud perceived it. The later theorists have tried to introduce a less pessimistic view, but have looked in the wrong direction for their hope. Any attempt to endow the ego with the attributes of the Soul, is merely confused thinking. Freud was more clear-sighted about this, because he knew a BAD thing when he perceived it, but he failed to recognize that a bad thing cannot exist. It is therefore wholly unnecessary to try to get out of it. As you very rightly observed yourself, the thing to do with a desert is to LEAVE.

from: http://a.courseinmiracles.com/urtext/chapter-3/section_6.php#gsc.tab=0

The unwatched mind is responsible for the whole content of the unconscious, which lies above the miracle-level. All psychoanalytic theorists have made some contribution to the truth in this connection,,,,,,,,,,,, Jung's best contribution was an awareness of individual versus Collective unconscious levels. He also recognized the major place of the religious spirit in his schema. His archetypes were also meaningful concepts. But his major error lay in regarding the deepest level of the unconscious as shared in terms of CONTENT. The deepest level of the unconscious is shared as an ABILITY. As MIRACLE-MINDEDNESS, the content, (or the particular miracles which an individual happens to perform) does not matter at all. They will, in fact, be entirely different, because, since I direct them, I make a point of avoiding redundancy. Unless a miracle actually heals, it is not a miracle at all. 

The content of the miracle-level is not recorded in the individual's unconscious, because if it were, it would not be automatic and involuntary, which we have said repeatedly it should be. However, the content IS a matter for the record, which is NOT within the individual himself.

All psychoanalysts made one common error, in that they attempted to uncover unconscious CONTENT. You cannot understand unconscious activity in these terms, because "content" is applicable ONLY to the more superficial unconscious levels to which the individual himself contributes. This is the level at which he can readily introduce fear, and usually does.

Freud was right in calling this level pre-conscious, and emphasizing that there is a fairly easy interchange between preconscious and conscious material. He was also right in regarding the censor as an agent for the protection of consciousness from fear. HIS major error lay in his insistence that this level is necessary at all in the psychic structure. If the psyche contains fearful levels from which it cannot escape without splitting, its integration is permanently threatened. It is essential not to control the fearful, but to ELIMINATE it.

From: http://a.courseinmiracles.com/urtext/chapter-2/section_5.php#gsc.tab=0

On 2019/9/9 at 2:01 AM, Bill W said:

Can anyone help with this. 

Why is ACIM referred to as Non-Dual?

I've never grasped what Non-Dual really is, despite many hours of reading about it. I know I don't have to understand it, and I am sure I could get a lot from ACIM anyway, but can anyone describe to an idiot why ACIM would be said to be Non-Dual?

@Bill W ACIM basically says that there's a God head (as Leo calls it) which is the Only thing that exist.

At some point, a side of this God head (called the Son)  had a tiny idea of "what would happen if I separate from the whole?"

The answer to that question was a dream in which the big bang the ego and everything you see was born.

inside this dream the Son forgot that it was God itself and identified himself with the ego, causing horrible fear and suffering.

but none of this really happened, it is all a dream, and You the Son are still the God head and on God in perfect oneness (or Non Duality).

ACIM is here to wake you up from this dream.