Schahin

What are differences between Ayahuasca and Peyote/San Pedro

15 posts in this topic

What are important differences between these two psychedelics? 

Do they both lead the way to enlightenment? After regular usage at least? 

Are they transcendental and ego dissvoling and therefore lift the veil of reality and maybe even experience no self? 

Which one will ultimately show the notion of oneness? 

And which one has more of a healing and teacher aspect to it? 

Edited by Schahin

@Schahin Are you seriously considering or planning to use Aya or San Pedro? Or is this more for intellectual curiosity?

I am seriously intending it.

I have two experiences with ayahuasca that were very helpful and incredible, but what I found is that it was very strong and difficult at times, and now I am looking to see the differences about them. I suppose the cactuses could teach more as they are less difficult and last longer.

As these plants occur in different regions in South America where one can experience it with knowledgeable and experienced natives.

I'd like to know essentially the particular questions above especially if these psychedelics lead towards enlightenment or ego transcendence/dissolution.

@Schahin I’ve done both multiple times. San Pedro is very gentle, yet also very deep. It’s very different than Aya. They both “transcend the ego” and I’m not sure what you mean by “enlightenment”. 

1 hour ago, Serotoninluv said:

@Schahin I’ve done both multiple times. San Pedro is very gentle, yet also very deep. It’s very different than Aya. They both “transcend the ego” and I’m not sure what you mean by “enlightenment”. 

Enlightenment I mean realizing no self, no doership and that everything and everyone is one. 

Do you like to describe the difference between the two? 

Edited by Schahin

I recently came back from Ecuador where I did ceremonies with both, and I'm going back to voulenteer in January. 

The biggest difference is that ayahuasca is an internal experience and San Pedro is more of an external experience. Aya is feminine and Huachuma (San Pedro) is masculine. This is true down to their shape. 

With Aya I felt as if I was in the presence of an elder feminine spirit, I could "speak" with her, ask her questions,let her guide me through the healing experience. 

Huachuma is more of an external sensation that takes you out of your head. Visually it was similar to lsd, but the feelings it brings up... It's almost like a truth serum in that whatever your problems are tend to come up, subconscious or otherwise. If you are doing it In  a group then you can feel what's going on with them. Pain, love, fear. Their feelings are your feelings. 

I didn't like Huachuma as much because I'm a bit of an introvert and the stuff makes you anxious and shaky, but it's a powerful medicine. Doing both at once is intense. 

I posted a trip report if you'd like to go to my page and read more about it. 

These won't enlighten you, but they will help if you let them. 

Aho

Edited by Zega
Autocorrect Makin me look like a damn fool

1 hour ago, Schahin said:

Enlightenment I mean realizing no self, no doership and that everything and everyone is one. 

Do you like to describe the difference between the two? 

You’ve already done Aya, so know what that is like.

San Pedro was much more gentle. It was not possessive. I was allowed to leave and return. No anxiety. Deeply mystical.

6 hours ago, Zega said:

Aya is feminine and Huachuma (San Pedro) is masculine. This is true down to their shape.

What do you mean by that? Feminine/masculine? Their shape?

@ttm energy is divided into feminine and masculine. Don't confuse this with gender. Feminine energy is creative and intuitive. Masculine energy is logical analytical. 

Ayahuasca grows in a swirling shape and Huachuma is very phallic looking. 

San Pedro and peyote, whilst both mescaline-bearing species, have some clear differences with peyote buttons causing more body-load and nausea than SP. The duration of either of these is much longer and slower to peak than aya (4+ hours, dose-dependant) and can leave you unable to sleep for 14+ hours; the mescaline character is also kind of more supportive than that of ayahuasca.

Both have their place but a mescaline mission needs careful planning because of the long-haul nature of the trip. A heavy dose is a daunting prospect IME, and the gentleness of its character can abruptly become obscured.

How can I imagine a mescaline trip? 

If it is a particular strong grounding psychedelic does it mean it is more ego enhancing and not ego transcending? 

Edited by Schahin

6 hours ago, Schahin said:

How can I imagine a mescaline trip? 

If it is a particular strong grounding psychedelic does it mean it is more ego enhancing and not ego transcending? 

Ime, it is not ego enhancing

22 hours ago, Serotoninluv said:

Ime, it is not ego enhancing

I remember Ayahuasca can give the experiencer existential terror, does this happen with the cactus too? 

1 hour ago, Schahin said:

I remember Ayahuasca can give the experiencer existential terror, does this happen with the cactus too? 

Not for me with san pedro. Ime and from others, it is generally gentle in this regard.

@Serotoninluv Amazing. 

Out of curiosity what is the use of Ayahuasca then if the cactus gives you a transcendental experience without existential terror and only transmits you the love that you are. 

I like Ayahuasca and find it a highly divine medicine, but it is very hard and relentless though. 

Do you find the teachings different do they have different messages to convey?

I know Aya opens the third eye and I think the cactus works on the heart chakra