Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dwarniel

Can someone explain ego to me?

26 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Surfingthewave said:

See, no one really knows ;)! Good luck on your path @Dwarniel and keep asking questions.... 

hahaha thanks <3

...But what if the opposite is true?

@Dwarniel 

As a baby grows and experiences the world, in not knowing who it is, it creates an idea of who it is based on experiences, thoughts and feelings. This is not only normal, but ideal in terms of survival & thriving. One must understand the world relative to one’s physical self. It’s important to know “I can eat fruit, I can’t eat plastic”, for example, or “I can touch the stove when it’s off, but not when it’s hot”. 

Over time, these thoughts of “who I am” coagulate to form what is referred to as an identity, a “who I am” theme of thoughts.  This “who I am” thought becomes a filter through which new experiences are experienced. In this way, we instill a deep idea that we are separate from the world - that there actually is this “ I “, which is a separate, individual thing. In believing we are a separate self, now, there is fear - the idea this separate self could cease to exist. Remember though, it never was more than thought which were attached with. So, ultimately, all fear is rooted in the fear of losing this self, of death. Again, remember, you made up the identity, by believing some thoughts about yourself, and not others. Flash forward many years, this “ I “ thought has persisted, and been added to.

A time comes though, when we intuitively know there is ‘something missing’. In all the plight & struggle to survive, and to be happy, something within us begins to suggest an error, a thorn in our side, something that just is adding up. A knowing, or sensing, that there’s more to this reality.

So begins the exploratory work of self discovery. A ‘going within’, a ‘going back’ - a recapturing of that spontaneity & zest for life we had when we were a kid, before we attached to the concepts of the the world, and of our selves.  This journey home can at times, be difficult, and very emotional. There’s a lot of misunderstanding to be released. It can certainly seem scary, but always feels great after inspection & releasing. 

A baby born into this world, fed & clothed, but not loved - does not survive. This is unique to the human. 

This will make great sense down the path, but for now, just keep that in the forefront of your mind. That we, everyone single one of us, needed love from others, to survive here. Love was our ticket in. If you’re reading this, you made it. :) 

Make a dream board, and establish some things and experiences you want in this life. DREAM BIG. As you pursue, and doubtful thoughts arise, choose a better thought. In this thriving, fueled by your dream, by your wanting, you will overcome doubts, and begin to discover who you really are. If you are honest and steadfast, you’re going to reach a place where you essentially make that all important switch in life, from one who needed the love, to one who gives the love. I hope you reach a point where you say, “You know, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear this whole place is made of love!”   And I hope you have the realization, that the implication there is this “one who know’s better” - is the “ego”.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

@Dwarniel The ego is the sensation that there is a separate 'you', located (for most people) somewhere behind your eyes.. who witnesses the outside world happening.  This 'you' considers itself 'independent' from all of the other goings on in the world.  It imagines that it is the author of thoughts... 

It turns out that this 'you'... is merely 'happening' just like everything else.  It's just another thought occurring now, the same way the sun is shining right now.. this 'you', it turns out, is not responsible for 'doing' anything any more than the sun is responsible for shining itself.. there is nothing the sun 'needs to do' to be the sun.. it just is... the same is true for 'you'..  just like there is no 'sun' inside the sun anywhere that 'does the sun'.. there is no 'you' inside of you which is 'doing' all of the things you do.. it's all just one big happening..  and any thoughts that occur such as 'I am doing this'.. or 'I am reading this sentence right now'.. are all just 'more of what is happening'.. 

There is no 'you'... 

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

14 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Dwarniel 

I hope you reach a point where you say, “You know, if I didn’t know better, I’d swear this whole place is made of love!” 

You know, I actually had that exact thought at one point during my 30 day meditation retreat. I was in this beautiful forest, my thoughts just stopped and everything started glowing with love. It was super weird and beautiful and I cried like a little baby. It fueled my motivation for doing more work. I don't feel like I really understand anything of what you guys are talking about, but maybe I will further down the road ^_^ Your post made a lot of sense though! Thanks

1 minute ago, Mason Riggle said:

this 'you' it turns out, is not responsible for 'doing' anything, any more than the sun is responsible for shining itself.. there is nothing the sun 'needs to do' to be the sun.. it just is... the same is true for 'you'..  just like there is no 'sun' inside the sun anywhere that 'does the sun'.. there is no 'you' inside of you which is 'doing' all of the things you do.. it's all just one big happening..  and any thoughts that occur such as 'I am doing this'.. or 'I am reading this sentence right now'.. are all just 'more of what is happening'.. 

Ooh, I loved this metaphor. Thanks

Edited by Dwarniel

...But what if the opposite is true?

The ego has two parts:

• Permanent individuality
  • Present personality

The permanent individuality is the thinker, self-consciousness, the simple feeling that “I am I, the attacher and the part that grows and absorbs spiritual learning through lifetimes in our endless evolution toward the divine. It is the part that reincarnates with the individuated atma-buddhi, so in a sense we are these three aspects as long as we play within Mayas  (differintation) realm. 

The present personality is the thought producer, it is the complex thought process as "I am a Mrs. Hannson here from Scandinavia" , it is made of skandhas (7 in total, 5 known 2 hidden) or agregates, it is the pain body of eckhart tolle, the persona that we show to other people. It's is what individual suffers of. It is finite and evanescent. It stays and roots with the body when the permanent individuality leaves it. Although skandhas survive and are waiting in the earth's atmosphere for the individual to reincarnate back and attach back to him and his body to create a new personality. Skandhas are created by our non-virtuous action. So in sense we become the likes of our actions. 

A good explanation:

"It is this “I am I” which we call the true individuality; and we say that this “Ego” or individuality plays, like an actor, many parts on the stage of life. Let us call every new life on earth of the same Ego a night on the stage of a theatre. One night the actor, or “Ego,” appears as “Macbeth,” the next as “Shylock,” the third as “Romeo,” the fourth as “Hamlet” or “King Lear,” and so on, until he has run through the whole cycle of incarnations. The Ego begins his life-pilgrimage as a sprite, an “Ariel,” or a “Puck”; he plays the part of a super, is a soldier, a servant, one of the chorus; rises then to “speaking parts,” plays leading roles, interspersed with insignificant parts, till he finally retires from the stage as “Prospero,” the magician.”

– H.P. Blavatsky, The Key to Theosophy. "

This is not really important to know while transcending the ego, but can be a fun perspective to be aware of. 

As the spiritual path is not completely linear. I do not advice this understanding of the ego. As this can become a belief. 

Edited by Wlangr

"The Universe is Mental--held in the Mind of THE ALL."

--The Kybalion.