Aydin

Should I go to psychiatrist?

8 posts in this topic

I’m a 38 year old man. I’ve been born during war, I’ve been molested when I was 6 by a family member, and another time when I was 13 by my teacher. I’ve been bullied by my classmates and my teacher! And My dad use to beat me if I did something wrong! never been in a long term relationship until 7 years ago. My question is should I be worried! I’m not depressed or anything, but should I see a doctor?

ps my partner is bipolar.

In the U.S., psychiatrists are generally focused on treating mental illness through medication. Psychologists, social workers and counselors are much broader and can help with a variety of life issues. They are generally not so quick to recommend medication and use a wide variety of methods like talk therapy, CBT, EMDR etc. Depression is not necessary to gain benefits. Years ago, I saw a counselor to discuss regular life issues and to explore my personality. I found it helpful in a limited context. 

I’m not sure how things are structured in your country.

You mention you don’t have depression or anything. What are you currently experiencing that raised questions whether you should see a psychiatrist?

Thank you! I have a very short temper, and as soon as I feel criticized I close myself! I feel very much alone even if I’m surrounded by friends. Sounds stupid but by Watching crime documentaries or movies I’m worried maybe it’s something wrong with me and it waits for a trigger!

The best type of therapist to visit would be a Psychoanalyst. Like mentioned above, you probably shouldn't visit a psychiatrist. 

Edited by Chi_

You don't need therapy, you need nature. That's real therapy :)

B R E A T H E

It sounds like you want to, so why not?  If you have a short temper, they can help you figure out how to reduce that.  

@Aydin You can research your own condition, you know yourself better than anyone else. Observe and write down the symptoms, triggers, patterns etc as they come up and do your home-work. From what you shared in OP I'd say start by reading on PTSD and attachment styles.

SpartanLifeCoach Richard Grannon has excellent YT videos on PTSD.

Also, what @pluto said - nature is the best therapy and it's free

Just be careful so they don’t “invent” a sickness for you. None of us are perfect and most of us constantly work on improving ourselves. To me that’s just a natural part of growing up and maturing process. Once you start struggling then you should get help for sure.

I have an opinion on everything :D