Knock

Struggling with Yoga

6 posts in this topic

I have been going to a couple of Hatha Yoga classes, but am having a really tough time with a number of the poses; most particularly, downwards facing dog.

I have heard this is a restorative pose, but I am finding it a real struggle, and can only hold it for maybe a minute or 2. Anyone else struggle with this pose? Is there any trick or pointers that helped you get better at it?

Keep practicing the pose and your body will adapt, a minute or two isn't bad. I like to think of it as I am making a triangle with my body where I am trying to make my tailbone the tip of the triangle. If its your arm strength you are struggling with , do some planks, if it flexibility, practice touching your toes with straight legs. 

Edited by OctagonOctopus

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

@OctagonOctopus thank you for your response :)

I think it might be a flexibility issue, as I have really tight hamstrings. My heels are up in the air when doing downdog, whereas all the other yogis have their heels flat on the ground. 

I'm surprised others  on this forum haven't had simular experiences. Please validate my struggles xD

@Knock When I first heard a yoga instructor say down-dog was a resting pose I was like “what?! Are you kidding me?”. It took me a few months of consistent yoga to get it. I don’t fully get it, yet enough so.

@Serotoninluv The western version of hatha yoga has only one purpose. To make your tendons and ligaments more flexible. The contraction and expansion of muscle fibers. Will break continuously and re-strengthen at greater tensile strength. Like all exercise, your body is unique, its just about doing things, diligently. Without over-stretching. 

if your having problems with ANY of the exercises. It means there is a "knot" a, densely contracted muscle fiber somewhere in the body. Namely the position where it hurts. You should work on that part first before actually continuing to do any advance or even simple techniques. There is a minimum tensile strength you actually need to do hatha yoga. This is when you can do simple techniques without them hurting. So look into isolating the position where it hurts and work on that before you do your downward dog. Similarly, keep doing downward dog, just do it less expansively and control the movement of your body. 

Hatha yoga in mysticism is about gaining control of your body as consciousness isn't located in the body. it's to detach your awareness from your body and see it as part of your awareness and in turn, your being. 

Would you be interested in trying classical hatha yoga as was taught in the ancient times in India? It might help you to try the real thing first