Rohit N

How to stop judging others and myself - music related

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I have found my Life purpose after a long soul searching and uncomfortable coaching sessions and some tears.
I am on my path to becoming a singer/musician.

However, I am slowly realizing that I judge other musicians a lot. For ex - Justin Beiber, I call that guy names and  think he is a very poor musician.

I also judge other YouTUbe stars too.

I was going through some personal development videos online and I came across the line that

"The more you judge others the more harder it becomes to do something Bold". 
I think that is the exact thing that has been stopping me!

I have good singing skills and can play some music too, but I keep putting off putting my music on YouTube because of fear of being judged.

How can I work on this ? Are there any meditation/exercises I can do to drop the judgement. ?? 

Has anyone faced this before?

Thank You!

You might want to read "The Four Agreements".

Could also write a song about what you are going though. Some of the best music conveys pain in a bittersweet way.

You can sink into the judgemental feeling you get during meditation and sit with it and go into it it, let it be as it is and accept it and it might soften up or dissapair. Don't go in as with a goal to get rid of it tho, be curious and interested in the feeling. 

Also just put ur music out even if you fear the judgement, dear to be judged yourself. 

On 7/22/2019 at 9:19 AM, Solonius said:

Could also write a song about what you are going though

??

Sensation is far more powerful that thought. Listen to it. If “it feels bad to think about X” - listen to that sensation, ponder the Truth in the message of that sensation. Why does it feel bad to judge others? Because the perspective “others” is simply not True, and you did not “come here” to think, you came here to make your music, and enjoy living. 

You would not turn on Mortal Kombat, and then set the controller on the floor, and ponder what the other character in the game is thinking. You would play. Life is intrinsically the same. 

You are pretending there is a separation, that you are a separate being / entity - separate from the universe, separate from other people. Then, from that false perspective, you tend to think more about what other people will think, than you are focusing on doing what you love. The truth is you could make the exact music you enjoy, and there will be an audience for it. Check for yourself. Think of something you believe nobody would want in a million years...google, YouTube, amazon it, and you will see, people actually do want it. Seven billion interests is so vast, you can do whatever you can think of and there will be people interested, and people not interested. 

See “life as a buffet”....if you like chicken, eat it. If you don’t like liver, pass on it. Don’t dwell on liver when there is chicken. When someone expresses judgement of you, or your music - simply know you are doing what you love, and they wish they were too. Perhaps your music strikes exactly this nerve, in it’s message of living, loving, and letting be. 

You are indeed no thing, all things, and you have the sensational guidance of God, hardwired within you. This is the greatest thing anyone could possibly ever have, and you already have it. You will never be without it, yet you are free to choose whatever perspectives you like. Might be wise to listen to the ‘opinion’ of the sensations as you go.

What if “baby, baby, baby, ohhhh” - is closer to the Truth than the culmination of every book ever written? What if life is simple, and you can dream it up, and experience it? 

Notice, when someone is talking to you, the tendency to think about your response while they’re still talking. Just notice the mind drifting etc. In being attentive to this, return to actually listening - actually experience the person as they are, without any input from your thoughts. You might “blow it” a few times, but you’ll notice now, and that will begin to open a door for you, a new ‘seeing’, if you will. 

Also, more practically speaking, you already have an audience. I want to hear your music. 

Also, you have arguably the greatest example right here in front of you. Have you not seen the threads people make, judging Leo? Do you not see how the Love he is giving, his dedication to the betterment of mankind, stirs up egos, and the judgement of? Do you think he gives a fuck? No. Why? Because he knows he’s creating, and that is just the nature of The One forgetting “it’s self”, and working it’s way to remembering. 

We all die. We don’t all live. Time is short. Don’t give a fuck. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

THank you for your responses.

I have tried to mediate and sit with the feeling. It's hard , but I can see some improvement.

I am trying to just be an observer of myself. Look at myself from a 3rd person view and trying to actually listen. I am trying on my path and trying to forget "It's self".

Live on the edge, ie the Hero's journey. It is scary, but I am sure it will be worth it.

Thanks

Hi All,

I recorded a cover video and posted it on YouTube recently.

There was a lot of resistance which came up. I decided to go with a stage persona and I felt it aligned to the kind of music I was into.

Thank you for supporting me. There is still a lot to learn. More videos to come.

Thanks!

@Rohit N

In the same way you would not judge flowers for blooming, it's silly to judge the world for justin-biebering. Fundamentally you are not conscious of what you are and who Justin Bieber is, so judgemental attitude is possible. 

I suggest you sit down with a pen and some paper and write as a contemplation topic: "why I fear being judged?" and ultimately, "what is fear?".

If you haven't already watched Leos video on fear, do check it out. Also check out his video: All Criticism Is Untenable. 

I feel it's one of the nicest milestones in early self-development when you start to notice how much better you feel after dropping some major judgements you keep making. Your mind won't like it, because judging is a form of entertainment for the ego. It's similar to dropping a TV habit.  

Edited by molosku

First- I will listen to your video as soon as my girls wake up- thank you for that.

I went through my own musical awakening back in 2001... I used to be "punker than thou" and "gother than thou," and then I took up listening to *Nsync as a slice of good ol' punk rock irony. It was an "act" in the beginning. Somewhere along the way, I realized-- Damn, this music makes me feel GOOD, whereas all the music I thought was "deep-n-shit" made me feel-- well, bad. Angry, etc. It was an ego feed. It was me placing myself on a pedestal of "better than" and "separate from," and for what? I eventually come to love certain types of music for the very fact that it's NOT deep, but is almost like the Frosted Flakes or Krisy Kreme of music-- you know why people scarf Krispy Kremes like they do? Because they are scientifically/mathematically tuned to ping all those craving centers. Because, at least in the moment, they feel really-f*king-good. (I have to say, I never had an *Nsync moment with Krispy Kremes, but give me a Nerds Rope or a pack of SOur Patch Kids and I'm in HEAVEN, despite being 90% an "obnosiously" clean eater. Yes, people even find eating healthy "obnoxious"- the judgement is on all sides, and it's really interesting to watch. At any rate, I've come to learn that there is no such thing as "guilty pleasure," there is no judging on what moves a person-- I just want a person to get moved.

Also- another thought about pop music- it is pretty much custom-crafted to create "entheogenic" experiences-- for a lot of younger folks, pop is the first time they have an ecstatic awakening (think of those people going apecrap over the Beatles, all the way through.) And, when we say it is "formulaic," it's largely because we know things like repetition, certain tones, rhythms, etc. can force that experience-- add in lights and group consciousness and- BAM. You see it in churches and native cultures all the time. Interestingly, Enigma's "Return to Innocence" is a song that "takes me there" without fail-- I looked up the aboriginal chant in that song, thinking it was gonna be something hella-deep. It's not. It's called "The Elder's Drinking Song" or sometimes "Joyous Drinking Song"- basically aboriginal sea shanty "pop." 

Anyhow, as you can tell, the "pop" topic is hugely interesting to me (was a big part of my career for a long while). Maybe investigating it as a scientific phenomenon will open you up to at least being like, "Wow, that's some pretty spot-on spiritual theatre right there!"

@molosku

Thank you so much for that video. I watched it, it gave me some new insights.

WE all are connected so judgement is like passing it onto myself!

Thank You