CreamCat

I don't recommend solo meditation retreat.

7 posts in this topic

If you go to a solo meditation retreat, you don't move for hours. That's not good for health.
I meditate for 20 minutes a day because one hour meditation is not good for my neck and my back and my blood flow.

If you want to meditate for extended periods of time, involve some bodily movements.

A better option is to turn your life into meditation. When you focus on one thing deeply, you are meditating. You can meditate about urges, insecurity, doubt, fear, and uncertainty. You can meditate about your questions, too.

Edited by CreamCat

@CreamCat My last retreat lasted for 4 days and we spent 10 hours meditating everyday. We also had stretching sessions every night. When the retreat was over, I felt very healthy.

When you go to a solo retreat, you don't freeze in time and doesn't move forever. You can also dedicate part of the time to work on your muscles.

unborn Truth

@CreamCat with right posture, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. Yogis and monks meditate many hours daily and I bet they are extremely healthy.

Reducing meditation to 20 minutes a day and equlizing sitting meditation with during-the-day-concentration "meditation" seems like a nice ego trick ;)

But you are right, when you meditate for longer durations it is no bad idea to add some bodily movements 

Edited by GreenWoods

In deep meditation the body tends to relax a lot. and you can sit and sit and sit very comfortably.

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

14 minutes ago, okulele said:

In deep meditation the body tends to relax a lot. and you can sit and sit and sit very comfortably.

couch.jpg

Maybe, a couch like this can help me meditate for one hour. I really need good support in my back and my neck.

Once I was able to sit 2 hours strait without much movement on my first Vipassana retreat. The body was so relaxed, I felt like I am healing it. 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

@CreamCat

That kinda pleasure castle would make me sleepy for sure. Too much relaxation and meditation only produces a sort of useless trance state. Maybe treat the illness rather than the symptoms? A healthy body should be able to sit for one hour with an relative ease. You might be tight from your legs and upper back.