Marina

What Is Your Morning Routine? Do You Have One?

88 posts in this topic

I love that topic, first of all, here are my morning and evening routines (they sort of relate to another):
Here's the morning routine:

1. 5.30 am: Wake up, make bed, ice cold shower (sounds harsh, but it's the the only thing, that really gets me going, you get used to it ^_^ )
  2. Meditation (20 to 30 min)
  3. Planning: Reflecting on my mission statement & reviewing my daily to do's
  4. healthy breakfast (usually a green smoothy with some fruit, sprouts and seeds (I have soothies found to be the most energizing thing ever, better than caffeine), sometimes rolled oats with dried fruit, nuts and plant milk)

And the evening routine:

1. journaling (recently, I found myself journaling throughout the day more, so I sometimes skip that)
  2. Planning: reflecting the past day, planning the next one
  3. reading for about 30 min
  4. bedtime at 10.30 pm

I'm still refining the routines, also I want to include working out, doing some affirmations and visualizations and maybe a second meditation in the evening. Also, I probably shift the reading to the morning routine after the breakfast, to make it the first thing, my mind focuses on.

A thing about the planning and reflecting: I roughly plan the upcoming week the sunday before, and then review my plan every moring and evening as part of my daily routines, maybe make some minor adjustments. I found this to be the way, I am both productive and flexible.

22 hours ago, ayokolomo said:

Thats interesting, I always meditate before my morning workout, might have to try to switch things around.

Trust me, it's better to switch - I say it regarding my experience

@ayokolomo Actually, I think that if workout like jogging, doing bicep curl etc is done for a while, IT BECOMES A MEDITATION SESSION :) I have seen that, I have felt that... so, doing exercises is like a warm-up routine before one starts meditating... 

exercise is medicine        yes! it is meditation! you can see it if you put your heart and soul in exercising!

YOU FEEL GREAT WHEN YOU EMBRACE THE PAIN! WHEN YOU FEEL YOUR HEART PUMPING BLOOD IN YOUR BODY... that's awesome! that's the very moment you feel what it means to be a human being...

Edited by David :)

9 minutes ago, David :) said:

@ayokolomo Actually, I think that if workout like jogging, doing bicep curl etc is done for a while, IT BECOMES A MEDITATION SESSION :) I have seen that, I have felt that... so, doing exercises is like a warm-up routine before one starts meditating... 

exercise is medicine        yes! it is meditation! you can see it if you put your heart and soul in exercising!

YOU FEEL GREAT WHEN YOU EMBRACE THE PAIN! WHEN YOU FEEL YOUR HEART PUMPING BLOOD IN YOUR BODY... that's awesome! that's the very moment you feel what it means to be a human being...

My morning workout is really doing basic warm ups, lunges, push ups stretches etc.  Sort of meditative, but nothing like yoga or tai chi.  Tommorow morning I will switch my routine around and meditate after my exercise

Now you sound like a man who enjoys physical challenges, I have found that brazilian jiu jitsu is the most intense exercise at bringing these emotions out of me.  When another man is using all his will, strength and technique to try to strangle you, then you truly are in the present moment.

@ayokolomo "When another man is using all his will, strength and technique to try to strangle you, then you truly are in the present moment." - so true! I had been doing Karate for 3 years, I didn't have many achievements like getting black belt, winning a championship etc for 3 years I used to wear white belt... in competitions other competitions would beat the sh*it out of me... I had been a punchbag for 3 years. Although I would try my best, everything was in vain...             BUT!        subconsciously I could always the Gold nugget results. For 3 years I had been going through crucial psychological development phase. I got much wisdom about fear, human capabilities... understand ya? 

On 08/02/2016 at 2:17 PM, David :) said:

OH! HERE IS THE BEST FOOD TO START YOUR DAY WITH  -   GARLIC !    eat 1 clove every morning

@David :)

I've tried this before and I read that the actually ideal/max dose is 3/4 garlic cloves. But, it started to suck a bit, because of the bad breath. And, besides that, the flatulence became really really smelly. So I've stopped taking it... How it goes for you during the day?

Many people is talking here about the cold shower. I want to start doing this, thought I don't know what are the real benefits. I know that if a person has high blood pressure is not healthy, because it will raise it more. Low temperatures (including cold weather) constrict blood vessels. As a result, blood pressure rises because more pressure is needed to force blood though narrowed blood vessels.. For now, when I take a shower, I just rinse my body with cold water which is stimulating to the nervous system and to wake me up. It also helps retain heat in my body by constricting surface blood vessels.

This topic should be merged into this one! :P

Edited by Leandro Oliveira

Have been doing this morning routine for about 5 weeks now and is going well for me looking to add to it as well 

- Wake up at 6:30 

- Cup of bulletproof coffee 

- Meditate using headspace app (really good and I think has just been launched in the US) 

- Visualize for 5 mins 

- Affirmation for 5 mins ( Currently: "I am completely independent of the good or bad opinions of others" from Leo's how to stop caring what people think of you vid) 

- 15 mins of Sentence Stem exercises from the book " the six pillars of healthy self esteem" 

Some good ideas I have got to add to my morning routine are 

- Review my values & strengths 

- Review my mission statement 

- Breathing exercises  

Any other quality suggestions welcome 

Wow, this thread is full of energized morning soldiers.  

How about:

• Wake at 5:30
  • Shower if necessary
  • Brush teeth (always necessary)
  • Commute 45 minutes

I have kicked the coffee habit, occasionally drink tea at work.  Occasionally eat before 11AM.  During the workweek all exercising and meditation happens in the evening.

I work constantly towards my morning routine. I usually do the following:

-Wake up at 7AM

-Heading to gym at 7:30 or morning run (one day gym, one day morning run)

-8:30: Get back home and take a cold shower.

-9:00: Green smoothie, meditation, and sometimes positive affirmations.

10:00: Start working (I work from home as a freelancer)

My routine is quite simple and I'm planning on optimizing it a bit further. I'm thinking about reading 30 minutes in the morning, play guitar, and even do a bit of visualization. I usually tend to read after my daily work (5-6 hours) and it can be pretty tiresome. I may as well start waking up earlier, at 6:00AM or something like this.

I usually meditate after my morning exercise, which can be quite though sometimes, as I'm pretty energized. I was thinking about meditating just after I wake up, but i might be sleepy and fall asleep. Do you guys have any suggestions?

I envy some of you, respect for the cool morning routines. :) I know that meditation and reading would be the best choice but I am just in the beginning of building a self-actualized life.

But I'm going forward step by step, recently I started to eat healthier stuff. I'd like to warn some of you who drink coffee immediately after getting out of bed that that's a very unhealthy thing. Don't drink coffee on empty stomach, only after breakfast. As far as I know drinking a cup of warm water with some real orange or grapefruit drops is very good for the body.

Unfortunately my first thing is pressing the power button on my notebook, but it's hard to leave this habit.. I always want to know the news and contact my gf, etc.. 

I hope I'll have a better routine soon and I'm glad to hear all your ideas here. :)

Current morning routine as follows (not that strictly clocked):

5:00 Wake up

5:00-5:30 Journaling in bed

5:30 Getting dressed (loose home clothes)

5:30-7:30 Working on private passion and side projects

7:30-8:15 Do-Nothing Meditation on cushion

8:15-8:20 Affirmation: "I am energy" while starring at my huge Norway map (going to bike travel this summer)

8:20 Getting dressed for work/internship (9-5 in office)

8:30-8:50 Commuting to work by bike (4,5 km)

9:00 Healthy breakfast + green/black tea

Just started this week on Monday, determined to stick with it every week, Mon- Fri

My morning routine:
6am Wake up, make myself a glass of warm water.

6:10am Meditate (20 mins)

6:30am head to swimming pool

6:45am Start swimming

7:45am Finish swimming, take a warm shower

8:00am Head back to home

8:15am Breakfast, chat with my friends

8:35am Make lunch (usually salad/sandwiches)

8:50am Visualise (5-10 min) 

9:00am Day starts

Evening routine:

9:00pm Planning (reflect on the day, plan ahead for tomorrow)

9:15pm Social network, entertainment (optional)

9:30pm Read (30 min)

10 pm Bedtime

Edited by clementlo

On 2/8/2016 at 7:50 AM, Leo Gura said:

Don't forget to start the day off with a super-clean, preferably raw veggie or fruit meal. No wheat or corn or refined sugar crap.

I do a healthy smoothie.

How about oatmeal? Good for protein.

On 2/17/2016 at 2:17 AM, Adam G said:

Wow, this thread is full of energized morning soldiers.  

How about:

• Wake at 5:30
  • Shower if necessary
  • Brush teeth (always necessary)
  • Commute 45 minutes

I have kicked the coffee habit, occasionally drink tea at work.  Occasionally eat before 11AM.  During the workweek all exercising and meditation happens in the evening.

Why did you kick the coffee habit? I drink 1 cup a day without sugar

This inspired me to make a morning routine. I was establishing it before, but my life circumstances have changed a little bit. My perfect morning routine would be:

• Wake up 7 am, or earlier
  • Drink a glass of water
  • Write a "Morning Pages" journal (It's a technique from "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron)
  • Wash face, beauty routine
  • Have tea and a small, healthful breakfast
  • Do a morning exercise (yoga, walk, hike)
  • Say affirmations for 20 minutes at least

@Toasty I quit habitually drinking coffee. Still have a cup every now and then on the weekend. It was just the years of needing the coffee everyday I wanted to break and concern for my teeth. And perhaps change for the sake of change.  Now that my caffeine intake is so low, I'm really surprised at how sensitive I am now to caffeine.  

20 hours ago, clementlo said:

6am Wake up, make myself a glass of warm water.

I don't see the 5-10 minute allotment directly thereafter for a bowel movement. :) 

20 hours ago, Adam G said:

I don't see the 5-10 minute allotment directly thereafter for a bowel movement. :) 

haha I think there are 2-3 mins dedicated to getting a cup of water from the tap, putting it into the kettle and allow it to boil for some time. 1 minute for drinking and the remaining 6-7 mins is to wait for bowel movement and (if it just so happens) take a shit :$ (yes! what a great way to start the day by literally removing toxins from the body B|)

Edited by clementlo

2 Glasses of warm water, few jumping jacks, take a look at my vision & goals, take another look at my values/personal mission statement, 20-min meditation, 5-min positive affirmation, 5-min visualization, 3-min contemplation on my own death