Ampresus

Ramadan is starting soon, any advice?

14 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

All the muslims probably know already. Ramadan is knocking on the door once again. I am posting this topic because I want to gather advice as to how to go on with self-actualization and spirituality during Ramadan. If there are certain foods that are good to eat before the time that we are not allowed to eat anymore. If there is something we should really eat the moment we are allowed to.

Anything is welcome. I wish everyone who does it best of luck. A month... god damn. Personally, because of a lot of stress, I stopped doing meditation and all of that for 2 months now. All I do is read at the moment so I must be good to go.

Take care.

I'm not a practicer of Ramadan, so I'm sorry I can't help with the food aspects of your question. 

The purpose of the fast is to submit to a higher authority. The goal is to act as if you are standing before God all the time. You can further this goal while also practicing mindfulness and self-actualization. Meditation is probably an excellent way to do this, and hopefully also to de-stress. Whenever you feel yourself mentally pushing back against the restraints of Ramadan, try to free your mind by reflecting on why you do this, how it helps your faith and your spirituality, and maybe spend a few seconds just being present in your resistance. Understand that these feelings are natural, and use them to help yourself moving forward. Don't look at the practice as a restriction, but rather as a celebration.

Best of luck to you moving forward! 

The first step on a spiritual journey is to realize that everything you know to be true could be false.
The final step is the same.

-=+=-

It is not wise to wait on an excuse like ramadan or birthday or xmas or valentines day for examples to fast, or be loving and happy and do something good with your life, you should do this every day and treat each day as a gift as a blessing and celebrate every single day as if its the only day there is.

Do not follow the crowd, be your own hero!

B R E A T H E

How about this Ramdan lets Eat drink fu k and be merry.

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

Just do the 30 days.

I will.

Even if you are completely unconscious, you'll still get huge results. I am 22 and I have never missed Ramadan fasting a single year since I was 13.

It's difficult at first, but it's totally worth it, and it's a beautiful tradition.

The ego gets super irritated while fasting, that's your best chance to learn emotional mastery.

I would eat lots of pork before the fast begins. 

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

22 hours ago, Truth Addict said:

Just do the 30 days.

I will.

Even if you are completely unconscious, you'll still get huge results. I am 22 and I have never missed Ramadan fasting a single year since I was 13.

It's difficult at first, but it's totally worth it, and it's a beautiful tradition.

The ego gets super irritated while fasting, that's your best chance to learn emotional mastery.

Hey yaah. @Truth Addict can u make a post  of how you do it like how is ur fasting days are like. I wish to try it am no muslim and dosent have a clue how this guys fooding goes  and do you recite prayers. 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

4 hours ago, Eric Tarpall said:

I would eat lots of pork before the fast begins. 

I think Muslims should do that and  Non muslims like me should follow Ramdan practices this year.

@Harikrishnan

This is my first day, I slept at night and woke up before dawn, me and my family had "sohoor" which is the last meal before starting fasting.

I slept right after dawn, and woke up at 08:something A.M.

I have to go to work, as usual, so I'm not really changing anything about my routine, because I don't usually sleep a long period of time at once, my sleep is intermittent. Although I might limit my internet usage and use that time for resting, contemplation, mindfulness practice, meditation, self-inquiry, etc... I've never done serious practices in Ramadan before, so that might be interesting, it's a great opportunity that I don't want to miss.

I don't think any breathing techniques are good in this regard, especially shamanic breathing, because it'll cause dehydration. However, watching the breath is still one of the most powerful techniques.

In my culture (about 70% Muslims), there are some traditional food in Ramadan: dates is perhaps the most you are familiar with, but there's also a type of pastry which is called "maarook", it's similar to bread but it is sweet and most often it's covered by a sugary liquid.

There are also famous drinks in Ramadan: "sous" which translates into licorice and "tamr hindi" which translates into Indian dates, I don't know if India has anything to do with it though.

So after I get back home from work, I still have another job to get done, it's more physically exhausting than my first job, I'm probably not going to be as efficient as I usually be because of lack of energy, so the duration might change or I might go after the "iftar" which is the first meal right after sunset.

I think it's easier to fast when everyone around you is fasting as well, still, there are very valuable things to learn from fasting alone.

We usually recite prayers right before the first meal, acknowledging that we are thankful to Allah, and appreciating the blessings of food and water.

Make sure you are clear about your intentions with fasting, that'll help you a lot. Some people aim for emotional mastery (me), others aim to feel for the poor, others aim for detoxifying the body, others aim for mystical experiences, others aim for discipline, etc... But all of that is done for a larger goal which is seeking the satisfaction of Allah, or in other words, seeking to hinder the devil inside of us (ego), or in other words, we must fast selflessly and not seek the attention or approval of others.

Anyway, now that I have become more aware than I ever was, I don't think the kinds of food or drinks or prayers are really important, they are beautiful traditions though.

My advice is to stick to the challenge and not give up, you might feel like dying and that water is the best thing in the world, and that's true, but don't give up, if you don't have any diseases, then you can do it.

I hope that gave you some insight, thanks for contributing, and good luck!

❤️

Edited by Truth Addict

48 minutes ago, Truth Addict said:

@Harikrishnan

This is my first day, I slept at night and woke up before dawn, me and my family had "sohoor" which is the last meal before starting fasting.

I slept right after dawn, and woke up at 08:something A.M.

I have to go to work, as usual, so I'm not really changing anything about my routine, because I don't usually sleep a long period of time at once, my sleep is intermittent. Although I might limit my internet usage and use that time for resting, contemplation, mindfulness practice, meditation, self-inquiry, etc... I've never done serious practices in Ramadan before, so that might be interesting, it's a great opportunity that I don't want to miss.

I don't think any breathing techniques are good in this regard, especially shamanic breathing, because it'll cause dehydration. However, watching the breath is still one of the most powerful techniques.

In my culture (about 70% Muslims), there are some traditional food in Ramadan: dates is perhaps the most you are familiar with, but there's also a type of pastry which is called "maarook", it's similar to bread but it is sweet and most often it's covered by a sugary liquid.

There are also famous drinks in Ramadan: "sous" which translates into licorice and "tamr hindi" which translates into Indian dates, I don't know if India has anything to do with it though.

So after I get back home from work, I still have another job to get done, it's more physically exhausting than my first job, I'm probably not going to be as efficient as I usually be because of lack of energy, so the duration might change or I might go after the "iftar" which is the first meal right after sunset.

I think it's easier to fast when everyone around you is fasting as well, still, there are very valuable things to learn from fasting alone.

We usually recite prayers right before the first meal, acknowledging that we are thankful to Allah, and appreciating the blessings of food and water.

Make sure you are clear about your intentions with fasting, that'll help you a lot. Some people aim for emotional mastery (me), others aim to feel for the poor, others aim for detoxifying the body, others aim for mystical experiences, others aim for discipline, etc... But all of that is done for a larger goal which is seeking the satisfaction of Allah, or in other words, seeking to hinder the devil inside of us (ego), or in other words, we must fast selflessly and not seek the attention or approval of others.

Anyway, now that I have become more aware than I ever was, I don't think the kinds of food or drinks or prayers are really important, they are beautiful traditions though.

My advice is to stick to the challenge and not give up, you might feel like dying and that water is the best thing in the world, and that's true, but don't give up, if you don't have any diseases, then you can do it.

I hope that gave you some insight, thanks for contributing, and good luck!

❤️

Thanks and u dont drink water right, and u will spit off saliva also right? And other thing is what is the time for that meal in the morning?

25 minutes ago, Harikrishnan said:

Thanks and u dont drink water right, and u will spit off saliva also right? And other thing is what is the time for that meal in the morning?

Yes, I don't drink water until the sunset.

No, I don't spit off saliva. I swallow it as usual. Lol, who even does that?

The time is right before the "azan" of dawn, which is about one and a half hours before the sunrise.

Edited by Truth Addict

On 04/05/2019 at 9:49 AM, Harikrishnan said:

How about this Ramdan lets Eat drink fu k and be merry.

lol now that's what I call adding some Orange kindle into a Blue fire. Actually, this may be the best advice on how to start escaping blue dogma once and for all. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

lol now that's what I call adding some Orange kindle into a Blue fire. Actually, this may be the best advice on how to start escaping blue dogma once and for all. 

Yeah i live in a blue place, i know how  ramdan are for this people, if they can do this then it might evolve them from blue to orange.

Fasting is overrated.

Peace!

... 7 rabbits will live forever.