kamill

FInding meaning in music

14 posts in this topic

My life purpose is to become musician a stage performer and Iam on a good way to become that. But sometimes I ask myself if I do this thing just to satisfy my own need and answer is kinda yes. 

I would like to influence people much more than just entertain them.  I love music but kinda lack the meaning and feel like Iam selfish

Any thoughts on this ?

Well music is about making other people feel so it isn’t entirely selfish.

5 minutes ago, BjarkeT said:

Well music is about making other people feel so it isn’t entirely selfish.

if you don't feel yourself, no one will

@Aeris ? That seems like a whole different topic

Edited by BjarkeT

@kamill it's a good insight. And it's true. Becoming a performer is highly selfish. It takes enormous time to reach it and the influence is really not that big. When you start to contemplate what is it that the world needs the most. Music is like... 999th place of what the world needs now :D planting a tree which takes 15min is probably more beneficial then becoming musician which takes 15years. :D

I took Leoˇs LifePurposeCourse and everything suggests me to go this direction. Do you guys still think i should pursue it 

19 minutes ago, kamill said:

I took Leoˇs LifePurposeCourse and everything suggests me to go this direction. Do you guys still think i should pursue it 

Yes if you want it you should.

On 4/28/2019 at 4:36 PM, kamill said:

My life purpose is to become musician a stage performer and Iam on a good way to become that. But sometimes I ask myself if I do this thing just to satisfy my own need and answer is kinda yes. 

I would like to influence people much more than just entertain them.  I love music but kinda lack the meaning and feel like Iam selfish

Any thoughts on this ?

Music is one of the best tools for influence there is! You basically emotionally manipulate people with a really good song. If you want to inspire and influence then write it into the lyrics  samples, speeches or whatever it is. Later in your career when you have a big following you can go and spout your ideas on twitter and watch the shitstorm commence. :D

Dont look at me! Look inside!

7 hours ago, kamill said:

If you chose to become a musician it's fine, if you don't it's also fine, all that matters is to get enlightened anyways. Music can be your way of growing, or it can be your way of sustaining your survival needs while you trying to get enlightened.

But if you want to make an influence to the world then... You're just fooling yourself. If you care about making a difference then there're 100 more effective ways.  go plant a tree or join some safe the world organization or become someone who raises people's consciousness like Leo or a therapist at least.. or someone like vippassana or Yoga(real yoga) instructor.

Also one thing in future that will happen is that there will be 90% people with mental and physical illnesses. The kind of generation that is now growing is so so weak. Kids these days have no physical activity. They sit all day doing nothing.. they don't get any exposure to nature, they eat junk food since the day they are born. There will be a catasthropy of sick people soon. Being a doctor would be of immense significence. Not necessary weatern university doctor but for example ayurvedic doctor, diet doctor, nutritionist, acupuncture, massage, Yoga also could be used to heal traumas ect. There are many forms of healing.

All in all. Raising human consciousness and creating wellbing and health will be super important in the future. You should aim towards that.

Edited by Salvijus

I have the exact same problem, i like music but i'm falling out of love with it, i've been doing it for the last 10 years of my life, i am in a successful musical project but i want to run courses in personal development and my values point to a different direction in life. I already know how i'd do a life in personal development, but i've committed so much time to music and getting out of it could even be a huge mistake, can you follow two life purposes? What should i do? I feel like i'm trapped between two paths, music is fun (sometimes) but lacks real purpose and personal development seems to have all the purpose but i would be starting from scratch and leaving something that has great potential.

Any help i'm 21. But i want to do great things. 

On 4/29/2019 at 1:36 PM, Salvijus said:

1) But if you want to make an influence to the world then... You're just fooling yourself. If you care about making a difference then there're 100 more effective ways.

2) All in all. Raising human consciousness and creating wellbing and health will be super important in the future. You should aim towards that.

1) This is horribly, horribly wrong. Music done right is one of the LARGEST influences on the human psyche. You are laughably underestimating the power of music. You don't know how many people were on the verge of suicide, but realized there was a spark of hope when listening to their favorite artist. You don't know how many people have cried to songs that mean something to them in times of need (post breakup, after a loved one dies, etc.) The feeling of connection that music brings about is unreal. It can give you hope in the darkest time, comfort in the loneliest times, and it can even get you to self reflect in ways you would never have done otherwise had you not shut up and listened.

It's meditative, in a sense; when you listen to a tune it replaces your monkey mind for a few minutes and higher insights can arrive to you in that moment. I remember in high school having a devastating fight with my mom, and thinking to my self "god, she's such a bitch I hate her." Then, out of inspiration I put on my "sad music" playlist and began weeping as I realized what a devil I had been, demonizing my mom when really all she wanted was the best for me. But I was so busy thinking "ME ME ME" that I couldn't see her perspective. Sure, planting a tree might have a more obvious effect than someone playing music, but trust me. Music can move mountains in its own subtle way. Few things are as PERSONAL as music.

2) Refer to my comment above. It's a wonderful personal example of music "raising consciousness." It's on the same level as doctors, if not higher. If you can not open your mind to this, you do not understand the human psyche as well as you think you do.

Now, obviously, you could still be a trashy musician and there's a chance that your music will reach nobody. In that case, obviously, planting trees for a living would be far more effective if you are going for impact. But that's not a valid reason to dismiss music. For any aspiring musician @kamill my advice is this: Ask yourself EXACTLY what impact your music has. Every day, for the rest of your life. If your music is not moving mountains, keep refining it until it does! This is not an overnight process. Nobody said it will be easy. Do your research, perfect your craft, and put yourself out there.

Edited by RendHeaven

It's Love.

There are musicians who make world a better place. For example theres a band called king gizzard & the lizard wizard, in their music and especially in their latest album they touch problems like: plastic overuse, environmental problems, cruelty to animals etc. And on the other side it can lead towards enlightenment. I have had many meditative experiences with music. Actually i had one of my first ones while playing an instrument. Playing and instrument is an activity that can totally turn of your thoughts and lets you be in the moment.

On 03/06/2019 at 0:43 PM, Kornel71 said:

There are musicians who make world a better place. For example theres a band called king gizzard & the lizard wizard, in their music and especially in their latest album they touch problems like: plastic overuse, environmental problems, cruelty to animals etc. And on the other side it can lead towards enlightenment. I have had many meditative experiences with music. Actually i had one of my first ones while playing an instrument. Playing and instrument is an activity that can totally turn of your thoughts and lets you be in the moment.

Who is to say that some musicians makes the world a better place, and others not ?