Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
montecristo

what did himalayan yogis actually eat?

11 posts in this topic

So they were literally sitting in caves in the mountains... How were they surviving? What was their day to day existence actually like? What im most curious about is their diet, and obviously they werent all breatharians.

We always hear about fruitarianism being the pinnacle of yogic diets but I doubt that they would have access to fruit in cold mountainous conditions.

I have no idea but it seems most likely that they would have needed to subsist on meat mostly.

anyone know anything about this?

the other thing I have been intrigued by lately is that Aztec shamans had the luxury of commissioning runners to go back and forth to the ocean and bring them massive amounts of fish becasue they believed it assisted them in communing with the gods. To me that speaks to omega-3s and their role in brain health and perhaps high doses giving some sort of spiritual advantage.

The very well known olympic strength coach Charles Poliquin would have his athletes consume 30g of omega 3 per day as a performance enhancer.

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

30 minutes ago, montecristo said:

So they were literally sitting in caves in the mountains... How were they surviving? What was their day to day existence actually like? What im most curious about is their diet, and obviously they werent all breatharians.

Well what have you been surviving on so far?

if you say bread, butter, meat, fruit, veggies etc then you are incorrect. 

Wake the fook up and see you've been living on memories 

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

14 minutes ago, Preetom said:

Wake the fook up and see you've living on memories 

No way. For real?

35 minutes ago, Preetom said:

uh ok, this is insightful...

‘The water in which the mystic swims is the water in which a madman drowns. --Joseph Campbell

1 hour ago, Preetom said:

@Preetom tell us how does it taste ? 

ive been livin on dumplings maddafakka

9F0B96D0-EE1A-4F53-9DD3-832A309E7F93.jpeg

Dont look at me! Look inside!

32 minutes ago, tecladocasio said:

@Preetom tell us how does it taste ? 

Oh don't pretend like you are alive on something else!

19 minutes ago, Rilles said:

ive been livin on dumplings maddafakka

9F0B96D0-EE1A-4F53-9DD3-832A309E7F93.jpeg

Lool :D

Edited by Preetom

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

i eats absolute infinity!

8BD44CE3-9328-40E0-9D92-F14864ECD88E.jpeg

@Preetom

Edited by Rilles

11 minutes ago, Rilles said:

i eats absolute infinity!

8BD44CE3-9328-40E0-9D92-F14864ECD88E.jpeg

@Preetom

i craps absolute infinity! :ph34r:

''Not this...

Not this...

PLEASE...Not this...''

@Preetom Absopoops infinity

ill stop shitposting now no pun intended

Its says about this in om swamis memoir. I can't remember exactly, but basically he had a companion who chose to 'serve' him. he would go and get him chapati bread and I think also milk. He says that all he ate was like 3 chapati breads a day and (possibly) the milk while he was meditating like 22 hours a day. The other guy was also meditating most of the time a few hundred feet from om swami, but he was the one who would go out and get the things they needed. (oh and you know how om swami became a millionare then gave it all up, well he was smart enough to kept just enough of his wealth so that he had given himself a certain monthly allowance for whatever he might have needed when he took up the monk life. it wasn't that much, I think it might have even only been like $50 a month, but the point is, he DID have some money AND a helper)

Basically if your truly meditating for this amount of time, the amount of food your body requires is very minimal, and yes there is claims that some learned to live soley on a more subtle form of prana (breath) and not the grosser form of prana (food). But i'm sure those people don't have much contact with the outer world for verification (or even to be acknowledged as existing lol)

But in that culture, a true meditator who is doing this sort of work, the people will regard them very highly, and they are very eager to 'contribute' to their efforts in hopes that they will share in some of the spiritual fortune from helping them (and rightly so, I am sure). so basically, most of the cave monks will have people bringing them food to survive. That's how most of the 'real' ashrams were built... people just started following the yogi and started building these ashrams for them as offerings or because they wanted to help the yogi (even if it was only in the physical world). 

Edited by passerby