carlowillo

How to approach creative growth on YouTube

14 posts in this topic

My Life Purpose is strongly pointing towards setting up a video essay channel about paradigm shifts on YouTube. But I haven't really got any experience with writing or video editing. Nor have I really done anything creative in my life.

I was just wondering about how I should go about doing the videos to maximize creative growth.

I tend to be a perfectionist and my first video took a long time because I kept adjusting and changing things (keep re-recording my voiceover, re-editing certain parts etc). I do this because I really want to get across my message effectively and don't want to waste some profound subject on a video that's not that well made.

Would it be more effective to just work on getting out as many full videos as possible, while not being that strict (to a degree) about the final product? Would this be a lot more beneficial for my creative growth, or is it better to really get the spend time on the details on each video?

Using this method, I could also cover these same topics in later videos when my skills are increased and I can communicate them more effectively.

Thanks

44 minutes ago, carlowillo said:

My Life Purpose is strongly pointing towards setting up a video essay channel about paradigm shifts on YouTube. But I haven't really got any experience with writing or video editing. Nor have I really done anything creative in my life.

I was just wondering about how I should go about doing the videos to maximize creative growth.

I tend to be a perfectionist and my first video took a long time because I kept adjusting and changing things (keep re-recording my voiceover, re-editing certain parts etc). I do this because I really want to get across my message effectively and don't want to waste some profound subject on a video that's not that well made.

Would it be more effective to just work on getting out as many full videos as possible, while not being that strict (to a degree) about the final product? Would this be a lot more beneficial for my creative growth, or is it better to really get the spend time on the details on each video?

Using this method, I could also cover these same topics in later videos when my skills are increased and I can communicate them more effectively.

Thanks

Whats your channels name?

To be honest you just have to pump out videos, thats how you learn. See the difference between Leos first videos and the ones he did recently, such a major difference in confidence and tone of voice and everything, but you have to start. Say fuck the fear and do it.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles Yeah I'm gonna switch my approach to just having fun with it and learning for these first few videos and not stressing too much over the final product. 

My channel name is EmbraceTheShift. 

This is my first video man, if you've got the time let me know what you think. 

18 minutes ago, carlowillo said:

@Rilles Yeah I'm gonna switch my approach to just having fun with it and learning for these first few videos and not stressing too much over the final product. 

My channel name is EmbraceTheShift. 

This is my first video man, if you've got the time let me know what you think. 

This is a really professional video! I like the humoristic vibe with the music in the background, makes it way less dry then it could’ve been. Great job man! Just keep hammering at it.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@Rilles Thank you man, I appreciate it. 

This is only my first so hopefully a year down the line they will be 10x better.

Kept me engaged, I liked it :) how long did it take 

Who's your target audience btw? orange tipping into green ?

Edited by d0ornokey

@d0ornokey Thank you man! Maybe like 120 hours? Lots and lots of re-doing bits and getting used to the editing software etc.

Yeah the vision for my channel is a transformational platform for open stage orange people to explore stage green ideas.

@carlowillo I don't know much about creating growth on youtube, but I must say that I really enjoyed your video and encourage you to keep producing this high quality content!

Yeah its awesome. 120 hours is excessive though, it doesnt seem sustainable

1 hour ago, d0ornokey said:

Yeah its awesome. 120 hours is excessive though, it doesnt seem sustainable

You get better and faster with time.

@Knock Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

Many more videos to come

@d0ornokey @universe Yeah included in the 120 hours was getting used to the editing software, redoing loads of it so it wasn't absolutely shit lol etc. 

@carlowillo where do you buy videos used in it from? 

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi