Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Blind Sage

Nonduality and Flow-state

9 posts in this topic

Is flow state a quasi 'mystical experience'?

Whenever I get into flow (usually in high stake situations in sports, adventure sports etc) I will think right after the experience 'holy shit how did I manage to do that?' 

Then I wonder-where did the 'I' go during that moment? My sense of self dissapeared for the duration and it it felt like time stopped...its quite difficult to subjectively explain the feeling because its so foreign.

Hence, I was wondering if this is a glimpse into no-mind. How does flow state relate to nonduality?

The flow state happens when you are intense and relaxed. You are intense because of the rush and relaxed because you enjoy it. According to sadhguru all the yoga practice and meditation is essentialy preparing the body and mind to be intense and relaxed just by sitting without any external help. 

3 hours ago, The Blind Sage said:

Is flow state a quasi 'mystical experience'?

Whenever I get into flow (usually in high stake situations in sports, adventure sports etc) I will think right after the experience 'holy shit how did I manage to do that?' 

Then I wonder-where did the 'I' go during that moment? My sense of self dissapeared for the duration and it it felt like time stopped...its quite difficult to subjectively explain the feeling because its so foreign.

Hence, I was wondering if this is a glimpse into no-mind. How does flow state relate to nonduality?

There is some similarity but it is also not really a mystical or nondual experience at all. You are still deeply unconscious in a flow state.

It is similar in the sense that the sense of I is gone and thoughts are gone. But awakening is much more radical.

Flow state shows you how nice it feels to not have ego controlling your life. But it gives you no understanding of what reality, Self, or God is.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I’d say flow states are quasi glimpses into nonduality.,Much closer than standard dualistic mindsets. Yet flow states are a type of autopilot. Other nondual states, especially on psychedelics, have a much higher level of awareness.,It can be intense and seem fascinating, whole or scary sometimes. 

It can be useful combined with meditation.

Edited by purerogue

Yes, a lot of people can channel amazing art and writing in a flow state even before they awaken. After you awaken your flow states become much more dominant of your experience. 

For example an introvert can't get into a flow state around people. After you awaken you'll become as comfortable in conversation as the extroverts even if you had severe social anxiety before, with a tiny amount of work. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Hey guys, just discovered state of flow and it's literally fascinating me. Already watched probably every video on youtube (probably the best is this one: 

Do you have any good source of informations? EG studies, ebooks or something else? Thank you and have a nice day.