Bodhidharma

I don't get it when Leo teaches that we shouldn't hear the mind.

6 posts in this topic

So, I read in some of Leo's replies that one of his fundamentals teachings is that we shoudn't listen to the mind, but to what extent and how?

I mean, when I started meditating I remember that I was thinking: "Yeah, that's good for me, I should do this". And when we contemplate, aren't we using our mind to understand reality using our own experience? Could someone explain this to me or send a video? Thx guys.

54 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

So, I read in some of Leo's replies that one of his fundamentals teachings is that we shoudn't listen to the mind, but to what extent and how?

I mean, when I started meditating I remember that I was thinking: "Yeah, that's good for me, I should do this". And when we contemplate, aren't we using our mind to understand reality using our own experience? Could someone explain this to me or send a video? Thx guys.

That confused me too, every master says that and in reality I realized that by myself and I think that was a big part of why I was in a hospital with big depression, but that's another story.

Think of the mind like a crutch. Right now is what supports our ego. We can avoid doing that.

The thoughts that are more in alignment with the true self are the ones that can bring enlightenment to you. They are not real, because all thoughts are not real but.... some thoughts are closer to reality and some other thoughts are plain bad.

Just try to follow your instincts, when enlightenment comes you will see that there's something inside you that guides you without having to think.

You KNOW it's true and you don't need to "THINK" about it. Because you will KNOW, instead of "THINK" about it.

That's your true self.

At least that's what I discover in my actual level of understanding.

-_-

Edited by abrakamowse

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

@Mikael89 Aren't you the incel guy who was just ranting over how you would never get a girlfriend and that love wasn't a universal experience and all that redpill/ blackpill shit? Is that thought not "impermanent/bullshit/not real" ? 

thinky.w700.h700.jpg

@Bodhidharma The mind is a tool. The usefulness of it depends on where it's coming from. There's a difference between insight, contemplation, practical thinking, and egoic, fear-driven thoughts. Being mindful, it should become progressively clear which is which. "Don't listen to the mind", like anything, must be taken in context. When the mind is triggered - involved in petty judgments, rationalizations and other selfish things, it's a good idea not to listen to that crap. To the extent that it's possible. Leo's videos on intuition and higher self vs lower self might be helpful to your question, from my memory of them.

Yeeeees, lots of good thinking(lol) we have here. I'll put everything said here in perpective, but first I'll contemplate on the matter (it's such a mindfuck for me to use the mind analize itself). For now the best way to look at it is that there's this higher-self/intuition that helps to filter the bs.

Because the mind is the map, not the territory.

Watch Leo's episode: Direct experience vs concept.

The mind can only take you so far, then you'll have to see what it's actually pointing you to.

Edited by Truth Addict