Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Enlightenment

5-MeO-DMT, conciousness, brain, EEG coherence

26 posts in this topic

@outlandish I'm by no means an expert on DMN function and brain circuitry is interconnected - so there is no discrete DMN network independent of other brain activity. My understanding is that the DMN is necessary, yet insufficient, for a sense of self. Nearly all humans have a baseline level of self - we contextualize our lives relative to how it impacts our sense of self. There are different degrees of connectivity. Most people can temporarily step outside this self and observe the self, at least temporarily. For example, some people may focus on how their father harmed them and how their problems in life are due to their upbringing. Yet when guided, most people could see another point of view. For example, a psychologist may ask to consider things from the father's point of view. Perhaps the father grew up in an abusive house and his father abandoned him. Perhaps the father had children too young and was in over his head. Most people could pause and think "yea, I hadn't thought about it like that before". . . As well, most people are not self consumed all day. They may go hiking and lose their self in nature for a little while.

The thought examples I gave were arising from DMN hyper-connectivity and activity. An extreme form of self immersion and self defensiveness. This could be expressed through narcissism or depression. Or, extreme goal setting and ambition. I would predict the Wolf of Wall Street guy had extreme DMN activity. 

My understanding is that the DMN is within a larger network for thinking. For example, abstract (non-self) thinking is centered outside the DMN. As well, the DMN may be reinforced through other brain areas such as the amygdala (a fear center). And hyper-DMN activity can inhibit other brain function and experience - such as the insular region associated with a sense of empathy. I'd love to see some brain scans on Trump. I'd predict a hyper-active DMN and amygdala and repressed insula.

Below is a recent research article of psilocybin-based treatment for resistant-depression. Consistent with previous work, the brain scans indicated that during the psilocybin trip there was DMN disintegration, global integration and amygdala repression. After treatment, patients were categorized as responders and nonresponders. Amygdala repression was temporary and returned to normal activity. The DMN re-integrated in all patients, yet there were differences of DMN re-integration between responders and nonresponders. The authors hypothesized that complete DMN disintegration serves as a "reset" and allows the DMN to re-integrate in a healthier manner (I would add that post-treatment therapy during the re-integration is likely to be helpful).

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-13282-7

@Serotoninluv I only grasp that paper at a pretty coarse level, but this is fascinating stuff. Really amazing that there are measurable changes in the brain post-actute psilocybin treatment. The fact that this can be detected in brain imaging points out that seemingly subtle subjective experiences can have physical correlates. 

This idea of psilocybin triggering a DMN reset is very attractive. It certainly feels like that when you take psychedelics.

vmPFC-ilPC RSFC (ventromedial prefrontal cortex inferior lateral parietal cortex resting state functional connectivity, to the layman) does my head in lol. I'm glad you wrote your interpretation of the paper above, it helped me gather meaning from the read :D

Really cool that this got published in Nature. It's also really cool that psilocybin can be effective in treating depression, it brings me joy that we live in a time when this is starting to be explored (again).

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

On 20/02/2019 at 6:40 AM, Enlightenment said:

Ability to perfectly concentrate for 1h+ on any object in consciousness you choose, with no dullness/very high alertness, effortlessly

this is concentration , not meditation 

@tecladocasio

42 minutes ago, tecladocasio said:

this is concentration , not meditation 

There are many definitions and meanings attached to the word meditation. Out of many different meditation techniques, this is actually the most popular, the hardest to master, the one that has the biggest impact on someones positive changes in the brain, the one that most conscious people on this planet have mastered, and the only one that leads to Nibbana.

On the list of techniques commonly called meditation, this one is actually the most fundamental meditation technique.

And concentration may be not the best word for it, because it's a training of both attention and awareness. In fact, it's impossible to achieve fully stable attention without greatly developed awareness and vice versa. 

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

@outlandish If you enjoyed that, check out this recent Cell paper on the effect of psychedelics on neurogenesis in cell culture. DMT and LSD are potent simulators of neural growth and neural plasticity (the ability to form new neural synapses and strengthen synapses). In particular, check out figs. 1A,B and 2A, I. Psychedelics are as potent as our own endogenous neurotrophic factor, BDNF. Dramatic and exciting stuff.

https://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdf/S2211-1247(18)30755-1.pdf

@Serotoninluv wow thank you for sharing that. I have so many comments/thoughts, but for now simply thanks!

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.