Eric Tarpall

Is it possible to do things you don't want to do?

9 posts in this topic

I know this is kind of a weird question but hear me out. Before you do something you have to make the decision to do it. And it wouldn't make sense if you decide to do something that doesn't benefit you. For example eating glass shards. No one does that. Every decision you make, you make because you think it benefits you. So you want to do things that you decide to do but you might not always like the pain that comes with it. 

Black is white. Down is up. Bad is good. -Eric Tarpall

Good question!

It points to how we are often split against ourselves.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

If you do it for a greater cause. Nobody wants to shave his head but some people do in cancer campaigns. Nobody likes the pain of acupuncture or a tattoo but do it for the final result.

Yes it's possible I don't like to use the vacuum cleaner but I do it anyway because I have to.

Check out david goggins or john sonmez from bulldog mindset on youtube they do a lot of things they think sucks.

This was nothing compared to what david goggins did.

Edited by BjarkeT

1 hour ago, BjarkeT said:

I don't like to use the vacuum cleaner but I do it anyway because I have to.

But you still want to do it because you want the result right?  A clean floor. And goggins wants to do those things because it makes him proud & strong.

Edited by Eric Tarpall

I agree with a title. But your explanation is not a 100% solid :D

Edited by Salvijus

8 minutes ago, Salvijus said:

I agree with a title. But your explanation is not a 100% solid :D

There's better ways to articulate this idea. But my mind is not working optimally right now. 

@Eric Tarpall  No not really. My mom want the results more than I do and I don't think you want to run with broken ribs. 

Sometimes I am really unmotivated to do something and don't want to do it at all but i do it anyway because otherwise it doesn't get done.

I don't think david goggins do it to be proud. But he does it to strength he's mind and I have heard he says there is greatness on the other said of suffering he even mention peace sometimes.

Haven't you had to eat broccoli before because your parent told you to do it but you didn't want to but had to do it anyway and then did it?

I know i have

Today i had to use the vacuum cleaner twice because i didn't do it probably the first time and I didn't even want to do it the first time but i did it anyway because i had to do it.

I also play the piano but I don't like to perform for other people because of my social anxiety but I have done that too because I sometimes was "forced" to do it.

Also check out hell week from the navy seal. 

Edited by BjarkeT

I wouldn't say its impossible but you likely would never do it.

Everything you do is meant to accomplish some kind of purpose. Even if its doing the dishes you hate so much so your parents won't nag you to do it.

What you do outlines your priorities.

You'd only eat a glass of shards if there was some kind of benefit whether thats winning a dare, getting attention, or getting money.

Thats why so many successful people say if you want to be successful you have to REALLY want it. Not just half ass want it. People can put hundreds of hours to be good into a video game, but imagine if all that motivation went into being successful?