Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lmfao

Can people through sheer mindfulness alone be unaffected psychologically by weather?

5 posts in this topic

By weather, I mean basically just mean temperature. I'm always bothered whether a room is too cold or hot. A few weeks ago my heating was broke and I was wearing 5 layers and was still freezing and bothered by the whole thing. My heating is fixed now, but I remember being extremely bothered by the weather. I'm not sure whether its worth it for me to constantly intentionally exposing myself to cold weather. A great deal of the suffering that I was feeling in cold weather was due to me just not accepting the situation, and trying to force both my mind and environment to be different. Thats easier said than done though. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

@lmfao the Wim Hoff method helps a lot! You're never cold when the cold is your teacher :)

"The greatest illusion of all is the illusion of separation." - Guru Pathik

Sent from my iEgo

From my experience yes. Dont get me wrong tho if it gets to cold i will start to feel bother by it. My mindfulness could still do a lot of improving. 

Edited by Rinne

I’ve found deep relaxation and body awareness to be helpful. The other night, my body was shivering during Yin Yoga. The mind body was able to relax and transform the unpleasant shivering energy and tension to a neutral energy, which later dissolved. 

Yet my house temperature was within a normal range. I prolly couldn’t do it if I was laying in my underwear outside in a pile of snow. 

Leo made a great video on relaxation and mind-body awareness a few months ago -which I found helpful in exploring this realm.

@TheAvatarState thanks for the tip

28 minutes ago, Rinne said:

My mindfulness could still do a lot of improving. 

same

@Serotoninluv Yeah, manipulating the temperature around you can have the same control over you as manipulating what you can eat or drink. If you're deprived of water or food or are put in very extreme temperatures you'll suffer unless you are a buddha. Of course most of us dont find ourselves in those sort of extreme conditions.

Yeah as for body awareness it seems I'm constantly straining some muscles in my body unconsciously. I'm always straining muscles in my face, stomach and legs.  What applies to mindfulness in general applies to this situation. What prevents me from getting "better" is that I do not accept my unwillingness to accept the present moment. If my mind goes crazy with monkey mind I'll get annoyed about the fact that theres monkey mind instead of just being fine with there being monkey mind. I never would have started formal meditation rituals if I wasn't trying to escape anything yet it is my desire to escape something that holds me back. It's the double bind thats always there. How do you stop desire if you desire to stop desire? But once you "make it" past the double bind (even if its temporary) there are no words to say about the whole thing. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.