The Don

Contemplating Your Own Death

61 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, The Don said:

Awareness is the most precious thing in the world; and it's temporary so when it goes away, nobody talks about a damn thing.

Picture yourself in a deep dreamless sleep. It's non-awareness. No sound. No colors. Not even a 'nothing'.

@The Don Here is something to go with that. The guy is a little corky so just take the finer points he makes.

@The Don Do you ever get a gut feeling that some aspect of you has always been here?

We're not only this world of "things"  that are percieved through a physical body for a short period of time but we are also the space between all things.

Just gaze around the room your sitting in now. Allow awareness to expand so that it becomes all encompassing.. If you contemplate that you may get a taste of your infinite presents beyond matter. So no worries.  Put your right arm out to the side. It's right there. And there. And there. And over there too. That's you! It's always been you.:)

25 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

Do you ever get a gut feeling that some aspect of you has always been here?

:)

1 hour ago, cetus56 said:

@The Don Do you ever get a gut feeling that some aspect of you has always been here?

I member when I was a child, that everything was magic, but more than that, there was a connection to a divine dimension.

Nowadays I just feel dead compared to that.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

On 2/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, The Don said:

From time to time, I believe it's useful to contemplate our own death. Life is extremely short if we truly realize it.

@The Don big time...the more I delve into consciousness the more I realise how time is an illusion. Definitely grasping the magic of the "now" is important... especially with regards with building motivation for things like meditation and regular self enquiry. The more I understand reality experientially, the more I see how incredible my existence right NOW is. It's something like.

Is writing a good way to contemplate things?

I've never liked writing notes on things...my philosophy [with writing things down] is, if it's important enough I'll remember it. I trust my subconscious and conscious mind, they are very very powerful and I think academia definitely has it's limitations. Creativity and the ability to use your own intellect are, in my opinion, far superior methods of education than the likes of memorisation etc. However, I don't see anything wrong with writing it down. Leo says it helps you focus.

Jordan Peterson said that writing is formalized thinking and there is no difference between thinking and writing.

Well...yeah I'd say that's accurate like

Right now I'm doing my best to cure myself from the dreadful neurosis that I have.

I definitely have a form of neurosis...tendencies that flow similar to hypochondria. Minor mental illness. However, it seems as though this kind of "illness" is closely linked to a high level of natural, intellectual, intelligence that has not been learned in a classroom. Look at the great minds the past...a lot of them were a bit.....mentally strange. 

I do want to say one thing though, from what I have seen in my own experience you cannot cure this kind of thing. I find that because neurosis *IS* the mind...trying to use the mind to stop it would be like trying to stop a car by pushing the accelerator harder. I have tried many many ways to stop it, and i can't. The best thing you can do is learn how to really let go at a very deep level. Neurosis is the controlling of a situation... overthinking, control control control. Letting go of control is the only way trust me.

P.S.S: I meditate every single day for 30 minutes.

Self enquiry is more powerful than meditation. Make sure you do it

I hope I get a really long long life so that when I've been meditating hard with 3 sits a day and phychdelic retreats and constant mindfulness practise for 50 years I'll be one heavily enlightened boi

#Letstrythe5meo

17 minutes ago, Shin said:

I member when I was a child, that everything was magic, but more than that, there was a connection to a divine dimension.

I remember quite well those moments of clarity and connectedness as a child. That is the driving force behind this journey now. To re-discover that part of me that got lost along the way.

14 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

I remember quite well those moments of clarity and connectedness as a child. That is the driving force behind this journey now. To re-discover that part of me that got lost along the way.

I thought you were already dead ? B|

God is love

And God in them

14 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

Lost in translation/interpretation ?

Thank you guys for the answers.

I'm struggling to destroy my EGO once and for all, to escape the fear of death; it's so difficult.

But maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Can I get enlightened through self-enquiry? Is it possible?

And remember, without life there is no awareness. Without awareness, consciousness can't be perceived.

Me on the road less traveled.

4 minutes ago, The Don said:

Can I get enlightened through self-enquiry? Is it possible?

I've found self-enquiry to be helpful when my mind can relax into a quiet state and insights can arise. If I ask a question like "What is Genuine?" and my mind starts conceptualizing and trying to figure it out - I will halt the enquiry.

@The Don  Why wait till the body is falling away to say to yourself "Oh. I See Everything Clearly Now".

2 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@The Don  Why wait till the body is falling away to say to yourself "Oh. I See Everything Clearly Now".

In order to see everything clearly, I have to do a lot of work and that wouldn't be a problem.

I just don't wanna do self-enquiry wrong.

And I want to know that EGO death is possible to really get the motivation to do the work that leads to enlightenment.

16 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@The Don  Why wait till the body is falling away to say to yourself "Oh. I See Everything Clearly Now".

?

12 minutes ago, The Don said:

And I want to know that EGO death is possible to really get the motivation to do the work that leads to enlightenment.

Ego loves motivation and determining/concluding whether something is possible or not before acting. :)

Edited by Jack River

From the body/mind point of view “it” will only act when the possibility is already fixed in a preferred way. 

Ego works within its own fixed limits. 

Edited by Jack River

14 minutes ago, The Don said:

What's stopping you from having a direct experience of ego death right now?  

14 minutes ago, The Don said:

I just don't wanna do self-enquiry wrong.

If you feel your self-enquiry is seriously fucking with your ego your doing it right.

4 minutes ago, Jack River said:

You gotta go straight at the very foundation of the ego otherwise your just pussy footing around.

8 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

What's stopping you from having a direct experience of ego death right now?  

If you feel your self-enquiry is seriously fucking with your ego your doing it right.

Nothing.

I didn't do much of self-enquiry but I plan to do it. On a daily basis.

9 minutes ago, Jack River said:

From the body/mind point of view “it” will only act when the possibility is already fixed in a preferred way. 

Then I need to realize that EGO is just a trap.

I think I'll do the most counterintuitive thing ever,
I'll let myself die nstead of waiting years to be tired of pushing it away.

!!!

God is love

And God in them

Just now, The Don said:

didn't do much of self-enquiry but I plan to do it. On a daily basis.

Pacing yourself are you?