Jack Walter Leon

free will vs no free will

26 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, PetarKa said:

Saying free will is an illusion doesn't contain any meaning when I hear it (assuming one is not enlightened). Because when you hear that free will is an illusion, you still will be in a situation to make decisions, free will or no free will.

"Free will is an illusion." is like saying "That which you will do, you will do."

Compare that to the following absurd sentence:

"That which is red, is red."

It maybe easier to look at it from a negative, so I could ask you 'what does a completely free choice look like?'

40 minutes ago, Consept said:

It maybe easier to look at it from a negative, so I could ask you 'what does a completely free choice look like?'

What do you mean by negative?

In my mind, talking about free choice leads nowhere. It's like an empty statement.

What does free choice even mean? I've contemplated this and found that it's a meaningless play on words.

26 minutes ago, PetarKa said:

What do you mean by negative?

In my mind, talking about free choice leads nowhere. It's like an empty statement.

What does free choice even mean? I've contemplated this and found that it's a meaningless play on words.

Yeah i pretty much agree. What people mean by free choice is, 'i make choices on my own and independent of anything else'. But as you allude to it is impossible to make a completely independent choice and thats without getting into the whole 'who is making the choice' stuff. Essentially free will is a concept which doesnt really hold up under investigation or contemplation  

Edited by Consept

Can you stop your mind and just be, without putting any concepts of what is happening, now when you go back into mind can you see how mind makes concepts of what is happening trough awareness, or putting awareness to certain thing you are doing and making concepts out of it, oo I am looking there and thinking, oo I am looking and this, this is this shape and that shape, now go back to being without making concepts, are you really thinking when you look certain direction , or it is just happening. 

I think it will be good enough introduction into how to explore this. 

as synchornicity goes this relates exactly to what i just posted about "being aware of being aware"

On 2/2/2019 at 5:47 PM, Jack Walter Leon said:

Do you believe in free will? 

Don't you believe in free will?

Can anyone convince me whether free will is real or illusory?

I’ve firmly believed in both camps for various reasons at different points in life. Now I can see the truth may be neither.