alankrillin

Sadhguru on 50% suicide, nihilism, and self-help.

11 posts in this topic

What you guys think?

I find that a lot people on self help forums like these are usually nihilistic and depressed so it rings true when sadhguru labels selfhelp in the following video.  Of course each individual is different, but patterns do emerge. 

'They' will not commit suicide. The universe will remove them as they continue to choose to remain unconscious. Unconscious beings should be avoided.

suicide-2nd-leading-cause-death-us-teens

Suicide is rising in young adults it has become 2nd for cause of death. 

That's sad, we're obviously not heading in a direction that makes us value life. 

https://www.prb.org/suicide-replaces-homicide-second-leading-cause-death-among-us-teens/

Interestingly it's fallen in Europe so maybe that's because Europe is becoming more stage green. 

But still 2nd most of death in across  the world for young adults. 

https://www.who.int/mental_health/prevention/suicide/suicideprevent/en/

Mind boggling how death by choice is 2nd.

Edited by alankrillin

I hear from different places that so and so many people are commiting suicide like its a epedemic. Truth is when I look for stats how many %  it seems it stays the same. So more ppl commit suicide cause we are more people on the planet. Just simple scare tactics. Thing is it´s hard to find good stats cause bad quality stats sells more ie, stats made and twisted to prove a point.
If Sadguru was right, shouldnt we see a significant % increase?

There is a saying here in sweden:
"There are lies, there are damned lies and there is statistics"

In a similar way people like to shout out how fucked the world is when in fact % wise there have never been so few war, so little starvation as we have now.

@alankrillin stats above is a perfect example. The big thing to report  is that death by accidents have almost halved the last 15 years.
Instead they focus on that suicide has become the second most common reason. Its only gone up from 8 to 8.7 thats nothing! If you look att the graph below you will see in the 1990 it was 11. But they cut at the lowerst time, in 99 to dramtize the effect. This is all to scare people. Reports such as these dont care about truth, only to produce "clickbate" news to get money and in doing so spread fear cause that seems to drive people. Sigh I get kinda worked up about stuff like this.

If you´re interested read about a wonderful swedish guy: hans rosling :)

This shows the trickery of the above post and also that sadguru is wrong: % wise there is no big increase in suicide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_suicide#/media/File:Suicide-deaths-per-100000-trend.jpg

Edited by luckieluuke

2 hours ago, luckieluuke said:

I hear from different places that so and so many people are commiting suicide like its a epedemic. Truth is when I look for stats how many %  it seems it stays the same. So more ppl commit suicide cause we are more people on the planet. Just simple scare tactics. Thing is it´s hard to find good stats cause bad quality stats sells more ie, stats made and twisted to prove a point.
If Sadguru was right, shouldnt we see a significant % increase?

There is a saying here in sweden:
"There are lies, there are damned lies and there is statistics"

In a similar way people like to shout out how fucked the world is when in fact % wise there have never been so few war, so little starvation as we have now.

@alankrillin stats above is a perfect example. The big thing to report  is that death by accidents have almost halved the last 15 years.
Instead they focus on that suicide has become the second most common reason. Its only gone up from 8 to 8.7 thats nothing! If you look att the graph below you will see in the 1990 it was 11. But they cut at the lowerst time, in 99 to dramtize the effect. This is all to scare people. Reports such as these dont care about truth, only to produce "clickbate" news to get money and in doing so spread fear cause that seems to drive people. Sigh I get kinda worked up about stuff like this.

If you´re interested read about a wonderful swedish guy: hans rosling :)

This shows the trickery of the above post and also that sadguru is wrong: % wise there is no big increase in suicide.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology_of_suicide#/media/File:Suicide-deaths-per-100000-trend.jpg

But you see accidents have gone down by a lot, it should also increase with population and more cars on the road. 

Homicide has gone down which should increase with population. 

But the fact that suicide has gone up as opposed to down when we live in the best era of comfort in our evolutionary timeline,  you should also take that into account. 

I don't think it's a scare tactic, there is no money to be made here. The people who warn us about suicide are the same people who say the matrix system of society isn't working,  that we should stay away from social media, away from cubicle jobs, and use technology very carefully as it creates a lot unfulfilment. 

Unemployment/automation increase can be great, more time for community gathering, playing games, study, nature, abundant housing, spiritual exploration etc.

But it's pretty important we learn to implement and see the sense in a basic income

IuBg3es.jpg

Yeah because if you dont take action on whats being said you will only feel worse not better...

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.

4 hours ago, alankrillin said:

But you see accidents have gone down by a lot, it should also increase with population and more cars on the road. 

Homicide has gone down which should increase with population. 

Why homocide should increase with population? It makes no sense, it's deaths per 100,000, I don't think you read the graph corectly.

@alankrillin This is very simple: If you have 100 people an 1 commit suicide (or crash their cars as you commented) its 1% If you have 200 people and 2 commit suicide/crash its still 1% So nothing has changed in the culture or anything to affect the rate of suicide/car incidents. The only difference is the amount of people. 
So if you are a newspaper, or a source that sells news to newspaper you might say the the amount of suicide has doubled. People will read that headline and hence you get money, people wont read it if it says the rate of suicide is % the same. Their story is not a lie, its not even a damned lie, its statistics and with it you can tell any story youd like to manipulate.

3 hours ago, luckieluuke said:

@alankrillin This is very simple: If you have 100 people an 1 commit suicide (or crash their cars as you commented) its 1% If you have 200 people and 2 commit suicide/crash its still 1% So nothing has changed in the culture or anything to affect the rate of suicide/car incidents. The only difference is the amount of people. 
So if you are a newspaper, or a source that sells news to newspaper you might say the the amount of suicide has doubled. People will read that headline and hence you get money, people wont read it if it says the rate of suicide is % the same. Their story is not a lie, its not even a damned lie, its statistics and with it you can tell any story youd like to manipulate.

14 hours ago, wavydude said:

Why homocide should increase with population? It makes no sense, it's deaths per 100,000, I don't think you read the graph corectly.

As wavy pointed out it is a 100,000 population survey (but increase in population and the problems of it can still affect the numbers which I won't go into here). 

I think you're stuck in your "suicide is a conspiracy idea for fake news"

My point is,  as population increases all death tolls in all areas will increase not just suicide. So I understand what you're saying,  it's not rocket science. I already knew what you meant and know that 1/100 and 2/200 is the same odds. 

Forget the graph for a second and read the article from the world organisation I linked.  It is still the 2nd most caused death between 15-29 year olds across the world.  Second to accident.

In the most comfortable era with technology. 

So regardless of 1/100 or 2/200 the overall ratio of suicide should have gone down as the world improved, there is definitely a lack of fulfillment like Sadhguru was mentioning.

Edited by alankrillin