Lynnel

Does believing something make it true and do affirmations work ?

8 posts in this topic

I've recently been reading the book "what to say when you talk to yourself" and came to understand that there is indeed a lot of bad conditionning I need to get rid of and using self-talk (=affirmations) might be a great tool.

I have one issue though : I feel like it's not because you believe in something that it will actually make it true. I mean you're not gonna get rich just because you're saying to yourself "I'm rich" every morning. In the same way you're not gonna achieve any impossible things or that won't influence your "objective" reality just because you're saying affirmations.

So they're done mostly to remove negative conditionning which will allow you to actually achieve those things in the world ? I kinda can't pin point my doubt actually.

I feel like I understand that programming created beliefs then attitudes and then emotions and then behaviour and how you act in the world influences it. At the same time I'm doubtful that actually programming your mind in that way will ALLOW you to succeed in the world just by itself, I mean basically it's like fixing the software so it can finally let the hardware do it's job ?

Do affirmations have any influence in the grand scheme of things ? Couldn't you just act and do and let that change your beliefs ?

Also, I feel like sometimes you need to accept painful realities and you're gonna have "negative" thoughts to some extent.

In short, my biggest objection is : won't just changing your beliefs and believing in something make you completely out of touch with reality instead of making you take action, especially if the affirmation feels like it's false compared to your objective reality ?

(I can grasp that there is no "objective" reality in short)

What am I understanding and not understanding correctly here ? Thanks guys ;) 

EDIT : TLDR Questions ;

1) Are affirmation a useful/powerful self-development tool or not ?

2) Will making affirmation that run against my beliefs (and experience) make me neurotic instead of changing my beliefs ?

3) What is the best way to make affirmations yourself => what is the best way to use affirmations ?

4) What are some good ressources to read on affirmations ?

Edited by Lynnel

@Lynnel this topic is too complex and i don't know how to answer all those questions at once. sorry.

can you wrap it up in one question? i'm asking you this because it's as complex as important and i think it will be easier for you to get help that way.

unborn Truth

@ajasatya

Yes sure thanks for the suggestion !

In short :

1) Are affirmation a useful/powerful self-development tool or not ?

2) Will making affirmation that run against my beliefs (and experience) make me neurotic instead of changing my beliefs ?

Yes, they do work, I am experimenting with affirmations and visualizations the last month and seeing awesome results, can't wait to see the long term results!

The secret is feeling and repeat the shit out of them! Consistency is key, do them as often as possible, the results will accumulate and at some point the programs will become automatic, this is really fun and exciting, you can literally program yourself and "your reality". Law of Attraction do work. 

Expect resistance, your ego will pull out all kinds of weird shit and tricks in order for you to stop the process, just keep fucking going. 

Edited by Recursoinominado

@Lynnel affirmations/visualizations are useful to reshape the mental self-image. it can help you ditch vices and build new habits. it's not that helpful for realizing True Nature, though.

i used it to change the way i felt about Life. i didn't say "i am rich". i said "i feel rich right now". it's a very different approach.

unborn Truth

Your strongest belief systems shape the reality you experience.

B R E A T H E

Yes they do work!! But are u willing to invest the time, energy, get through ego backlashes, doubt etc... your subconscious will resist no doubt. (Its like building  new a habit) 

Experiment and see for yourself. Dont believe anyone until u have tested yourself.

As for seeking/finding the truth, i think affirmations/visualisations are merely a catalyst towards that end. 

Affirmations are all about reprogramming the subconscious through repetition. One of the primary ways it learns