VioletFlame

Spiral Dynamics & Generational Differences

11 posts in this topic

So before I joyfully discovered Spiral Dynamics through Leo, I was super into studying/reading about generational evolution and the unique psychological aspects of each generation as a collective to better understand human communication/behavior and social phenomena, etc that occurs on a daily basis.

I wondered how valuable and effective it could possibly be to apply Spiral Dynamics to generations, since each generation is always evolving, it seemed like it made total sense, so I tried researching on the link between the two, and came across this wicked cool chart that seems quite similar to the spiral in many ways. I don't know if I'm right or wrong here but it seems valid and this was very intriguing to come across! I really felt like I should post this and share this with everyone, it seems super useful and some of it is pretty amusing as well. Would love to hear your thoughts!

http://www.wmfc.org/uploads/GenerationalDifferencesChart.pdf

I'm no expert in this, but it seems as though the Traditionalists are clearly as Blue as a classic blue sky. Baby Boomers, quite Orange and some Green when we think about the counterculture of the 60s and hippies but it still seems mainly Orange. Gen-X still had a good chunk of Orange but plenty of Green and maybe even a shimmer of Yellow perhaps? Millennials are quite Orange, when we think of attachment to digital media, materialistic temptation, succumbing to advertisements, etc...but there are also many Green millennials, many pseudo-Green ones out there as well, which must be acknowledged.

I hope this is somewhat helpful or fascinating for some of you!

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

I have been thinking about this same topic for a while now, since the recent advanced SD videos from Leo.

I'm from Italy. From my own experience my grandparents (born '20s / 30s) have had their own culture war, which was all about Italian Fascism VS Italian Communism. Which is clearly a whole blue culture war. Americans freed italy from the nazi-fasci invasion with the help of the communists, and in the depressing and starving '50s italy was all about anti-fascist propaganda and stage orange started to gain huge power from the IMMENSE admiration that italians had at the time for americans and business.

My parents' generation ('60s) are all about keeping tradition and religion to the core but maximizing profits and comfort for the benefit of the whole family. Which is definitely a stage blue belief mixed with some orange traits. Communism in these years (50-60s) was very strongly reacting against orange and trying to associate it with fascism (which is such a stupid retarded association!). 

Gen X here are definitely blue-orange here or even mainly blue. I'm not expert abou it.

My generation, early millennials, was raised with a strong blue core and some inspirational values from orange, like hard work, resiliance, and passion for you job. But it STILL serves the purposes of blue of serving the family and the nation.

Almost all of my millennial friends are just like me, they rejected the stage blue core beliefs and tend to be all atheists or agnostic, and to gravitate towards a solid orange mentality. Some have a 20% of green. 

I also have some friends, especially girls I have seen in dates and parties, that are Gen Z, and they have a very strong foundation in stage orange, which is something that shocks me a bit because I have fought so hard in my teenage years to react against blue and estabilish myself in orange xDxD they have it for free LOL. But they seem oblivious to the growth that you can get from just moving up a stage. They tend to keep themselves in orange with trap music and all that BS.

But definitely being instantly implanted with full orange values is GOOD! Because you already have a strong individualistic foundation to move up the spyral without thinking about morals and all that crap LOL. I'm optimistic about this spiral progression.

Edited by billiesimon

Inquire in the now.

Feeling is the truest knowing ?️

Yes, there definitely are generational differences as each generation of humans gets indoctrinated into newer, more advanced cultural ways of thinking.

It's almost like with smartphones. Each new generation of smartphones comes with new, more advanced software. It is hard to install the latest software on old hardware, mostly due to rigidity of the mind.

I'll have a video on this topic in the future.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Yes, there definitely are generational differences as each generation of humans gets indoctrinated into newer, more advanced cultural ways of thinking.

It's almost like with smartphones. Each new generation of smartphones comes with new, more advanced software. It is hard to install the latest software on old hardware, mostly due to rigidity of the mind.

I'll have a video on this topic in the future.

Is this always true?  Can war/disease or some other factors cause regression?

Cant wait for the video btw

Comprehensive list of techniques: https://sites.google.com/site/psychospiritualtools/Home/meditation-practices

I appreciate criticism!  Be as critical/nitpicky as you like and don't hold your blows

@zambize It's an average sociological trend. There are of course many individual exceptions. So don't stereotype people too much.

The main reason it's true is because as the infrastructure of society evolves lower survival needs becomes easier and easier to satisfy to the point where you don't need to even think about them. Older generations had to worry about a neighboring tribe raping and pillaging their village. Modern generations don't have this worry because government infrastructure (like the modern court and police system) has been built to prevent that.

Your value system reflects the environment you're trying to survive in. As the environment evolves, so must your values, beliefs, and worldview if you wish to be effective at survival.

A slave owner would not be able to survival for long in today's environment. But 500 years ago it was almost the opposite. Owning slaves raised your survival. Because the environment was so different. Humans have changed their environment so much that slavery became counter-productive. Which is why today slavery is no longer considered acceptable.

The moral of the story is: your values are totally contingent on your survival needs, which change constantly as evolution progresses. And the rate of progress is accelerating. So newer generations are more different than they were in the past.

@Leo Gura Do you think those existing systems are working against moving up the Spiral? And why its harder for older generation or people in lower tiers to move up to Green?

I use to think that having PETA or Green organisations and Green systems would automatically enhance the rest of the tier to move up (kind of learn by example). But not only this is not the case, people form counter movements too.

3 hours ago, Wyze said:

Do you think those existing systems are working against moving up the Spiral? And why its harder for older generation or people in lower tiers to move up to Green?

The older generations are not staying still. They too are evolving. Just not as fast as you whippersnappers would like.

Like I said, it's due to the rigidity of the mind. The mind is resistant to change. It's a fundamental survival mechanic.

@Leo GuraWell both my parents are in their early 60s now and my father especially is excessively fearful and paranoid over potential calamities, especially over things such as "terrorist threats or attacks" for example. For him, to feel protected and to defend this country is absolutely imperative in order to feel alive. In order to feel safe, secure, luxuriated, relieved and continuously unwilling to adapt to change, to the irrevocable wheel of life. Oblivious to the rest of the world, just stuck in a monochrome box, immobile and unaware that once one deeply accepts any possibility, stab in the dark, or potential circumstance, they are finally free..from all fear and free from all terror.

He repeatedly falls into "panic mode" and stresses out over "what could come" which almost makes me believe he is unconsciously manifesting more turmoil, fear and internal captivation and jeopardy than he realizes. Among several Boomers throughout my life, I've witnessed this neurotic behavior and this sort of clinging to catastrophic entertainment, almost as if they get off (release endorphins/boost adrenaline) from hearing negative news. Not to judge, criticize, or generalize, but simply a pattern I've noticed which I could not ignore.

I suspect a lot of this has to do with growing up during the Vietnam War...where suddenly War and trauma became normalized and advertised as part of life, experiencing spontaneous evacuations in schools due to massive race riots in the late 60s...assassinations of idealized leaders and so much more which caused them to always "look out" and feel the need to defend themselves, their country, their family, their pack, their tribe, their land, etc...and have startling panicking reactions, even over small, minor, petty things.

One of the biggest patterns I've noticed was that they seem to have a difficult time embracing or allowing change. But of course anyone from any generation has this issue. But everything's always evolving whether people like it or not, hehe.

Evolution is only a part of nature and it's how we adapt which allows us to learn and ultimately propel forward and live, rather than just survive.

Can one truly live or survive if they are resisting to change all the time? I feel as though any sort of resistance is stagnation, is stifling, is pressure, and like anything else, eventually the truth is going to collapse and unfold and hit them like a ton of bricks. I often ponder how it would not be an easy sight to see a rigid loved one have a life-altering realization or existential crisis in which they may not be ready for, because it can be almost traumatizing I think, if one is not mentally/emotionally equipped for such a change.

But sometimes I think a massive realization must hit us at the most inopportune time in our lives when we are least ready to face it, when we are least ready to change, in order for us to grow, bloom and thrive, with no struggle, but with only surrender, in order for metamorphosis to finally occur.

Edited by VioletFlame

"Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand." --Patti Smith

"Lately, I find myself out gazing at stars, hearing guitars...Like Someone In Love" 

@VioletFlame Examine your own resistance to change and you will have your answer.

Change = death

@Leo Gura But with death comes newly welcomed life and new beginnings; transformation.

If one refuses to change, won't they remain fetal, shrivel, and struggle to live whether they're conscious of it or not? Practicing non-resistance is a useful way to prepare for death, and change. The belief of things being permanent shuts out the possibility of any change.

Learning to let go (give death) to certain things in life that are only stagnating us, thus holding us back from change, will bring life to change.

Redundancy and resorting to remedies to mask our fear of impermanence is preventing death of the old and in with the new; resisting change and progress.

We must embody the seasons and all of its colors, such as Autumn, and be the leaves.

But the thing is, there is fake death and there is real death. Make sure that you know the difference. Don't be deceived. Change is good. But make sure that you change for the all worth it. and not the opposite of it. 

Make sure that you're experiencing real non duality. And not the fake non duality. It might seems similar. But actually the opposite. Thinking that you've found the real Light, when in fact you're in the deepest Darkness. Duality? haha.