Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ElenaO

Colds that span for weeks

22 posts in this topic

Maybe some of you have faced this and found a solution. For the least few years I've noticed a perpetuating pattern of getting frequent colds. Sometimes they would start as some minor virus infection and then last for a rather long time morphing from a small sore throat or just feeling sick to a full blown cold. 

I'm staying home because of one right now. I fell sick a few weeks ago (2.5-3 weeks ago). It all started with just general feeling of not feeling well. There was nothing else besides that. Since then I've had days when I feel better and days when I feel worse. Right now I have a more evident cold, with sore throat and headache.

It just seems that in my case the infection is kind of dormant kind of alive when I get sick. I wonder if any of you had something similar and have you found any solution?

PS I eat healthy most of the time (95%) , do yoga, no drinking, no smoking and have a generally healthy lifestyle. 

7 minutes ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@ElenaO Poor thing.. hope you feel better!

Try some Indian Chai tea :)

Ginger, cardamoms, and the other herbs should fix you right up!

I've been drinking on average 2 cups a day for as long as i can remember ^_^

No caffeine crash either 9_9

Sounds good, thanks for suggestion. Great, I actually prefer decaffeinated teas. Can I get it from a regular store or where do you usually get it?

25 minutes ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@ElenaO

Add the milk after the water boils* :x

let me know how you like it!!!

Thanks Sahil for your tip!

I am also looking for a more holistic solution. I'm trying to see why are these colds lasting for that long.

26 minutes ago, Sahil Pandit said:

@ElenaO Ooo not quite sure on that one..

Hopefully the ginger in the tea serves as a preventative measure next time!

Yes, I've heard of the benefits of ginger. You are right. However, I notice that these are minor contributors. I am wondering what are the root causes of these colds :S 

I drew a diagram for the reasons/characteristics of my colds. 

Screenshot 2019-01-04 at 18.56.08.png

@ElenaO this may be kinda silly question but are you eating enough protein-rich foods? Are you getting 1.2g/kg of bodyweight? Often people largely undereat this. 

This is important because your body needs amino acids to create immunoglobulins to mediate an immune response.( IgA, IgE, IgM, IgD and IgG) Also your white blood cells, the tiny warriors of your immune system are largely made of protein. Your main antioxidant in the body called glutathione is very dependant on a combination of several amino acids, this helps in immune response and detoxification as well. 

At the same time boosting your zinc (supplement for a short time if necessary) and dietary antioxidants (vit C, vit E) by eating a lot of fruits and berries may definitelly help. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Thanks @Michael569! I do eat enough protein. In fact, I believe I used to overeat it. I get it mostly from the animal products. Thanks for posting that fact, it's enlightening.

@ElenaO in that case perhaps you need a bit of a nutrient boost as cold can drain your nutrients very very fast especially the ones I mentioned above. Getting something like a complex dose of all micros in a powder for couple days could be a good idea. I am not a fan of this being long term solution but these can definitelly push you a step above especially if some key nutrients are low. Not sure where you are based but there is a good variety on market in most countries. 

And ofcourse blending your daily smoothies is an excelent way to boost an antioxidant defence. Chug 100g of bluberries with some flaxseeds and 50g of greens and some other goodies and you will get a very decent dose of immune support :) 

Edited by Michael569

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Thanks for advices Michael! By powders you mean spirulina, chlorella, etc? I live in the USA, Seattle so there is tons of supplements here. 

On 10/01/2019 at 8:21 AM, ajasatya said:

@ElenaO how are you emotionally?

Well I've always had the same issues in regards to emotions. I've had some stress recently because of the changes in my life, but then again I doubt it's really related. I've been sick last year even more but wasn't as stressed.

On 10/01/2019 at 10:01 AM, Toby said:

Maybe Manuka Honey could help?

I  wonder if it would. I've heard about it, but not sure if it's just another marketing trick. I guess I will have to try to know.

@ElenaOYour immune system is weakened because your nutrition is probably missing important micronutrients, therefore you are more susceptible for bacteries and viruses. Because you miss these micronutrients your metabolism is disturbed, which is the cause of a weakened immune system. I opened a topic on a holistic view on nutrition and will explain which (natural) nutrition your body needs to sustain a fully functioning metabolism.

Edited by Emanyalpsid

On 12/01/2019 at 4:25 AM, ajasatya said:

@ElenaO i've been practing the wim hof method. it feels GREAT.

I shall try it. I guess you mean breathing technique?

On 12/01/2019 at 6:02 AM, Emanyalpsid said:

@ElenaOYour immune system is weakened because your nutrition is probably missing important micronutrients, therefore you are more susceptible for bacteries and viruses. Because you miss these micronutrients your metabolism is disturbed, which is the cause of a weakened immune system. I opened a topic on a holistic view on nutrition and will explain which (natural) nutrition your body needs to sustain a fully functioning metabolism.

Thing is, I've been eating a lot of vegetables and other good stuff so it shouldn't be the case. It may be they are not absorbed for some reason (which I doubt).

3 hours ago, ElenaO said:

I shall try it. I guess you mean breathing technique?

the breathing technique and gradative exposure to cold showers.

unborn Truth