Can't finish Leo's Life purpose program

40 posts in this topic

I can't finish Leo's life purpose program. I know he talks about it in his first videos but I think I am too scared to go through with the program and come up with some grand life purpose that will give me soooooo much responsibility. I watched half of the videos, got bored (which is strange because I am never bored of his youtube videos) and put it off. Has anyone else struggled with the course?

In the most basic simple way, life purpose involves firstly understanding/realizing who you really are relative to life.  This then leads one to understand in a direct way that one's life purpose is actually being what one is, and doing what one does from the base of authenticity of what one actually is.

The more complex view, which most people think is the simpler view, is that of developing the "person" (persona=mask=actor).  That then means that you accept your identity according to how you shape it, or how your environmental conditioning shapes it in the society of which you are a part.   This actually leads either to a "blown-up" egoic styled life with a matching life-purpose including various desires for monetary wealth, accomplishments and whatever else one deems valuable to define oneself (identity) - or - if one is very attentive to what is going on, one begins to see the traps of egoic thinking, egoic desires and the limitations of various beliefs. 

And then, if one has been attentive to what is really going on (self enquiry), one will find oneself on the road to self-actualization and possibly beyond.

joy :)

Edited by walt

29 minutes ago, Denis said:

I can't finish Leo's life purpose program. I know he talks about it in his first videos but I think I am too scared to go through with the program and come up with some grand life purpose that will give me soooooo much responsibility. I watched half of the videos, got bored (which is strange because I am never bored of his youtube videos) and put it off. Has anyone else struggled with the course?

Is there any way you can be more specific about what you are afraid of?

Denis, can you specify which part of the course you're up to?

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

It's certainly heavy going Denis, but it's definitely not boring! I am currently on video 57, and Leo has actually just talked about this exact problem - thinking the result will be 'some grand life purpose', when actually it can easily just be realising that the thing you would find most fulfilling is something you are already doing.

I did struggle at the start of the values assessment (video 42) with the transition from absorbing theory to having to think pretty deep, but I'm really happy with my values list :D

4 minutes ago, daing said:

Is there any way you can be more specific about what you are afraid of?

^this.

I am afraid that I will need to start thinking how to align my career in order to start helping people since helping people is the necessary component of having a successful career. I only live for myself, you see....

So far, I have finished half of "Core concepts" vidz. I bought the course a few months ago or so. Completely put it off. I really want to skip to exercises but I know I shouldn't. Are the exercises good? :D

6 minutes ago, Ian said:

It's certainly heavy going Denis, but it's definitely not boring! I am currently on video 57, and Leo has actually just talked about this exact problem - thinking the result will be 'some grand life purpose', when actually it can easily just be realising that the thing you would find most fulfilling is something you are already doing.

Thanks, Ian! That's a really good insight

I have not even seen the course material, so I honestly have no idea.  I found this forum through the various YouTube videos, which I have been thoroughly enjoying. 

You might want to step back for a bit, try taking a break, and looking at your situation.  Posting your questions here is probably your best bet.  Also, in all honesty, various meditation practices can be extremely helpful.  Mindfulness, understanding where your emotions are coming from, all of these things, are definitely helpful.

It's just a guide, and it also builds this big picture that he talks about, having finished it, what I can say is it cut out a lot of the guessing games, I now have more practical ideas and a more focused outlook on the direction of my life, it's not waffly anymore like it was, even if you go through this course and all you get is one little piece of information that could make your life better? to me that's worth but I gotta tell you, I got way more than that, it takes a little wisdom to see what this course could snowball into in time. I finished it a little over a month ago and I'm only now starting to see the benefits, and I'm so glad I went through the work and put in my best, it builds my self discipline and makes me realize how much hard work can pay off.

Memento Mori

2 minutes ago, daing said:

You might want to step back for a bit, try taking a break, and looking at your situation.

And here is the opposite point of view, for some healthy balance!

Whilst this process is a marathon rather than a sprint, not facing ones fears and procrastinating the 'most important piece of the puzzle of life' (except for enlightenment) seems like a bad move from my largely uninformed perspective :P
I would suggest you think back to the 10 commitments from the start of the course and honestly ask yourself if you meant them when you made them. I certainly did, because I, like Leo, can see the importance of getting this sorted. If you did, then your next steps should be obvious ;)

27 minutes ago, Denis said:

I am afraid that I will need to start thinking how to align my career in order to start helping people since helping people is the necessary component of having a successful career. I only live for myself, you see....

So far, I have finished half of "Core concepts" vidz. I bought the course a few months ago or so. Completely put it off. I really want to skip to exercises but I know I shouldn't. Are the exercises good? :D

Yeah, don't skip any of the exercises. Do all of them, even if you have to put the course down for another month before continuing. The course is designed in a way so that you do the exercises in order. As someone who completed the course, I can assure you that it's worth it. Plus, I found the values section to be the most tedious. Once you get passed that part, everything becomes easier.

The man who changes the world is the man who changes himself.

So what you've discovered here is the threshold between Zone of Excellence and Zone of Genius. Living inside your Zone of Genius is SCARY! That's why most people don't have a life purpose and never will. This is emotionally challenging stuff. Lots of resistance will come up.

Best thing I can suggest is to just be mindful of the resistance and keep pushing through the course and doing the assignments. Don't worry yet about "But how will I do it? How will I make it all work out in the end?" << Those questions are not as important to answer as you might think. The important thing is to simply get clear about what you want to do with your life. And the assignments will help you do that.

Also realize that this is a long-term journey. You don't need to do it all in one month. You can take a couple of months off and then come back and finish it.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

1 hour ago, Denis said:

Thinking about this a bit more deeply, I can see this as a problem I also share. If you're familiar with the Graves' Model, http://vievolve.com/values-systems-4/ I believe that I have in the last couple of years been moving from stage blue to stage orange. So as I understand the model, I need to live through everything that stage orange can bring me (living somewhat selfishly) before I can start authentically devoting my life purpose to others - stage green.

Would I be onto something in saying that forcing yourself into stage green prematurely is a trap, when creating a life purpose whilst moving from stage blue to stage orange?

Denis, if you deem this too off topic, I'm more than happy to start a new thread :)

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Thinking about this a bit more deeply, I can see this as a problem I also share. If you're familiar with the Graves' Model, http://vievolve.com/values-systems-4/ I believe that I have in the last couple of years been moving from stage blue to stage orange. So as I understand the model, I need to live through everything that stage orange can bring me (living somewhat selfishly) before I can start authentically devoting my life purpose to others - stage green.

Would I be onto something in saying that forcing yourself into stage green prematurely is a trap, when creating a life purpose whilst moving from stage blue to stage orange?

Denis, if you deem this too off topic, I'm more than happy to start a new thread :)

Ian, that's exactly my concern. I haven't experienced stage orange to its fullest and I thought about Graves' Model quite a bit as well. The thing is, if someone enlightened like Alan Watts actually heard of something like a "Model of Human Consciousness", he would shit his pants laughing. He also laughed at self-help, mentioned "How to make friends and influence people". We are not him though (despite him saying that he is us :D. At least I don't quite feel it) so might as well use self-help but I am not even sure whether someone can strategically "construct" a life purpose for himself. Maybe only life experiences and grace can guide you to your life purpose. Not you. When I had my glimpse of enlightenment, I had no idea that enlightenment exists, gave no shits about spirituality or God. Never even thought about it. But the thing just happened because I went through a lot of suffering, accidentally stumbled on Tolle(that same day), fell asleep listening to his speech and BAM!

So, in essence, I don't think people can rationalize their way to their Life Purpose because it is beyond our control. I will finish the program, maybe it will change my mind.

I am also not finished it, and I am also finding it hard to push through because of some fear, I am certain. Yet, I have learned a great deal from it already and I am confident I will make a burst and get it done in the next few weeks or months. 

Maybe I am labouring a bit, but I am also reading around the topic and not feeling rushed. Things in my life are slowly on the upturn in general and I am extremely positive about the progress I have made using the course.

Ok, there´s a tangible reason I am optomistic, I have just realised. Basically, I tend to be the person that gets a course and goes through it before moving onto another one. It is simialr with hobbies or interests. I am a dabbler, in essence. That´s me, 95% of the time. The course has already given me so much and I´m 60% through it and I know I will finish it because I feel the guilt of not completing it. It is not even guilt, it is a sense of obligation to myself. And no other course really means much at the moment. Usually my interest has changed by now. That is already a huge plus to me and is evidence of some growth. And I know other people could have finished it twice by now. For me, this is slightly relative because I have such issues with focusing on things and maintaining my interest for the whole period, maintaining my enthusiasm this far - and knowing I will continue until the end - is already reward enough.

That is how I am feeling about my own progress, and I am about half way through it too. So I hope that gives you some solace or perspective, if it helps. I really laboured on the first written section, the 10 passes, but the entire process was fantastic and necessary I am really looking forward to the rest of the course. 

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:
1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

So what you've discovered here is the threshold between Zone of Excellence and Zone of Genius. Living inside your Zone of Genius is SCARY! That's why most people don't have a life purpose and never will. This is emotionally challenging stuff. Lots of resistance will come up.

Best thing I can suggest is to just be mindful of the resistance and keep pushing through the course and doing the assignments. Don't worry yet about "But how will I do it? How will I make it all work out in the end?" << Those questions are not as important to answer as you might think. The important thing is to simply get clear about what you want to do with your life. And the assignments will help you do that.

Also realize that this is a long-term journey. You don't need to do it all in one month. You can take a couple of months off and then come back and finish it.

Leo, what are your thoughts on my last post in response to Ian?

It took me a while to finish the course too. I bought it the week it came out and ended taking mini breaks from the course and would come back.

Some feelings I identified were fear of failure, the idea that I was finally taking 100% responsibility for myself which felt overwhelming, and many limiting beliefs. I was very resistant and still go back into the course and re watch the videos. 

My suggestion is to try and pinpoint what you are feeling and then go back and watch a video that will help you get through it.

8 minutes ago, Denis said:

Leo, what are your thoughts on my last post in response to Ian?

I don't think there's a need to bring Graves into this.

Just finish the course and you'll experience a HUGE upward shift. Life purpose is not only for people in stage Green. Life purpose is good for people at any stage. In fact, if you want to really ace stage Orange, find your life purpose ASAP. It's hard to make money without a clear sense of direction and passion for your work.

I don't see life purpose as me doing charity work for others or sacrificing myself for others. Just the opposite. My life purpose is for ME! It fuels me. It's not some kind of altruistic burden.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

8 minutes ago, Sarah_Flagg said:

It took me a while to finish the course too. I bought it the week it came out and ended taking mini breaks from the course and would come back.

Some feelings I identified were fear of failure, the idea that I was finally taking 100% responsibility for myself which felt overwhelming, and many limiting beliefs. I was very resistant and still go back into the course and re watch the videos. 

My suggestion is to try and pinpoint what you are feeling and then go back and watch a video that will help you get through it.

That´s great to hear, well done! 

How did you feel when you fininshed the course? Did you get a clear sense of where you should be heading? Or did it feel different?

Edited by Jackthelad
Additional question

Shit, I don't have any more upvotes left for today. I will pay you guys back except for Leo (guy is rolling in upvotes as it is)